Share the wealth!

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Re: Share the wealth!

Post by chrome_chasin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Weren't we all newbies at some point? I am positive at some point thru out life someone, be it a friend, co-worker, or family member has shown all of us something new. From a new lure, a new rod or reel, new spot on the river or lake, or new piece of equipment- too any number of things. I do not know one fisherman who is 100% self taught, not one. Some of us would rather learn by asking questions, by observing then from reading it from a book, then there are those that are only able to learn by reading it from a book. Every time I am out and see other fisherman I will ask how they are doing and if possible to see what they are using, and have lost count of how many times this has been ask of me.

Either way, why start the name calling or the bashing or putting someone down like this, when he was only trying to gain some knowledge?

I have ask for advice from this "the friendliest" forum as well only to receive the exact same beat down. It is what it is. I have even gone as far as to offer to drive, supply gas and food, only to get out and be shown how to correctly fish a system. There are a select few that will give you a few tidbits here and there and an even smaller number of members that will share some great info with you if you pm them, but more often then not you will be told to hire a guide or go to the library. Sure, which is great advice, if it was your cup of tea or if your wallet could afford it.

I will agree with one thing that is said more regularly then any other, time on the water is the ONLY way to learn. Reading or watching videos will never ever catch a fish if you dont have a line in the water.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:58 pm

another great way to get help from the site is become somewhat established, write a couple reports on your lousy fishing. post on forums asking a very direct piece of info..

THE VERY BEST THING.

call Nate, or Danny, they offer walking river guide i have been out with both of them within the last year. the prices are very very good for a day of guided fishing when just doing a walking trip. when you are with them they will show you a couple of their honey holes (they want to put you on the fish) and drill them for info. i did it with both of them and when ever i have some extra cash i try to get out with them again. now's the time. i just messaged Nate he had a couple weekend days open a few days ago.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm

this seems just borderline whiny now.. IMO..

you have 15yr stepson your trying to keep from getting bored? WOW... i have a 6yr old son to work with.. that's a completely different beast.. I take him trout fishing cuz its easy, I also saved and bought a cheap boat to increase our chances.. ;)

like the last poster said.. go to one river and master it and your successes will increase..
I don't think anyone should be obligated to give up their exact locations.. i see spots in the forums all the time come up, i watch videos i use google maps and i hammer the river when i can (usually one day a week like the rest of the weekend warriors) basically i put in the work.. and am fanatical by nature, it helps..

its way more rewarding doing this crap yourself.. put some work in.. or.. go find everyone else because most times that's where the fish are..

ALSO.. hire a good professional guide.. I have twice now and learned more every time..

i leave with this..

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:10 pm

so much knowledge at your finger tips..
http://www.hotshotguide.com/WA_Skykomish_R.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 pm

[quote="oneshot"]this seems just borderline whiny now.. IMO..

you have 15yr stepson your trying to keep from getting bored? WOW... i have a 6yr old son to work with.. that's a completely different beast.. I take him trout fishing cuz its easy, I also saved and bought a cheap boat to increase our chances.. ;)

[-X

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

This is going nowhere fast, im done with this. I should have known that ignorance would turn this thread into a bashing station.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:I am happy to post technique, but don't usually post exact spots and get PM'ed or report comments all the time with nothing more than "Where exactly were you and how do you get there?". No hello, No nice to meet you - just "GIMME". I don't bother to even respond to those. Now if someone strikes up a conversation and is really showing that they want to learn, I probably wont give them my go to spot, but I will give them places where they can catch fish. Also there are always Hotspots.
Attitude is everything. If you're doing the "gimmee" that gets old fast. Believe me. Beggars can't be choosers, but you can move mountains if you're polite about it. The internet is no different than real life, if you go around tapping fishermen on the shoulder uninvited, "Whatcha uuuuuuuuuuuussin" "what color" "HOW DEEP!" every time you see a rod go off, it gets old, and it's pretty rude.

