Anyone want to fish American Lake?

Looking for a spontanious fishing partner? Got a quick trip open seat/share a ride available? Post it here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sthrcave
Petty Officer

Anyone want to fish American Lake?

Post by sthrcave » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 am

Looking for someone to fish American Lake near JBLM with. I have a 24' boat with ample gear/downriggers/electronics. Hoping to find someone that knows the lake. Maybe we can get out and pick up some kokes, trout and/or perch.

Lou Smith
Petty Officer

Re: Anyone want to fish American Lake?

Post by Lou Smith » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Until you find someone to go with you, go to the map section and print out a contour map of the lake. This should help you get familiar with the depths.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:10 pm

i haven't fished it in over 25 years but used to do well by the veterans hospital for big perch and kokes. keep meaning to leave the saltwater for it but just can't get motivated.

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:36 pm

I so want to go, but know nothing about that lake. Hit me up if you just need company. :cheers:

sthrcave
Petty Officer

Post by sthrcave » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm

angry john wrote:I so want to go, but know nothing about that lake. Hit me up if you just need company. :cheers:

Sounds good man. I'm thinking that we can try trolling for a couple of hours and if it doesn't pan out we can start throwing some plastics and nightcrawlers out and maybe catch some perch or smallmouth. I have trolled the lake a few times and am a bit familiar with that game but I have never gotten into the bass or perch. I have heard it's a great lake for both but I have yet to find them. I did see a bass hanging out under a dock that had to have been at least 6 pounds one day.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 pm

the largest perch I ever saw personally came from american, the same guy got one of the largest kokanee the same night. both caught by the hospital by a guy everyone called uncle milty or something like that. he used maggots he grew himself on a head of one of his slaughtered cows. he was a regular there but probably long dead now. he used fly line marked for depth on a spinning rod and new that area very well.

Slacktime
Petty Officer

Post by Slacktime » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:04 am

There are some huge perch in American lake that will bite if you can find them. I've fished it quite a bit for perch many years now. This time of year you'll find them in 55' to 75' of water and a little finicky. We start fishing harder for them end of April beginning of May. Hope this helps tight lines.
SlackTime <*{{{{{><

sthrcave
Petty Officer

Post by sthrcave » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for the replies! I plan on getting out there this weekend at some point. Most likely it will be sunday. I'll post in this thread before I go out. Not sure if I am going to fool with the boat or bank fish off the bottom for trout.

Return to “Quick Search for a Fishing Buddy”