Share the wealth!

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Share the wealth!

Post by Bmastro777 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Guys, lots of us members come on this site to check reports and get help on new fishing techniques. Personally when posting a report, I try my best to describe where, what, when and how I caught fish. A report that doesn't have this information is useless to users. We are here to help each other, not gloat about how you supposedly hammered the fish and then not give any information on what was producing. I work hard and put aside my free time to take my boy fishing. I've put in a lot of work trying to find out where and when to catch fish and if someone wants to know I'm more than happy to share my experience. I enjoy being out on the water but enjoy catching fish while I'm there more! Remember, there's plenty of fish out their and helping other anglers is what this site is all about. Many of you members have given me very useful information that I've put into action and am a better angler for it. And I thank you! Even the best of you fisherman can learn something, so share the wealth!

gfakkema
Commander

Re: Share the wealth!

Post by gfakkema » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 pm

I think a little bit of gloating is healthy.. =D> :-" :cheers:
Its human nature to be a little competitive and with out it we would lack progression I think..
with that said though, its easy nuff to give up helpful techniques without locations.. it is good to see what people are using, andf always helpful

far as locations..
there are no stashes anymore, only folks willing to put in the work..

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm

This is a hot topic, so of course I'm going to chime right in! I learned the hard way. I put in the time, I looked at green trails maps, airplane pictures, went to the library and did all the leg work. I still put in the extra time to read the science forecasts, WDFW studies and whatnot. But in the end, I love to see folks on the water. Fishing, especially in the northwest rivers, is an amazing past time, and no matter what anyone says, more people should be doing it. There are a limited amount of rivers, and even fewer with hatcheries, so that narrows it down. If someone doesn't want to share, that's on them, and that's fine. But you probably shouldn't be hanging around on the site that's made for sharing information on locations, techniques and when they're biting. Sure, a five star report with the exact location may blow up a hole. But usually it's the hatchery, Reiter, Tokul etc. and when the fish are there, seriously, it's the hatchery, that's where everyone is going anyway. There aren't any secrets anymore. At least this site encourages friendly fishing, and we have whole sections and articles on etiquette that keep combat civil. The more licenses sold, the more catch cards turned in, the more money there is to put more fish in the water. I give out tons of information on here, and I'm still not hurting for business, because in the end know that you should fish a bobber and jig and actually being able to fish it effectively are two completely different things. Good bait, good gear, all these things go into it. The more the merrier I say. The less time you have to spend trying to figure this stuff out, the more time you get to spend fishing, and I think it's great that reports get people on the water.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:26 pm

oneshot wrote:I think a little bit of gloating is healthy.. =D> :-" :cheers:
Its human nature to be a little competitive and with out it we would lack progression I think..
with that said though, its easy nuff to give up helpful techniques without locations.. it is good to see what people are using, andf always helpful

far as locations..
there are no stashes anymore, only folks willing to put in the work..
Yea, it's nice to have a picture of a giant to put up. I'm not that big on bragging, I'd rather see an awesome scenic of my favorite river than a pic of a dead fish. I get hassled because I don't put very many pics up, but maybe I'm just modest.

It's amazing what walking half a mile will get you as far as elbow room. Make it two miles, and you're all by yourself, even on the most popular fall king runs there are well known spots that people just don't put the effort to go in.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 am

I hear what your saying about putting the work in....but what about the people who don't have all the time in the world to do this? I don't have the luxury of putting in the man hours it takes to find fish sometimes...river fishing being the most difficult. I google map lots of locations I'd like to try and put in a lot of time reading reports trying to pinpoint my next fishing adventure and it seems like I still have trouble finding fish for the most part (or at least getting them to bite). Between my 2 year old, my 15 year old, and being a business owner/husband, there's just not enough time for me to be walking up and down rivers and graphing lakes to find good locations holding fish.
If more people would share there locations where they caught fish with the members of this site, we would have more spots to go to! Putting myself on the other end of the spectrum...if I was able to put in the hours to search for fish day after day, I can see how it would be a little tough to divulge this information. And I would be worried my spots would blow up with fisherman BUT I think this would be a false determination only in my "mind". All the people on this site are already fishing the same water as you ALL THE TIME. Your go to spot is already being fished by a member next to you. You know what I mean? Not sure where I'm going with this one, I'm just frustrated. I paid money to be a member of the site, not just to look at pictures of YOUR fish, but to hopefully get information on where to go to catch fish and build my own fishing memories with family and friends!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:57 am

1 - MANY years of fishing while holding down a job and doing other stuff LOOOOONG before any internet.

2 - Had to learn by being on the water.

3 - read magazines and tv programs

4 - watched tapes when the vcr was invented and I bought my first one back in the '80s.

The people of today have it SO EASY it's pitiful, in comparison. Maps to look at, reports to read, Map Quest/Google Maps and such to find their way to the lakes and along a river. The paper maps of ' yesterday' weren't as good as today's paper maps. No topo maps way back when, we found the stuff on the bottom by loosing gear. Found the fish by catching them, not by the WDFW posting vids like they have this spring.

As was posted twice if we give a precise location then there will be 20 or 100 boats/people on that location the next weekend or every weekend for the next month or two. THEN some one will complain saying that we lied because they couldn't catch anything because the other 100 people fished out that location. So that is why I don't say where I catch my fish on any given day.

Also I've said it more than once, I can catch fish on 'that spot today', but tomorrow the fish may not bite, may not want what I throw at them or might not even be there, and I'll get skunked on that spot, or even on the whole lake. That's another reason I don't tell people in reports or in a thread where I catch fish.
Tom.

