popup ads

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
OldFishGuy
Petty Officer

popup ads

Post by OldFishGuy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:40 am

The popup ads on the fishing reports are very annoying. Every time I click on a new report the ad pops up, and I have to close it in order to read the report.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: popup ads

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:33 am

Are you talking about the Chevy one's that take up half the screen? Really effects the online experience, that does not occur when surfing other fishing sites. If that is the add you speak of. If I did not open it the first time, annoying me by filling the screen every time the report main page is viewed. Certainly isn't going to help sell anything.

I will agree, that type of add is one annoying revenue stream.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 pm

The bottom page chevy ads only appear if you are not logged in, so we recommend you join the site and stay logged in and you'll not see them. There shouldn't be any other pop up ads. If you see one please take a screen shot so we can investigate it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Thx for the tip Mike, will log in every time now!

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 pm

i am logged in right now and i still get the ads. i also just got double pop ups where one was across the bottom and another covered almost the entire screen. i had to close it 3 times before it went away. so annoying.

i am on my ipad so not sure that makes any difference.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:51 am

if that happens again can you grab a screen shot and send it to support@washingtonlakes.com? Those big pop ups that rise from the bottom of the page are only supposed to show if you aren't logged in. I'll alert Aaron to this.

Thanks

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 am

I've posted on a similar issue, may or may not be what you're experiencing and it happens with an ad blocker and being logged in - http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... =6&t=18328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 am

hewesfisher wrote:I've posted on a similar issue, may or may not be what you're experiencing and it happens with an ad blocker and being logged in - http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... =6&t=18328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is a different issue where for some reason those skyscrapers ads show on the top through the pictures rather than underneath where they should. They aren't pop up ads. The only pop up ads we agreed to were the one that rises up from the bottom of the page. And they are (supposed to be) only seen if you aren't logged in. Once logged in (or if you keep yourself logged in) they should not display.

I know Aaron will look into this when he has a moment.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 am

I think calling it a pop-up ad has me looking in a different direction for something that doesn't exist. We have Zero pop-up ads on the site. If in fact you're talking about the ad at the bottom, it doesn't actually cover up anything. You can keep scrolling down and the site content will scroll above it, showing you everything and the ad sits on the bottom of the page. Like Mike said, just stay logged in! You'll never see it again.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System