That being said,I stand by the site's purpose as an informational tool, and yes, it's newschool. Aside from "exact locations" you'll learn a lot from me for free. There's a search bar, there are 15 years of reports, there are articles and hot spots on google maps. If there's a spot on a river or lake within 90 minutes of Seattle, there's something that has been said about it on this site. And don't get upset at the guys that don't respond, because that's how it goes.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 am

I used to gather all the information I needed off of the reports section of this site. It wasn't until years later that started using the forum to gather some very useful information. Never mind my "joined" date to the right of this box, I'm on my 3rd or 4th screen name since I first started visiting this site, kept forgetting the log in info. LOL Anyhoo, I've found the vast majority on here as being very helpful, this has been cyclical though, as is life. Right now you have a great bunch of helpful guys for multiple species. I applaud the mods and members who repeatedly answer the same questions over and over, year after year..... Here's one thing you may not have tried as of yet chrome-chassin, use the search feature here in the forums, IT IS OVERFLOWING with extremely useful threads of nearly every fishing technique used and bodies of water in Washington and other states. I figure it's a vastly underutilized valuable feature here at walakes. I don't recall being stiffed on adequate information to go catch some fish.... The site is a little light on some saltwater salmon info, but it is available. While your waiting for a response to an information request, peruse the near endless information available via the search feature.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 am

Bmastro777 wrote:This is going nowhere fast, im done with this. I should have known that ignorance would turn this thread into a bashing station.
OK - reset - let me remind you of your original post...
Bmastro777 wrote:Guys, lots of us members come on this site to check reports and get help on new fishing techniques. Personally when posting a report, I try my best to describe where, what, when and how I caught fish. A report that doesn't have this information is useless to users. We are here to help each other, not gloat about how you supposedly hammered the fish and then not give any information on what was producing. I work hard and put aside my free time to take my boy fishing. I've put in a lot of work trying to find out where and when to catch fish and if someone wants to know I'm more than happy to share my experience. I enjoy being out on the water but enjoy catching fish while I'm there more! Remember, there's plenty of fish out their and helping other anglers is what this site is all about. Many of you members have given me very useful information that I've put into action and am a better angler for it. And I thank you! Even the best of you fisherman can learn something, so share the wealth!
I do not see any specific question in this post at all. You don't specify what type of fishing you are doing, what you want to learn, nothing. In your perfect world, what exactly is the response you are looking for? Apologies? A flood of information about all types of fishing in all types of conditions? Promises that everybody will try to do better?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:49 am

MarkFromSea wrote:I used to gather all the information I needed off of the reports section of this site. It wasn't until years later that started using the forum to gather some very useful information. Never mind my "joined" date to the right of this box, I'm on my 3rd or 4th screen name since I first started visiting this site, kept forgetting the log in info. LOL Anyhoo, I've found the vast majority on here as being very helpful, this has been cyclical though, as is life. Right now you have a great bunch of helpful guys for multiple species. I applaud the mods and members who repeatedly answer the same questions over and over, year after year..... Here's one thing you may not have tried as of yet chrome-chassin, use the search feature here in the forums, IT IS OVERFLOWING with extremely useful threads of nearly every fishing technique used and bodies of water in Washington and other states. I figure it's a vastly underutilized valuable feature here at walakes. I don't recall being stiffed on adequate information to go catch some fish.... The site is a little light on some saltwater salmon info, but it is available. While your waiting for a response to an information request, peruse the near endless information available via the search feature.
Here's the thing Mark, yes I have read several years back in the archives, and yes there is a ton of useful info, all of which is repeated many times over, but I believe that you missed my point to the OP. My point to him was that he was going to get the same answer that all new members receive when asking for blanket help such as this. Research, hire a guide, and time on the water. As for myself, I feel that I need to defend myself here, I am not the type that sits down and learns from reading, just doesn't happen. I'm the type that needs to see it and then do it. However when I find myself wanting to ask for advice I try and keep my questions on a more personal level with in PM's. There are three members on here that when ask give great advice, which I am thankful for. When it comes to me, I will always offer free rides, have plenty of jigs to share and always be open to learning anything that I can to improve my game and if given a chance to share some knowledge to those that ask.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 am

