RSS for reports?

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RSS for reports?

Post by natetreat » Thu May 09, 2013 10:25 am

It would be neat to have an RSS subscription to reports from favorite lakes. Maybe there's something like that that I have found yet, but it would be cool if I did.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: RSS for reports?

Post by Amx » Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 am

what is rss?
Tom.

Interests: living

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am

I agree, a way to subscribe to RSS feeds for your favorite lakes and rivers would be a cool feature

RSS - Rich Site Summary

RSS feeds benefit publishers by letting them syndicate content automatically. A standardized XML file format allows the information to be published once and viewed by many different programs. They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely updates from favorite websites or to aggregate feeds from many sites into one place.

RSS feeds can be read using software called an "RSS reader", "feed reader", or "aggregator", which can be web-based, desktop-based, or mobile-device-based. The user subscribes to a feed by entering into the reader the feed's URI or by clicking a feed icon in a web browser that initiates the subscription process. The RSS reader checks the user's subscribed feeds regularly for new work, downloads any updates that it finds, and provides a user interface to monitor and read the feeds. RSS allows users to avoid manually inspecting all of the websites they are interested in, and instead subscribe to websites such that all new content is automatically checked for and advertised by their browsers as soon as it is available.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

^^^ my brain hurts after trying to read that.... to much smart people stuff

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Thu May 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:^^^ my brain hurts after trying to read that.... to much smart people stuff
Basically every time someone posted a report for your lake or river you subscribed to, it would inform you via an app on your phone or computer

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu May 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Mordalphus wrote:
Steelheadin360 wrote:^^^ my brain hurts after trying to read that.... to much smart people stuff
Basically every time someone posted a report for your lake or river you subscribed to, it would inform you via an app on your phone or computer
Sounds similar to the text farmers get periodically through\out the day, on there cell phone. It automatically informs them of the "current" grain prices?

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Thu May 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Kinda like that, but think of it more as a news feed... So your RSS reader shows you all of the pages that have been updated since you last looked at them. I used to subscribe to many many RSS feeds of all the blogs I followed, and I used Firefox browser to view them.

vvstevens
Angler

Post by vvstevens » Fri May 31, 2013 6:16 am

You might be able to filter the main lake report RSS Feed on the client side, by County.

for instance simple text for "(King)" in parens, with additional search clauses and logic from the RSS Reader software.

As for 'favorite' lakes or other places, I haven't seen anything on the site that captures 'favorites' at all. I think we would need a new feature that allows 'favorites' definition on multiple fields.

Then there would need to be a query built to the 'favorites' list.

Curious what database is in use for the site?

colauhu
Angler

Post by colauhu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Agree with RSS feed...would be awesome. I use taptalk to access various forums, and it would be awesome if this site would use that also. I've tried to access it via taptalk, but I just get an error message that tells me to contact the forum administrator.