Members Only?

Having problems with our website? Can't seem to find what you are looking for? Ask your questions here.
Lotech Joe
Commodore

Members Only?

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:04 pm

While perusing some of the lake reports, I noticed that the methods of fishing were all listed as "Members Only." I went and checked a report that I submitted and it too said "Members Only." What gives? Is this information that only Premium Members are now privy to?
:scratch:

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Members Only?

Post by Toni » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 pm

You weren't logged in. Hit the log in button and it will take you to the forum index. Then you have to go back to what you were looking at. At least that is what has been happening to me.

I don't have to reenter my name or password but it logs me out when I turn off the computer.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Toni wrote:You weren't logged in. Hit the log in button and it will take you to the forum index. Then you have to go back to what you were looking at. At least that is what has been happening to me.

I don't have to reenter my name or password but it logs me out when I turn off the computer.
Correct, membership is free, the premium membership has advanced features.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:09 am

I was logged in. And I'm logged in now. I just went to some of the lakes to see what's going on, and while the first couple of reports list the methods, the rest of them show nothing at all for techniques. Something is screwy here. Aliens maybe? 8-[

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:29 am

Joe,

There seems to be something amiss with how the saved cookie is being read. As Toni mentioned when you first get to the site, just hit the log-in button and if you have set up your browser to save your info, you'll automatically be logged in and sent to the forum. From there you'll have full access once again.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:45 am

G-Man wrote:Joe,

There seems to be something amiss with how the saved cookie is being read. As Toni mentioned when you first get to the site, just hit the log-in button and if you have set up your browser to save your info, you'll automatically be logged in and sent to the forum. From there you'll have full access once again.
I am always logged in. Or have been. Only recently has this been happening.
I get an email that I have a report for a lake I am interested in. I click the link and it opens WALAkes but not completely so I see the members only stuff. Then I click the login and it goes to forum index. So I go back to the email click the link again and it opens as it should.
This morning the email was for this forum. I clicked link and it opened right up and I didn't have to login. Now my question is; is it only happening for reports?
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23 pm

I now know that I am logged in all the time for forums but if I turn off the computer it wipes away my login for reports. Meaning in my email I have the link to the forum. Click and I am there. Reports, I click the link and I see members only. I have to log in which changes the reports to board index. Then I click the email link again and it opens like it use to but in a new window..

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Yep. Long standing problem. Everything on the rest of the site that requires some kind of authentication will redirect to the forum, where the cookie is picked up, then you have to head back to the site. There's no need to login, just come to the forum first, then back to whatever you were doing.

I know about this problem, and it is currently the largest problem with the site I am wrestling with. I'll get it fixed when I can find a solution.

For techies, it's a matter of trying to integrate .NET Forms Authentication with the phpBB's PHP3 cookie. It doesn't work, and there's nothing short of engineering my own solution to it that will help. That's about all I have to say about that.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:50 am

here is my "fix" for the users.

This is assuming you're auto logged in. You first click on the forum to verify you are logged in. Now now you click on "Latest Reports".

In there, you refresh with F5. After the refresh,it'll show the member details.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 am

FishingFool wrote:here is my "fix" for the users.

This is assuming you're auto logged in. You first click on the forum to verify you are logged in. Now now you click on "Latest Reports".

Tried it. Didn't work for me. Done trying.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

You won't have to worry about it much longer. I've been rewriting the code for that part of the site and I'll have it in place soon enough. It's a real pain in the rear mixing a PHP based forum and a .NET website.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for your efforts Aaron.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:46 am

[thumbup]

Ya, he has so much to do, some things just have to wait their turn.
Tom.

Interests: living

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:
FishingFool wrote:here is my "fix" for the users.

Tried it. Didn't work for me. Done trying.
When I say verified that you're log in. All you have to do is look up and see if it shows "Logout" up top. Then you go to latest reports. Click on whatever report you want to view. It show show members only or something like that. But as soon as you hit F5 to refresh, it should load up properly. This is how I do it on IE9. Works every time.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I would also recommend downloading Google Chrome as a second browser. I use I.E. mainly but when IE acts up it's nice to have an alternative.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm using Firefox. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:43 pm

There is no "fix" for the logging in problem.

I'm working on one but it requires rewriting a large portion of the backend software that runs the website. If I had to guess, it will be a few weeks.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Return to “Bugs & Problems, Moderator Support”