Big fish program and certificates

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
tony53
Angler

Big fish program and certificates

Post by tony53 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Mike:
I have seen that some states have a lunker or big fish program. Does not look like the Washington fish and game is going to do a program like that so I think NW fishing report should. It would get people fishing for more types of fish, and probably really get them excited about fishing. You can check online to see the states that have these types of programs. The fisherman in those state seem to really like the programs. They have to catch a fish over a certain size depending on the species, send in a picture of the fish on a measuring board, release it, then the state sends them a nice certificate. You could charge people to be in the big fish program to pay for the certificates. Thanks again for the great website.
Tony53

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Big fish program and certificates

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed May 09, 2018 5:54 am

Sounds like a fun idea. Nothing too official just a fun yearly photo entry deal. Wouldn't call it a contest, there might be some kind of red tape issue with the state or something.
NWFR big fish of the species award. I like it. =D>

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Pretty sure that'd fall in the department's derby rules. By the way the law is writren you can't even bet a buck on big fish for the day with a couple buddies without a permit.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 am

spokey9 wrote:Pretty sure that'd fall in the department's derby rules. By the way the law is writren you can't even bet a buck on big fish for the day with a couple buddies without a permit.
Sure you can, just so long as there are no more than 5 licensed anglers involved. You and 4 buddies want to put $20 apiece ($100 to winning angler) in the pot for big fish of the day? Perfectly legal - does not meet the definition of a fishing contest since less than 6 licensed anglers are involved regardless of prize value. [wink]
WAC 220-220-220
Fishing contests.
(1) Contest defined: By definition, a fishing contest exists when 6 or more licensed persons fish competitively and determine winners, regardless of prize value.
Can a dozen licensed buddies compete on big fish for a certificate that says "Big Fish Winner" without a permit? No. More than 6 competing for a prize even if the prize is just a piece of paper "regardless of value", meets definition of a fishing contest, and must comply with all applicable requirements in the code.

Can read the same on WDFW's website which is where I found the source WAC - https://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing_contests/
Last edited by hewesfisher on Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount