2 ideas...

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
nyseguy97
Angler

2 ideas...

Post by nyseguy97 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 pm

The first is have an unlisted Lakes topic where people can post inquiries about a lake or body of water that they drove past and put in the effort to search for site info but couldn't find. I will give an example. Last Sat, I was on my way to lake Holmes. On the way I drove past a lake that was fairly good size and looked like fish were jumping. I saw a sign that said Horseshoe Lake but in my search of the site, I found only listings in completely different counties. My idea for the topic would then be able to come on here and say Horseshoe Lake in Black Diamond who has info? and and get someone who says "yeah, I fished there as a kid but the property was sold and now it is private as part of the housing development," or whatever.

My other idea is something that I saw once but don't remember where and that is including basic regs for that body of water in the info screen just like bathometric info etc. For Example, Deep Lake, open year round Wapato Lake in Tacoma, Juvenile anglers only, Open first Sat in April through Oct 30th. Don't quote me but the very basics of what is open and when would make a huge difference for users with limited fish time. Do I have a regs book? Yes. Do I use it? Yes. I still would like this feature though for when I am looking for a new place to get my line wet.

My 2 ideas. Probably no one will see this or comment, let alone do anything about it but I tried.
N97

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: 2 ideas...

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed May 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Welcome to the site! Interesting ideas. Seems that we just post that sort of question to the forum and see what happens. Lakes are added to the list all the time.

On the regs, they change so frequently, it's best to use the states copy to lesson confusion.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed May 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - the regs request would be a huge amount of work to keep up to date. There's only two of us to run the site. Generally the question of not knowing a body of water can be resolved by posting as noted by Mark. Anytime someone wants to add a lake when can do it. Again I just don't have the time to add the 4,000 or so lakes in the state so I add the less well known ones as they come up.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

nyseguy97
Angler

Post by nyseguy97 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 am

Thank you both for your responses. As amazing as this site is I am impressed and more than a little floored that it is being run by just two people. That is amazing! I completely understand about the regs changing and the amount of work it would be. The sheer number of lakes statewide makes sense too. Lol, all things said and done, I guess I was hoping you had a magic button that makes my ideas spring to life on the site because it's cyberspace so of course it isn't bound by such foolish things as time and effort. [blink] All joking aside, I really don't know the amount of work that entails but I appreciate the prompt responses and will add any future ideas I have as well. Thanks guys.
N97

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu May 24, 2012 4:58 pm

no problem. If you ever run into that magic button let me know, I want one. [drool]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".