Size and aspect ratio?

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!

What size of the primary device monitor/screen that you use to view this web site?

Under 10" (tablet, phone, ect)
4%
11-14"
8%
15-17"
25%
18-21"
29%
22" and up
33%

Total votes: 24

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Size and aspect ratio?

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Just wondering when the site may break the 1024 X 768 barrier. My guess is most people have wide screen monitors. If the site were to go wide screen, member’s pictures would fit better as most cameras are a wide screenish format. Not to mention the huge grey expanses on either side of the actual form. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Size and aspect ratio?

Post by Amx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:59 pm

My guess most people have 'normal' sized monitors, say 17". I say leave it the way it is. 'Most' of us can't afford a new moniter. I've thought about it, but that won't happen for a few months at a minimum.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Dude that's got to be hard on your eyes! Do yourself a favor, I've got a 21" wide and I'm seriously considering going to double 24's. We only get two eyes, monitors are cheap. Even go to PC recycle or RE PC and get something a little bigger, you'll wonder what you were thinking!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

PS: can we make this a survey on monitor size?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:PS: can we make this a survey on monitor size?
Done. I run two monitors, one is a 24" set horizontal and one is a 24" set vertical (it works perfect in that configuration for my music software's mixing board). BTW, once you have two monitors working together you'll NEVER want to go back to a singe monitor set up.

As to the original question, it's something you would best ask Aaron. That's his turf. I'm sure he has his reasons. Aaron?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:25 pm

So now everyone except a couple/few will now have to scroll side to side to read the posts?
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Bodofish wrote:PS: can we make this a survey on monitor size?
Done. I run two monitors, one is a 24" set horizontal and one is a 24" set vertical (it works perfect in that configuration for my music software's mixing board). BTW, once you have two monitors working together you'll NEVER want to go back to a singe monitor set up.

As to the original question, it's something you would best ask Aaron. That's his turf. I'm sure he has his reasons. Aaron?
At work I run 3 - 24"ers, two in landscape and one in portrait. One for communication, one for troubleshooting / remote access and one for writing..... The more the merrier. The home setup is next.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

The spirit of this conversation is great, but the technical details are wrong. This is a display resolution discussion, not a screen size discussion.

While it is true that the average desktop resolution is now larger than 1024x768, the people that do use it are still important, and their overall experience would be greatly diminished. In real numbers, we're talking about ruining things for about 5,600 of our users. That number is too big.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:48 pm

so so true but the the resolution and aspect ratio can be followed pretty easily just by shear size. Not to many VGA's above 19" (who could afford the power bill) and the convers, not many 1080's under 22"

Please feel free to redo the survey, I hope everyone understands resolution as apposed to size.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:14 am

I run two 22" @ 1680 x 1050.. And I love it..

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:08 am

I have two monitors running at 1920x1080. I still zoom in on the content because I don't like sitting close to my monitors. The web standards are outdated as far as the maximum size of sites. For the most part you could probably get away with 1024 width, but then when I zoomed in it'd be harder to keep it without sideways scrolling which I HATE.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I alternate between 1280 x 1024 or 1920 x 1080 mostly but also find myself using a laptop or smartphone with a much smaller effective resolution. Switching the basic format to widescreen would make it much less user friendly for those that use a smaller laptop or handheld device. I guess the ultimate solution would be being able to select a resolution on the main page and then store that selection info on a cookie. I'm guessing that would create a lot of extra website administration work though.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Just an old Dell Inspiron 600m lap warmer here. Thinking of getting a newer 17" lap top. I like sittin back in this over sized leather chair, a leg or two elevated on the chair arm or ottoman, drinking coffee or ice tea, watching tv while browsing the net. I've reduced the pixel count on the cell phone so pictures fit on here with out having to convert the pic prior to posting. That reduces the clarity of course, this new phone makes the pics even worse so, I'll have to make an adjustment. Only 16 have taken that survey, I'm the "1" with the 14" screen. LOL I'll be sticking to a laptop so I'm not tied to a desk with an uncomfortable chair. [wink]

added later: looked it up, I have 1024x768.... what was that? resolution? I just turn it on, it works, I'm good. [biggrin]
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I would assume there's a way to make the browser scale width to whatever resolution your browser window is rather than a fixed width?

Either way, my home screen is a 22" 1920x1080, but 95% of the time I'm on here I'm using my work laptop which is 15" and 1680x1050.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I am not that familiar with the current computer monitor topic. I have heard these terms and know what they are in basic terms: Pixels- The more you have the better the picture quality, aspect ratio 16 x 9- I think this pertains to wide screen and possibly a requirement of HD ?, Resolution is - Total Pixels + aspect ratio??????? Totally winging it here.

What I have is a 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor. Before you clap, it is 19" square. When right clicking on the desktop, choosing properties, then selecting the settings tab. I see 800 x 600........16 bit. Resolution was set at minimum, could not be adjusted higher than that. Until the highest setting available of 32 bit was selected. Then I am able to adjust Resolution to 1024 x 768. Now my icons are smaller on my desktop. The factory blue XP screen that appears on the desktop with the icons, does not fit the screen. So, that is now framed like a picture frame, inside a lighter blue frame, that fills the screen. When viewing the page you see when submitting a comment, all tabs, comment box, and sentences are stretched out from left to right on my screen.

Okay, just went back and was able to select 1024 x 768 with 16 bit selected. All things viewed are still stretched out when compared to 800 x 600. I am fairly certain 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 is horizontal and vertical pixels per line. What is 16 and 32 bit? And why does 1024 x 768 stretch what is viewed on the screen?. I mean, besides there being more pixels per line. Does that change the aspect ratio? If so, what does that mean? Can someone give me computer screen 101 in laymen terms? After typing all this. It occurs to me HD is probably achieved at a certain vertical and horizontal pixel count. With that in mind, do I have a refresh rate? And, is my square LCD screen. A technology that proceeds the "wide screen" LCD and LED computer monitor and TV screen, most are familiar with today?.