Looking for a place to go over the holidays

Looking for a spontanious fishing partner? Got a quick trip open seat/share a ride available? Post it here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
NWrookie
Petty Officer

Looking for a place to go over the holidays

Post by NWrookie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I am a fairly recent transplant from AZ (5 years) and I am looking for some suggestions on where to go fishing over the holidays. I am off the 27th - 30th, and I can go anywhere in the state. I get a company vehicle (with free gas) and love exploring. I have a cartopper boat with an electric motor so this limits some lakes and rivers. I have fished the Bogachiel a couple of years ago with no luck and might try again. I really just want to go somehere I have a chance of catching anything. I am not picky, I enjoy being out. I will be going alone unless anyone would like to join me and show me some tricks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

S10driver85
Angler

Re: Looking for a place to go over the holidays

Post by S10driver85 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Puget sound lakes are receiving over 300,000 trout this winter, check the stocking reports on the wdfw website and have fun, also some lakes have gone to a 10 trout limit.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 pm

I meant to reply to your thread quite awhile ago, sorry for the delay.

My favorite fishing road trip includes a handful of lakes all located in the Okanogan area of N. Eastern WA. The place that I make my base camp is; http://www.spectaclelakeresort.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is located right along Spectacle lake. 50' from waters edge. They have row boats, as well as I think electric motors. A dock right outside your door. The rates are quite cheap, especially this time of year. Not to mention a whole lot of simple pleasure amenities. BBQ grill outside your door, horse shoes, swimming pool, store with the basics, etc. etc. You can sit on your back porch, have a wood fire outdoors, and be 50' from the water.

The fishing in Spectacle lake itself is fair for simple rainbows. I would go out in the moonlight and slow drag a fly around the lake, it was non stop action.
More importantly is there are so many other lakes in the area.

Another great road trip, with COMPLETELY different fishing is Omak Lake. This lake holds a rare species of trout, Lahontan Cutthroat trout. These are large fish, more like a small salmon. The lake is on an Indian reservation and requires a separate pass which is easily obtained in town. The fishing is OFF DA HOOK!! These are not 12" stocker rainbows, but fish are easily 3-4 lbs and can be upwards to 8-9 lbs. I think the state record comes from here, and is quite a bit larger still.

All that being said... It is the dead of winter, so would need to check your regs. on various lakes, etc. for what is open right now.
I have fished Omak in the 1st week of January, so you are probably safe to some degree there.

If you have any further questions, send me a PM.

NWrookie
Petty Officer

Post by NWrookie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The last windstorm decided to knock down a couple of panels of my fence so I will be working on that during my vacation. Woo Hoo!! I have finshed in Concunully(sp) and loved the area so I will definately give it a try. I have seen some fishing shows about Omak, it looks fun also. I will be rescheduling some trips for late February/Early March and will probably get some advice then.Thanks again

Return to “Quick Search for a Fishing Buddy”