Fly Fishing for pike anyone??

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Fly Fishing for pike anyone??

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 am

For years I have wanted to watch someone catch a nice pike on a fly rod. I don't know any fly fishermen that have the right gear to go after pike. I guess you would want a larger rod or something.
If you are a fly fisherman and have the desire and the gear to try for pike on a fly, send me a message or email and we'll see if we can hook up and go get some on a fly.
The pike fishing is getting better and I would love to see someone catch on on a fly. :cheers:

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Re: Fly Fishing for pike anyone??

Post by Natebg1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 am

Hey AJs Dad,

While I was on vacation back East I picked up a couple 8 weight Fly rod and reels, one with floating line and one with sinking line. Specifically I got both of these for Pike and Musky and now I am really eager to get back over to CDA and try them both out. I also have a few good flys I picked up in Montana on the way home the other day so when you are ready hopefully I can open my schedule up. Tight Lines!

Nate

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Any time. It looks like they are starting to bite a little so as long as othing comes up I'm fishing most weekends.

Abomb
Petty Officer

Post by Abomb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

I have fly fished for pike a ton on the PO before the kill off. I have an 8wt rod just for that occasion. Pike on the fly is a TON of work. Spring time is best when they are in the shallows. If you can find them on structure you can get them to go usually on a fly as well. I am avail most sundays and mondays if you want to give it a go.

trout-chaser
Petty Officer

Post by trout-chaser » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:12 am

We fish for Pike regularily in Sask... we use 9-10 wts... floating line.... and flies up to 8".. Its a great way to spend the day.