New Years Resolutions

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Pradeep
Warrant Officer

RE:New Years Resolutions

Post by Pradeep » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

For those trying to quit smoking. Chantix is the way to go in my opinion. I smoked for 18 years, a pack a day. I got to the 3rd week (first week you smoke while taking the pill) and never looked back. They say it can take up to 3 months worth of use but for me, 3 weeks was all I needed. I am around smokers all the time on post and never have that urge. I will tell you, about that 2nd week into it (dosage increases a bit), you'll notice that you feel like you "Should" be smoking (like when your in your car), but you don't have the urge. By end of week 2, you'll probably notice that your dreams are much more intensive and your mood during the day is neutral. At least, that's the way it was for me. By end of week 3, I had no desires and just tried to see what would happen if I didn't use the pills any more and I had zero cravings. Good luck.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:48 am

good for you pradeep!

It's a horrible addiction because it combines one of the most addictive substances around (nicotine) with a habit-forming aspect (i.e. a smoker gets in to a routine, cig with coffee, cig after dinner, etc, etc) so the behavior becomes engrained in the smoker. Most people start when they are young, just the time we all think we will live forever, so by the time you realize the harm of the habit you're already hooked. Really sucks.

As to rude nurse - no excuse. It's OK to vent (whatever your job) but to do it in front of the person/family/etc is unacceptable. That's what co-workers and break rooms are for.

Feel free to share resolutions posted! More fishing, that's always a good one. :-)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:20 am

Fishing resolutions: Catch a golden trout, a non-lake Chelan mack, a non-columbia river sturgeon and a Dolly.

non-fishing resolution: Organize all the clutter in the house and climb Mt. Olympus. OR do the entire wonderland trail at mt. rainier. I'm going to give up smoking for lent.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Stop smoking crack....and more family fishing trips,more often.

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:20 am

the only resolution i'll make this year is to stop making New Years resolutions and actually do more of the things i really want to do. life is far too short and fleeting to be 'wishin i was fishin':fish: ...

i will add that quitting smoking is my main priority. it's been the 300lb gorilla in my life that has haunted me for far too many years. from all my experience and observations, the one and only thing that does work is the WILL to quit smoking. chantrix, nicotine patches, hypnosis, plain old willpower or whatever, they are all personal choices about how you wish to attempt it. any and all of these have the capacity to work... or not. the important thing is to never quit trying...

Good luck to all, and a Happy New Year:salut:
fishing may not be life, but it's a great alternative

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:28 am

I wish I had a 300 pound gorilla. That would be friggin neat. He'd live on my couch and eat bananas and ants on a log (also known as celery, peanut butter and raisins).