Share the wealth!

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Share the wealth!

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:58 am

tnj8222 wrote:Even if I told a newb where to go and what to use I still couldn't put you on a 20 fish day. You don't have tow and just wont get it. No matter what its a experiance thing.
^^^^^^Exactly.

I could tell the OP what to fish with, how to fish it, what speed to fish it, what depth to fish it, give you my exact position via GPS coordinates and you may, or may not, catch fish. There are just too many other variables for it to work. If time is so precious, hire a guide (yes, I said that) and hit the spots you want to learn. That, and time on the water, will shorten the learning curve more than anything, certainly more than reading reports here and complaining "we" don't provide enough info.

My success didn't come from reading reports here, and it didn't come from someone giving me GPS coordinates to "their spot", it came from paying my dues to gain experience, spending time on the water, reading reports, talking to locals who are successful, and attending local seminars targeted to the species and body of water I fish. My success is a culmination of all those sources and there are no shortcuts to achieve it. :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:52 am

hewesfisher wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:Even if I told a newb where to go and what to use I still couldn't put you on a 20 fish day. You don't have tow and just wont get it. No matter what its a experiance thing.
^^^^^^Exactly.

I could tell the OP what to fish with, how to fish it, what speed to fish it, what depth to fish it, give you my exact position via GPS coordinates and you may, or may not, catch fish. There are just too many other variables for it to work. If time is so precious, hire a guide (yes, I said that) and hit the spots you want to learn. That, and time on the water, will shorten the learning curve more than anything, certainly more than reading reports here and complaining "we" don't provide enough info.

My success didn't come from reading reports here, and it didn't come from someone giving me GPS coordinates to "their spot", it came from paying my dues to gain experience, spending time on the water, reading reports, talking to locals who are successful, and attending local seminars targeted to the species and body of water I fish. My success is a culmination of all those sources and there are no shortcuts to achieve it. :-"
[thumbup]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:06 pm

From my experience there's more than enough info here and around the web to get you started. Some things you HAVE to figure out on your own, and if you are completely clueless where to start just ask. No amount of internet browsing will automatically produce fish. For me, figuring out what works or doesn't work is half the fun. I love finding a my own secret or "special" rig that catches fish. Just my two cents
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:45 pm

The best way to learn how to fish the areas you fish is from the locals. Watch what there doing. Strike up a conversation without invading their space. Ask them if they are doing any good ? Tell them nice fish when they catch one. There's a lot of people that that are willing to share some advice. I'm personally not a big talker, but you stand near me on a rock and you know how to follow a casting order we're probably going to talk a little. Actually if you don't know how to follow a casting order we're probably going to talk too, but you might not like what I say.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:22 pm

kingroobes wrote:From my experience there's more than enough info here and around the web to get you started. Some things you HAVE to figure out on your own, and if you are completely clueless where to start just ask. No amount of internet browsing will automatically produce fish. For me, figuring out what works or doesn't work is half the fun. I love finding a my own secret or "special" rig that catches fish. Just my two cents
Yup, Figuring out what works is MOST of the fun! [thumbsup]

Good input All. I get a lot if great ideas and motivation from the reports and forum posts, and try to share my own. I admit, our recent trip on Cle Elum really tested my philosophy when it comes to sharing information. Here was this big lake with nice kokanee and lake trout and no one hardly fishing or posting on it. Should I keep my mouth shut or share the info? I was tempted I admit but I know I'll only get out there a couple more times so why not let others in on it? It won't get fished out, it's a big lake. I perfectly understand the river and small lake anglers not wanting to share spots - I don't blame them one bit. I keep that info of a more general nature also.

Bottom line, how much or little people share on this site is up to them, but when you start digging and using everything that's available you'll find more than enough info to get started IMO.

BTW, I understand from gringo that my report on Cle Elum got picked up by the Saturday Wild Country radio show, so there may be a few more fishing Cle Elum. [blink]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:32 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:
chrome_chasin wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:I used to gather all the information I needed off of the reports section of this site. It wasn't until years later that started using the forum to gather some very useful information. Never mind my "joined" date to the right of this box, I'm on my 3rd or 4th screen name since I first started visiting this site, kept forgetting the log in info. LOL Anyhoo, I've found the vast majority on here as being very helpful, this has been cyclical though, as is life. Right now you have a great bunch of helpful guys for multiple species. I applaud the mods and members who repeatedly answer the same questions over and over, year after year..... Here's one thing you may not have tried as of yet chrome-chassin, use the search feature here in the forums, IT IS OVERFLOWING with extremely useful threads of nearly every fishing technique used and bodies of water in Washington and other states. I figure it's a vastly underutilized valuable feature here at walakes. I don't recall being stiffed on adequate information to go catch some fish.... The site is a little light on some saltwater salmon info, but it is available. While your waiting for a response to an information request, peruse the near endless information available via the search feature.
Here's the thing Mark, yes I have read several years back in the archives, and yes there is a ton of useful info, all of which is repeated many times over, but I believe that you missed my point to the OP. My point to him was that he was going to get the same answer that all new members receive when asking for blanket help such as this. Research, hire a guide, and time on the water. As for myself, I feel that I need to defend myself here, I am not the type that sits down and learns from reading, just doesn't happen. I'm the type that needs to see it and then do it. However when I find myself wanting to ask for advice I try and keep my questions on a more personal level with in PM's. There are three members on here that when ask give great advice, which I am thankful for. When it comes to me, I will always offer free rides, have plenty of jigs to share and always be open to learning anything that I can to improve my game and if given a chance to share some knowledge to those that ask.
OK, Thanks Chrome! I'll take that as an open invite to fill a seat sometime. [biggrin] I agree with you 100% on the reading versus doing.
I purposely avoided the point of the original post since it doesn't seem useful to bash any one on here so I just offered an alternate information gathering method that I found useful in the past. I think it was 1999 when I first popped on here, oh hell I forget. LOL
I've seen some really good people chased out of here for one reason or another. I've had a few arguments myself with someone I now consider a friend but I thought he was a total ass back then. Thanks for the waders Bodo! Another time, we had a friendly carp thread, it was just plain fun until someone came and pissed on our parade, I think the thread got locked down it got so bad.

As for the original post of this thread, I'm not even going to reread it, since, as I recall it bashes the site and the people on here. I like this site, I like the people here, I've only met a few but that is more my fault than theirs.

PS I suck at rivers so I got nothin but respect for those that do well. [thumbsup]
I miss that carp thread! It was awesome. So are carp! I'm going to cook up a whole mess of them tonight! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm

And I'm gonna throw up.

I can't help anymore until my questions are answered............
Tom.

Interests: living