Northern Pikeminnow

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Northern Pikeminnow

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 pm

First off, I haven't been on here in a very long(too long to be honest) time. I was cruising around some forums and realized that there isn't any Northern Pikeminnow dedicated sections. Don't get me wrong, to catch these pesky, Salmon eating, no good swimming dollar bills, are a very hush hush conversation. Trade secrets are a must, keep them by all means. but shed some light on this topic for people that have NO idea what they're doing. haha Yes, this means me also. =P~ Thank you to all that read and contribute to this hair-brain idea.

At least a Pikeminnow species option on the reports....
Fishing is the life of past, present, and hopefully future. We must keep it a live! C&R!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Northern Pikeminnow

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm

I don't like catching them, let alone READING about them, unless it's about their DEATH! And the Eagles eating them. Image

Oh ya, I don't even want the slimy things in the boat. Even if the Eagles do want them.
Tom.

Interests: living

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:55 pm

:) I understand. Haha
Fishing is the life of past, present, and hopefully future. We must keep it a live! C&R!

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 pm

If I can say one good thing about them they did help me figure out what a bite felt like while side drifting for steelhead. Until I hooked into one of them I was struggling, when a steelhead finally bit I knew it and hooked and landed that fish b/c I had hooked and landed several sqawfish first. Feeding the eagles is pretty cool too, love watching them swoop down and pick a fish up.

We were using eggs but I doubt you want to waste that valuable bait on sqawfish, I'm sure a worm would do just fine.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

I've caught them on crankbaits mostly, a grub long ago and maybe even a spinnerbait, but I forget.
Tom.

Interests: living

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Northern Pike Minnow???? What's that? If you're talking about SQUAWFISH, those things will hit crank baits, tubes, grubs and a worm under a bobber or off the bottom. Catch em, kill em, and throw to the birds!!!

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 am

check this out for some tips
http://www.pikeminnow.org/tips.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 am

i paid my rent one summer off the bounties when I lived in the Tri-Cities. Used to catch the first one on catfish stink bait then cut him up to catch the rest. On the eastside they like to lay in the deep pools scourged out by high water release periods in the dam tailwaters. Used to slay 'em back bouncing below Ice Harbor...
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

AJ's Dad wrote:Northern Pike Minnow???? What's that? If you're talking about SQUAWFISH, those things will hit crank baits, tubes, grubs and a worm under a bobber or off the bottom. Catch em, kill em, and throw to the birds!!!
I totally agree with you. although instead of just throwing them to the birds down here on the Columbia, we get to turn them in to the Fish and Game Department for a bounty. It's easy money when you can find them I guess. the hot spots from what I have read are below any dam. but I live about 2.5 hours from the nearest one.

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm

hlindsay wrote:check this out for some tips
http://www.pikeminnow.org/tips.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've beat the potatoes out of that website. Thank you for sharing with other who might find this thread helpful. :)

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 am

bump.......

any clue to what flies they will take, i know they are aggresice but is there a certian pattern that sets them off? should i throw some egg patterns at them?
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I have no idea about using flies. But last summer I ended up getting a little smoker craft and hit the river hard. I was able to pay off the ol boy who sold that boat to me from catching them. If you're into bass fishing, sign up before leaving the launch. Go out and bass fish and you'll either be catching some smallness or bounty fish. They're a lot like bass in the aggressive nature.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri May 09, 2014 2:47 am

$76,478. That's a decent living right there! If I lived down there, I'd be running squaws all day! That's no joke.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 am

Its a shame they didnt have this program on the Umpqua. As a kid we would often catch 100 of these a day. Could have made some serious coin.

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:25 am

Yeah Nate, the guys who highline is three brothers that pound the water pretty much everyday. They're on YouTube posting videos here and there.