Hey Guys!

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Hey Guys!

Post by Amx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm

I figured the 'tiles' things were there because of the new phones have that stuff. And I guess the new computers are screwed up with those things now. I just don't see how pictures can take the place of a good menue that is in alphabetical order and can be the best way to find something rather than guessing what a picture means. Foe example, a picture of mountains can be mistaken for a picture of clouds. Clouds = weather web site to get the weather. Mountain = to get web sites and maps of hiking trails or high lakes. Then you can click on the wrong picture, go to the wrong web site, and waste lots of time. Hard to mistake the work 'mountain' and 'weather' to get what you want. "Alphabetical order" CAN'T be mistaken for anything else.

Then watching the new phone commercials, you can see all that scrolling they have to do to find what they want within all those silly pictures? Words, you just quick scroll to the proper part of the alphabet, then watch/read the words and click on the proper word to get to the proper page. VERY simple, and quicker.
Tom.

Interests: living

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm

And yet, ignoring the pictures (which I'm currently searching for replacements), the text on the boxes tells you what its for. It was for a good reason that we put those there. A lot of our users that find the site don't venture past the forum.. they don't dig into the menu system... so we decided to put our more popular areas of the site in a tiled menu. it's MUCH easier to get to those place on a phone now.. and on a tablet.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 pm

And if I ever get a tablet, which I've thought about for the past couple months, I'd have to learn how to use those pictures/links because the computer/phone people think that's the in thing.
Tom.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:30 pm

I hear you Amx. I remember the first year I got a computer and started surfing the web the links all had after them (Click Here). Now people just know to do it.

At the sportshows this year I was using a Windows 8 laptop and I would switch to the tradition desktop to use it. But, I also noted that the younger generation totally get the tile stuff. It's definately more functional for tablets and phones I think. Not so much for desktops. I kept finding myself touching my laptop screen to move around, like a tablet. I think in a couple years all laptops will be touch screen sensitive.

Meanwhile, I like that what used to be text links on the black menu are now easily clicked tiles. I find myself using the tiles all the time on the new lay out.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Nov. when I got my new depth finder, Lowrance HDS10, I found myself pushing on the squares on the screen instead of the soft keys. The soft keys sorta blended in with the case and I kept missing them. Then I took the Lowrance class at the Sportsman Show using the touch screen units. Then at home practicing with my non-touch screen unit I found myself touching the screen again. [laugh] So I guess it wouldn't take too much for me to get used to it. As another said, I usually hate change anyway.
Tom.

rayborbon
Petty Officer

Post by rayborbon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

THANK YOU for finally providing a fix on the menu. While some users might be annoyed the fact is they probably don't understand the impact of touch screen devices which can now actually get into some of the core areas of the website without a lot of effort and obstructions. I visit from my phone and one of my touch screen tablets and could never get into the maps, articles, hotspots or latest reports without serious frustration.
That's MY bike punk! You want somma Debo!?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:28 pm

PLUS 1. So much easier on my Rugby with the big tiles.