Winter Pike Fishing anyone?

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Winter Pike Fishing anyone?

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:29 pm

I love pike fishing and when the weather is as nice as it has been Pike fishing in the winter can be very good.
I've had days where my partner and I got 8 to 10 pike in the boat in 3 hours or so, not bad for middle of winter. Basically as long as its not blowing hard or so cold that the guides freeze up, It can be great Pike fishing. I know how and where to catch them and I only use lures, no dead bait here.

If anyone with a suitable boat would like to fish Hayden lake in Idaho with me, I get them there every year from late Dec. till spring. most of the pike in Hayden run from 4 lb. to about 12 lbs max so no monsters just fun fishing. If there is any pike left in the P.O. River I have a spot i used to fish there as well that was good. There used to be MONSTERS here but not sure there is anything but hammer handles anymore. I know the fish in CDA would bite as well, but I don't know that lake very well yet. I do know what structure to look for to find them though.
They load up in schools in the winter and are really easier to find if you know what to look for. So since my boat is still dead If anyone with a boat and maybe a heater :) wants to team up, PM me.
Mark this means you :)
The good news is i got $1000 for X-mas to hopefully get my boat running again.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Winter Pike Fishing anyone?

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 am

I hung up the pike gear after my last trip out. Now I'm waiting for a semi warm day to get the boat cleaned up and re arranged, put in some new christmas tackle, and let her sit till spring. Good luck if you get out there.