How to improve delay with reports

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
soundkite
Petty Officer

How to improve delay with reports

Post by soundkite » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I would guess this issue has been explored in the past, but I'd love to find a way to reduce the delay with publishing fishing reports. Here are a couple ideas.

1. After a member makes a # of proper reports, his/her reports are posted immediately without administrator review.
2. Increase the # of administrators who can review reports behind the scenes and ok them.
3. Members who pass some type of written test get their reports posted without review.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: How to improve delay with reports

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 pm

soundkite wrote:I would guess this issue has been explored in the past, but I'd love to find a way to reduce the delay with publishing fishing reports. Here are a couple ideas.

1. After a member makes a # of proper reports, his/her reports are posted immediately without administrator review.
2. Increase the # of administrators who can review reports behind the scenes and ok them.
3. Members who pass some type of written test get their reports posted without review.
Thanks for the suggestions. Aaron and I have talked about adding the mods to approve reports. We can revisit that. I personally like reading the reports first. [biggrin]

As to automatic posting without review, I don't see that happening. We try to catch reports that have rules violations or picture violations before they get posted, so having someone review is a checkpoint I'd not want to lose. As it is there are still reports that get through which is upsetting to people and not what we want to see. That happens because let's face it, neither Aaron nor I are up to speed on every reg for ever body of water in the state. So sometimes things slip through.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

soundkite
Petty Officer

Post by soundkite » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks, Mike. For me, river reports are by far the most valuable part of this site. Perhaps WL is not able to provide the service I crave the most: Prompt river reports from the day. Too often, reports made earlier in the day do not get published until late in the evening. This limits my ability to use these reports to decide where I might like to fish at times like when I get off work in the evening. Though, lately, these reports could be more useful to know where NOT to fish! Perhaps there's an "app for that".

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:53 am

I learned that relying on others reports sometimes puts you the fisherman reading about things that could have been. The best reports are the reports you make yourself.
Eat, sleep, fish

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:07 pm

soundkite wrote:Thanks, Mike. For me, river reports are by far the most valuable part of this site. Perhaps WL is not able to provide the service I crave the most: Prompt river reports from the day. Too often, reports made earlier in the day do not get published until late in the evening. This limits my ability to use these reports to decide where I might like to fish at times like when I get off work in the evening. Though, lately, these reports could be more useful to know where NOT to fish! Perhaps there's an "app for that".
1) IF I could (I would) quit my day job and do this fulltime. Unfortunately, we don't make enough money to pay the mortgage. 8-[
2) There will be an app for that... someday. We promise!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:05 am

ncwflounderer wrote:I learned that relying on others reports sometimes puts you the fisherman reading about things that could have been. The best reports are the reports you make yourself.
I completely agree. I don't read other's reports to decide where, how, or when to fish. I read for general info and enjoyment. Then again, I don't fish rivers, but don't think it'd matter if I did for the same reason I don't now. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

soundkite
Petty Officer

Post by soundkite » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 am

ncwflounderer wrote:The best reports are the reports you make yourself.
But my "best reports" on this site lately have been skunks. Arrgggh, your philosophy makes my head spin! I understand that we all fish for different reasons. When I get a free day, I like to explore several spots in search of fish. The reports on this site help maximize my TOW (Time On the Water) and minimize my searching. Timely reports would make it that much better.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm about to post a report on the Snohomish, fishing the same spot as yesterday - 6 fish yesterday, nada today. Just a bunch of coho giving me the fin. So in this case the report would give you useful information that the bite had gone off. It could just as easily been opposite, bad one day and great the next. As many have said, ultimately ya gotta have time on the water.

I look at the reports as ways for anglers to share information, locations (not down to the rock), techniques, and just to be part of an angling community. Fishing is one of those sports/hobbies that can be enjoyed in solitude, but also is very satisfying to share with friends. I think that's a big appeal of fishing websites, the sharing aspect.

And for myself, I have found my reports to be invaluable as I have gotten older. I go back and review previous reports to refresh my memory on trips taken. You youngsters don't have that problem - yet. #-o

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I remember everything I've done in the past.

Well, back to yesterday anyway. [biggrin]

I've even been taking notes on every Bass I've caught this year. Tried to do that in years past, but that only lasted 1 or 2 fish, then quit, too much work. Next year I'll have to be sure to take better notes on the weather and depths.
Tom.

Interests: living