I think you have the right attitude chrome_chasin, I try to be that way myself. Not long ago I had no clue what I was doing anywhere now i have half a clue on lakes and maybe a quarter of a clue on rivers, mostly because of this site, reading anything I can my hands on and getting out on the water and trying what I've learned out. My experience is that most members on this site are gracious with their knowledge and most anglers I have approached while out have been as well, some not so much but that's life and you can't get bent out of shape because of it.
It's just my $.02 and may not even be worth that but I think the way Bmastro777 positioned this is why he's not getting very positive replies. As Gringo Pescador pointed out there are no specific questions that people could help answer, just a general gripe that he didn't like the way people were writing reports, then follows up by almost implying/blaming others for his poor fishing experiences. I can understand experienced anglers getting annoyed that they come on here and offer some tips and tricks to help people out and then are confronted by someone basically saying "that's not enough, tell me EVERYTHING or it's your fault if I have a bad experience". If instead it was positioned as, "hey, I'm a newbie and struggling, I'd appreciate advice on x,y,z..." I think the thread would have gone differently. Again, just my $.02.
Bmastro777, I'm really not trying to pile on, I'm still a newbie and understand your frustration especially with river fishing, i've yet to catch a fish without the assistance of a guide on rivers, it's tough fishing and getting skunked is just part of the deal even for experience anglers, I'm resigned to the fact it could be awhile before my 1/4 clue advances to a 1/2 clue on rivers, it's just going to take time and effort. My comments above are meant as constructive criticism not bashing you, as I've mentioned, I'm a newbie and have found fellow walakers very helpful when approached courteously. I think you will too. I don't fish for bass at all but would be more than willing to share what I've learned about trolling for trout and kokanee if you have any questions about that just PM me. Take care and tight lines!

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:39 am

Well said JD. Let me know if you are ever in the south end. I'm out of the state until next weekend but plan on spending some time on the water that following weekend. Maybe try my hand at some Koke fishing. Something that I have yet to do.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:23 am

I can understand experienced anglers getting annoyed that they come on here and offer some tips and tricks to help people out and then are confronted by someone basically saying "that's not enough, tell me EVERYTHING or it's your fault if I have a bad experience".
There is a guy on another web site that is so stuckup that he DEMANDS info from anyone who tries to make a fishing report, or comment, and this guy is one of the better fishermen in the state, and he still thinks everyone should tell him everything. And when I did, he still couldn't understand. I guess I should have drawn him a map on how to cast a lure, and where, and when, and why.
Tom.

Interests: living

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am

Sounds good chrome_chasin! Kokanee fishing becomes an addiction, just fyi...at least for me it has. Going to give it a go tomorrow! I have different parts of my and my wife's family in town until mid-Aug after this weekend but hopefully we can find a time to get at 'em! Tight lines and safe travels cc!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm

