New monitor

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
hewesfisher
Admiral

New monitor

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:50 am

Just replaced my old, dying monitor with a new wide screen (1920x1080) ViewSonic. I've checked all my user settings, but can't seem to find anything that will let me increase the displayed area of the website. Currently, the displayed area is about 9.5" wide, centered on my monitor, leaving a 4.5" blank space on either side. Are there settings I can change to let the website fill the space on my monitor or is that a fixed width?

Thanks!
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: New monitor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:44 am

this is an Aaron question, but that's never stopped me from making a guess. I think it is specifically coded that way for site functionality. My monitor is the same.

Aaron would be able to give you the precise answer.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:33 am

Is the icon size easily legible, or small in size?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 am

My new wide screen I bought a month ago has the whole screen filled. I did nothing, it just does that. But, it does stretch the pictures a bit.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Have you looked at your "Display settings" within control panel? Also I assume your video card is not to ancient?
Funny you posted this, as I just replaced my monitor as well this week. It's funny now.... computer monitors have really become large. I went with one that is 22 or 24" etc. Some of them rivaled TV''s we owned a few years ago.

On display settings, adjust the bit range.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:28 pm

press "ctrl +" a few times. Your browser will zoom in for you. Don't monkey with your resolution, that just makes everything else looks bad. Enjoy the high resolution though! TV and movies will be crisp and bright! If you find other sites are hard to read, zoom in by holding control and pressing the plus key. Easy peasy. I sit way back from my big monitor, so I'm always making text bigger to read it.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh, and if it's a Mac, use the "Apple" key, otherwise known as command, because we tell Macs what to do. Unlike PC's which we actually have control over the things.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Nate, that is why I asked Phil if his icon are small. Would the pixel setting produce the issue Phil is experiencing?

If you have a hp like I do. Hold down the "CTRL" key, while rolling the mouse wheel. The icons, picture or whatever your viewing will get really small, really big or anywhere in between. I think this works on any windows based product. It is basically a zoom in or out feature.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:13 am

My resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, I have a Radeon HD video card, everything still looks like I've got my older monitor in place. Other websites and forums I follow fill the monitor screen, just WA Lakes and one other forum I participate in are small. Just didn't know if there were user selectable settings for this site.

Quad - I can change the size doing the CTRL key and mouse scroll, does that stay like that or will I have to do that every time I log on?

PC no Apple.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:26 am

natetreat wrote:Oh, and if it's a Mac, use the "Apple" key, otherwise known as command, because we tell Macs what to do. Unlike PC's which we actually have control over the things.
Wow i really dont believe that? Having built a few mid to high end media centers i can tweak them to my liking or leave them stock to all windows settings, so either you have been duped by the apple bug or im buying the wrong pc and ive no control and am just a minion :scratch: .

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:26 am

oops my first double post just happened, note to self dont double tap...thats for zombies [flapper]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:36 am

sickbayer wrote:oops my first double post just happened, note to self dont double tap...thats for zombies [flapper]

I wonder how many people here know what 'double tap' really means in that context. Image
Tom.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am

hewesfisher wrote:My resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, I have a Radeon HD video card, everything still looks like I've got my older monitor in place. Other websites and forums I follow fill the monitor screen, just WA Lakes and one other forum I participate in are small. Just didn't know if there were user selectable settings for this site.

Quad - I can change the size doing the CTRL key and mouse scroll, does that stay like that or will I have to do that every time I log on?

PC no Apple.
Hi Phil, I believe I was the one with the Hp "CTRL" mouse scroll tip.
MotoBoat wrote:If you have a hp like I do. Hold down the "CTRL" key, while rolling the mouse wheel. The icons, picture or whatever your viewing will get really small, really big or anywhere in between. I think this works on any windows based product. It is basically a zoom in or out feature.
I don't know if the icon size you scroll to is saved automatically. So, I just scrolled to a very large icon size. Logged off and back on and the new icon size I had selected appeared. Not knowing what edition of Windows your using. I have XP and have no idea what Windows 7 auto settings would do. The cool thing is, the scroll "zoom"feature works on most everything. From websites to a word document. I think Onenote, Acrobat reader and others do not respond to the scroll feature. If the zoom does not work, that application has would have a manual zoom feature available on the tool bar.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:26 am

MotoBoat wrote:
hewesfisher wrote:My resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, I have a Radeon HD video card, everything still looks like I've got my older monitor in place. Other websites and forums I follow fill the monitor screen, just WA Lakes and one other forum I participate in are small. Just didn't know if there were user selectable settings for this site.

PC no Apple.
Hi Phil, I believe I was the one with the Hp "CTRL" mouse scroll tip.
MotoBoat wrote:If you have a hp like I do. Hold down the "CTRL" key, while rolling the mouse wheel. The icons, picture or whatever your viewing will get really small, really big or anywhere in between. I think this works on any windows based product. It is basically a zoom in or out feature.
I don't know if the icon size you scroll to is saved automatically. So, I just scrolled to a very large icon size. Logged off and back on and the new icon size I had selected appeared. Not knowing what edition of Windows your using. I have XP and have no idea what Windows 7 auto settings would do. The cool thing is, the scroll "zoom"feature works on most everything. From websites to a word document. I think Onenote, Acrobat reader and others do not respond to the scroll feature. If the zoom does not work, that application has would have a manual zoom feature available on the tool bar.
Sorry about that Moto, got you and Quad mixed up on the replies. [blush]

Still using Window Vista 64, but my brother keeps telling me I need Windows 7. That's no surprise since he works for MS. [laugh]

Yes, the settings do remain the same. Just weird most other sites/forums I visit adjusted to screen width automatically. Didn't know I could change it myself. Thanks! [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:31 am

I didn't know anything about the ctrl + and - making the size go up or down. I'll be using that now and then for some stuff.

Since loading Firefox the other eek this web site doesn't refresh itself when I go back a page, it used to and stiff does with EI. Can't find anything anywhere to make it refresh. The other web site I'm on all day refreshes automaticly. And I can't insert a smilie in the middle of a paragraph if I decide it needs one after I type up something.
Tom.