Private stocked lake in Maple Valley

Looking for a spontanious fishing partner? Got a quick trip open seat/share a ride available? Post it here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mizm05
Commander

Private stocked lake in Maple Valley

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I recently moved to Maple Valley in April and have picked up fishing again. It's a 50 acre lake that gets down to 65 feet. I still haven't figured out the secret of what the trout like. I've caught a couple on chartreuse power worms on a dropshot rig off the bottom...but the guys catching the big ones (6-9 lbs) are all trolling.

So...I'll give you lake access and you drop some knowledge on me, and hopefully catch some nice fish in the process. I've got flies (with a spinning reel and bobber, or no bobber), a couple rapalas (floating and count down, perch and rainbow colors), different color power worms (from what I've seen, these fish seem to prefer green/chartreuse), power bait in various colors, wedding rings, a flasher, spoons and spinners, marshmallows, worms, crayfish scent and tubes...there is no reason I shouldn't be pulling in a monster. Just have to figure out techniques and how to find where the fish are holding.

All I ask is that you keep the language relatively clean...I cuss a bit here and there, usually when a fish gets away (I'm a Christian, but not perfect by any means)...but for the most part I just find that to be a real turn off...I know, it probably sounds lame, but just being honest. I promise I'm not boring...I have a sarcastic wit and am not a total lame-o.

I have a 12 foot inflatable Sevylor "Fish Hunter" with a 30 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor. I can fit one other adult with me, and gear. Or, if we keep the gear light, one kid could join us. Depending on the weekend, I may have my son with me. I made a wood floor for it, so you could either sit on the bow of the boat, or I have a spare plank of sanded plywood you could use as a bench seat (granted my son isn't with us and using it). Just fair warning, after a while you'll need to stretch your knees...and if you have a folding type padded stadium seat, that would really help your back from getting tight. I usually like to hit the lake in the afternoon/evening hours...but could probably make a morning run work as well if it's a weekend.

Will have to plan a bit in advance (maybe a week or two) so I can clear it with the boss (the Mrs.).

Hope to meet some cool people, and learn a thing or two!

There are also good size bass, perch, bluegill and bullheads in our lake.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Private stocked lake in Maple Valley

Post by Amx » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:52 pm

I've got some trout type lures I have no use for, I don't fish for trout, you can have them, but I'll have to look for them, it'll take a day or so. I can look tomorrow and let you know. Lots of bobbers I've found floating in the lakes, so many I quit saving them. Even some old tackle boxes. Let me know if you want any of this stuff.
Tom.

Interests: living

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Much obliged! I may be interested in the lures for sure. I'm good on the rest of the gear. Thanks!!!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 pm

By chance is this lake you are referring to Kathleen? I used to fish the lake as a kid and into my teens. Regardless, what you need is a sonar unit or a water temperature gauge that can tell you the temps at various depths. You'll want to keep your gear in the area just under the line where the waters cool to the low 60's also known as the thermocline. Simply fishing on the bottom isn't going to cut it as the water may be deprived of oxygen in those deeper sections of the lake. Once you find the thermocline the issue becomes how to get your gear there and keep it there. With a downrigger it is easy, with leaded line a bit tougher and with weights on your line you need a good system. If you are interested in more info just pm me and I can go into more detail.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 pm

No, it's Pipe Lake. I have a low end Hawkeye fish finder. It can at least give me a depth reading. I've tried various depths. My last trout was about 25 to 30 feet down. I've read about thermoclines, just don't have the extra dough laying around for a fancy fish finder.

Was gonna try a ghetto downrigger with a 3 way swivel with an 18 inch leader to a snap swivel with 1/2 oz bass weights, and then a 3 to 4 foot leader with my lure. I can add or subtract weight as I need to. Gonna start at an ounce and go from there. Will see where the strikes come. Also gonna try playing with the speed. They are out there. I just gotta find them.

Sound like a decent plan?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:22 am

Unless you can find the thermocline and can get your gear near it, you will be shooting in the dark so to speak. If you plan on trolling, I'd start with a simple wedding band/stacked bead spinner rig tipped with worm. This is a lure that will catch nearly anything that swims. Second, I'd get some lead core line or a clip on line counter, you will need to know how much line you have out and be able to repeat it consistently. If you can get lead core, the rule of thumb is that it will drop your lure 5' for every color (30' of line) you let out. I'd start looking at 30' down as a starting point which means 6 colors and equals 180' of line out the back of your boat. If you opt against the lead core method, you are going to need to do some trigonometry and get good a judging angles. A simple inline sinker or dropper weight 4 feet in front of your lure should get the job done. I prefer to use snap weights instead of inline sinkers, they are pricey though and take a little getting used to but they allow you to change weights quickly and be a bit stealthier in your presentation. As line diameter, lure drag, boat speed and the amount of weight used all play a factor in the angle at which your line will be cutting though the water, you'll need to do this on the water and it will vary with each set up you use. You can make your own chart or use one like this, they are all over the internet.

The good part about this is that as the waters cool back down the fish will typically come up and you won't need to get down as deep as you do in the summer and early fall. Keep in mind however, that they also have full range of the water column at that time and can change their preferences from day to day, usually dependent upon the barometric pressure and amount of sunlight hitting the water.

By the way, if you troll a spinner with worm in shallows/just outside the weedline you will most likely pick up a few spiny rays this time of year.

Lastly, if you haven't already, check our Marc Martyn's article on thermoclines. http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=300

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:52 am

Thank you sir.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:11 am

I caught a rainbow on a dropshot in 20 foot of water today, slimy thing.

Oh ya, it was about 18" long.
Tom.

Interests: living

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Darn it. Tonight was frustrating. Trolled various depths and just caught tiny bass as we passed the banks. Hooked up with something big and fought it for a few minutes but it darted through some weeds and popped off. Had to be either a big trout or bass. Also lost a big bullhead in some weeds.

Think I'm gonna focus on bullheads and bass until it cools off some. If I happen to land a trout, great.

Return to “Quick Search for a Fishing Buddy”