chrome_chasin wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:I used to gather all the information I needed off of the reports section of this site. It wasn't until years later that started using the forum to gather some very useful information. Never mind my "joined" date to the right of this box, I'm on my 3rd or 4th screen name since I first started visiting this site, kept forgetting the log in info. LOL Anyhoo, I've found the vast majority on here as being very helpful, this has been cyclical though, as is life. Right now you have a great bunch of helpful guys for multiple species. I applaud the mods and members who repeatedly answer the same questions over and over, year after year..... Here's one thing you may not have tried as of yet chrome-chassin, use the search feature here in the forums, IT IS OVERFLOWING with extremely useful threads of nearly every fishing technique used and bodies of water in Washington and other states. I figure it's a vastly underutilized valuable feature here at walakes. I don't recall being stiffed on adequate information to go catch some fish.... The site is a little light on some saltwater salmon info, but it is available. While your waiting for a response to an information request, peruse the near endless information available via the search feature.
Here's the thing Mark, yes I have read several years back in the archives, and yes there is a ton of useful info, all of which is repeated many times over, but I believe that you missed my point to the OP. My point to him was that he was going to get the same answer that all new members receive when asking for blanket help such as this. Research, hire a guide, and time on the water. As for myself, I feel that I need to defend myself here, I am not the type that sits down and learns from reading, just doesn't happen. I'm the type that needs to see it and then do it. However when I find myself wanting to ask for advice I try and keep my questions on a more personal level with in PM's. There are three members on here that when ask give great advice, which I am thankful for. When it comes to me, I will always offer free rides, have plenty of jigs to share and always be open to learning anything that I can to improve my game and if given a chance to share some knowledge to those that ask.
OK, Thanks Chrome! I'll take that as an open invite to fill a seat sometime. [biggrin] I agree with you 100% on the reading versus doing.
I purposely avoided the point of the original post since it doesn't seem useful to bash any one on here so I just offered an alternate information gathering method that I found useful in the past. I think it was 1999 when I first popped on here, oh hell I forget. LOL
I've seen some really good people chased out of here for one reason or another. I've had a few arguments myself with someone I now consider a friend but I thought he was a total ass back then. Thanks for the waders Bodo! Another time, we had a friendly carp thread, it was just plain fun until someone came and pissed on our parade, I think the thread got locked down it got so bad.

As for the original post of this thread, I'm not even going to reread it, since, as I recall it bashes the site and the people on here. I like this site, I like the people here, I've only met a few but that is more my fault than theirs.

PS I suck at rivers so I got nothin but respect for those that do well. [thumbsup]

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Damn! I just reread the original post. LOL He's not bashing the site at all there! LOL He's complimenting it! AND asking that people who post fishing reports just give a wee little bit more of helpful info, just the basics really.... That didn't sound so bad.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:32 am

Even if I told a newb where to go and what to use I still couldn't put you on a 20 fish day. You don't have tow and just wont get it. No matter what its a experiance thing. Lake tapped can be a very tough lake. We all get skunked at times. All of us know alot of each other and have for years. I have watched so many kids and adults come on here not knowing how to fish couple years later there almost pro. Fishing machine for example. Never one time ever have I saw somebody seem so entitled to the info we have spent our whole lives achieving. I teach my kids to work for what they get, maybe you and your stepson could do that together. It would be a wonderful life long bonding experiance. Read reports together fish together buy gear together. My boys love doing anything doesn't even matter if we catch fish because sometimes you just don't.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 am

I really like accurate fishing reports, BUT find they can be of limited value. Most everyone is willing to post successful reports--"Hey, look what I did!!"--myself included. Not so much with the unsuccessful days. A guy may make 4 trips to Lake Stevens catching two or three Kokes a day and not post his failures, but give him a day when he limits and presto---report. Unless you're Steelheadin360: "i will pull a limit when other people have a so-so day." [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

After MANY hours picking the brains of guys smarter than me (most of you) and drilling LOTS of holes in the water I've come to the simple conclusion that, for me, it's putting in the hours and being in the right place at the right time. When I'm in the right place and time for salmon or "Kokes" it doesn't matter a great deal what I have in front of them...I'll catch fish.

This last year I talked to a bunch of successful salmon and kokanee fishermen. Without exception the perfect leader length was: 28, 30, 31, 42, 48, 60 inches for salmon, deadliest color was: green, uv, white, orange, purple haze, or ??, and the perfect trolling speed was: 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 2.75, 3.0, or 3.5 mph (not knots, thank you very much!). And each of those guys would swear by those combos.

Some guys told me to change colors until I found what worked...another guy who I really respect said, "Be careful not to get 'gear panic'--the practice of yanking your stuff out of the water and switching every 15 minutes if you don't catch a fish. It's certainly frustrating seeing the other boats pulling in the fish when you can't, but gear out of the water will catch nothing.

I like having 3 or 4 proven combos I have faith in and fishing the hell out of them!