Interests: living

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am

what is it with the newbies lately?

I dont even fill out a report most of the time when im fishing. Yea if i have something worth sharing I will post it up. If you wanna learn the hotspot on a lake or river go put in the time and effort to find it. Alot of us have honey holes that family members dont even know about, why should we post them on the internet? i know kokanee fishing i use alot of different lures, most of the time its something different then what most people are using, and i will pull a limit when other people have a so-so day. If i tell everyone on the internet "yea i caught a limit on a green/orange cha cha squidder, etc, etc, then gregs will be sold out of them in a week. Or if i find a group of biters at one end of the lake were no one else is fishing im gonna keep it hush hush most of the time.

Maybe you should be thankful that we share our tips and tricks instead of telling all of us how to write our reports.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 am

River fisherman can be the worst offenders....

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 am

If you read a report and it doesnt explain what the person used or exact spot, you can always private message the person. If they dont want to tell you they just wont respond. Sometimes I dont give out all my info after a trip because everyone can read the report. But if someone takes the time to pm then I usually dont mind telling. This forum site is actually one of the most fisherman friendly sites you will find.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 am

Ive tried that 3 times now with three separate individuals and no response. Then they will post a new report the next day, so I know they've been on the site....that's why I'm so frustrated. If you don't want to tell other fisherman/fisherwoman where a good spot is, tell them where NOT to go then.lol.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:57 am

Don't go to Sawyer, there are no fish left in the lake. Image

Acualy to tell you the absolute truth, Sawyer isn't anywheres near as good as it was 15 years ago. There aren't anywhere's near as many people fishing the lake, regardless which specie of fish. Crappie and perch fishermen seem to be mostly non exsistant. Trout and bass are in there, but nothing like before.
Tom.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am

Lets say Jesse James has been fishing the Notellum River for the past few weeks for steelhead. Its days and days of being skunked, losing fish long distance or anything unpleasant. He tries everything from EZ eggs, spoons, spinners, bobber/jig and free drifitng roe. He makes notes of barometric pressure, river levels and anything useful in his notebook. His wife is accusing him of cheating because he comes home empty handed and smells clean. Then one day, he limits out with 2 dime bright steelhead over 10 pounds and post a 5 star report. It has over 400 views and some people say nice fish and others ask what rock where you standing on and what did you use? What are the odds hes going to give away information just to see the 3 stooges on his rock the next day? Probably low, so thats why people are tight lipped.

Theres local fishing magazines and website like Steelhead University that has all the info you need. Theres people that ask specific questions on what to uses at what particular river. Just put in the times to read old reports and search the forums. Make notes and go fish. Liek my friend once told me, chase the fish not the reports. Plus if you ever had the experience of a combat fishery with rude poeple, then you would better understand about people not reporting everything.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:11 am

I get what your sayin. I think river fishing is much different than say fishing from a boat on a big lake, don't tell me your spots on the river as I know how frustrating it can be to search for days and not catch anything. I also know how rewarding it is to have a beautiful river salmon on the end of your line after all that hard work. Better than any fishing I know...

Its tough when your kid is crazy about bass fishing and your trying your damdest to find some fish for him, then he gets bored a couple hours in cause you've only had 1 fish in the boat. All the while he's reading these reports of 20 fish days on the lake and being super excited about nailin' em. :scratch: I've been fishing bass my whole life in Minnesota but its been all largemouth, moved here and its mostly deep water smallmouth fishing and its driving me nuts trying to find em! Oh well, ....

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:15 am

Yup, Smallmouth are different than Largemouth, but there can be lots of Smallies where you catch Largies, even in the weeds and pads and can catch them on the same lures. Where do you live? Do you fish during the week? How old is your kid? Have you gone to any of the seminars at Limit Out Marine in Pacific? There should be one coming up on Wed the 24th.
Tom.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

Look for local bass fishing clubs and join them. I know clubs and stores wll sometimes have seminars on bass fishing if thats what your looking for. Theres also a section where you can post an add up for a fishing buddy.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 am

Or go to the downtown Seattle library. Go look for Northwest Sportsman magazine and Fishing and Hunting News (not in production anymore). They usually have 2-3 maps each month. Look for the ones you want to fish because the article will show you the spots and what to use too.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 am

I live in Duvall, so I've been having to treck at least an hour to get to most of the lakes Im hearing are good. I've put hours in during the week sometimes to try and find some on my own while he's in school or at his Father's house (I'm his step dad). He's 15 years old. He likes fishing tapps because theres always a shot at getting a muskie while bass fishing. I have not been to any seminars. Making the transition from shallow water structure fishing to deep water fishing has been an enormous obstacle so far. Obviously learning more and more each time I go but it's nice when I read information that will help with some little shortcuts on my long journey to figuring this out.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am

Ok, and what techniques have you been trying to learn the past year/since you moved here? What techniques have you used in the past for Largies back home, what lures and such. Lets say, what lures and techniques for Largies, and what lures and techniques for Smallies? How many hours have spent on the lake each time you've gone out? I don't fish for anything other than Bass so I can't help much for any other specie of fish other than what I've watched on tv, vids or read in magazines and on WaLakes reports and threads, but I do know the basics for most fish this state has.
Tom.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:34 pm

I am happy to post technique, but don't usually post exact spots and get PM'ed or report comments all the time with nothing more than "Where exactly were you and how do you get there?". No hello, No nice to meet you - just "GIMME". I don't bother to even respond to those. Now if someone strikes up a conversation and is really showing that they want to learn, I probably wont give them my go to spot, but I will give them places where they can catch fish. Also there are always Hotspots.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker