The Pike of 2011

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mark K
Lieutenant

Re: The Pike of 2011

Post by Mark K » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Fish-N-Fool wrote:Those are definitely some nice fish!!! Hope that one your dad caught didn't die, I see is was bleeding pretty bad. That's about the size of my biggest Pike ever, that I have actually landed. I don't have a picture if it though, forgot my camera that day. ;( I'm going out today, so hope to have some pixs of some toads to post tomorrow!
I caught a 60lb Pike up there last year too! I also forgot my camera though. I hate that!

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Hey Mark,

Sounds like I need to be out on the Pend Oreille with you fishing for the most enjoyable invasive species! I will make sure to bring the camera so we don't lose out on that monster shot, LOL... Just came back from the Sportsmans show in Puyallup and was able to get some good information. Amazing how many people don't know anything about the Pike in the Pend Oreille or don't want to talk about it. I guess you could say there are two mix of crowds, those who don't know about it and those who would prefer to not discuss it, guess we have the attention of some. Hey like they say, any publicity is good publicity. Take it easy on the East Side, can't wait till spring. Tight lines!

Nate

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Mark K wrote: I caught a 60lb Pike up there last year too! I also forgot my camera though. I hate that!
Not sure if you are just trying to be funny here or you were trying to be rude, but I never said I caught anything near that big and I still don't always have a camera with me on every trip. My big fish was a 21 lb fish according to the scale I had at that time and Igot it about 3 or 4 years ago.
As far as a 60 lber. Pike don't get that big, at least not around here. The world record is 69 lbs. and was 59 " long. There is this story of a guy that supposedly caught a 70" fish but ate the fish without getting it officially weighed. http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... =14&t=1549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did see one and had a hit off it that I think might have been close to 40 lbs. this last year. I also heard at the Pike Meeting last week that a friend of one of the members about 2 weeks ago a caught a 35lber. and it was released back into the P.O.
As far as my trip today to put it bluntly we got skunked, It was the worst day I've ever had on the river, we never even had a bump all day on either deadbait or lures. We threw all kind of baits and nothing was going on at all. I've never been out on the river this time of year and not at least had a fish hit one of the deadbaits. The Fish were there and in numbers and some really big ones too according to the side scan and down imaging sonar we had on board. Them things are friggin amazing by the way! So we had fish all around and not one hit. The only big difference I could see from this time and my last trip where we did good was the water temp. It had dropped from the high 39's to the mid to low 34's. Other then that everything seamed about the same.
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 am

Easy boys. We have all caught fish on the days we forgot the camera. I know Mark pretty well and I will guess he was just giving you a hard time. I keep a cannon sure shot in the boat at all times, in a zip lock bag with some extra batteries. I will never do a skin mount on a big fish so if I catch one, I want to be sure to have a camera along. Mounts are exremely expensive but a nice 8 X 10 photo hanging on the wall is very affordable and can be just as priceless.

Happy Fishing

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Hey Pike Fans,
I agree that pictures are certainly a much more affordable way to put up the bragging rights, plus the great thing too is usually it shows the surrounding area and the excitement of the moment. Nothing like getting to look at a photo and reliving the moment over and over. One of these days however, I am going to get myself one of those nice replica mounts just so I can have something to look at and remember, plus the color of a Giant Northern Pike on any wall always looks phenominal! Hoping for a Monster in Canada this summer, can't wait to get back to the real North Woods! Summer can't come fast enough, but spring is always a great time too, especially in Eastern Washington, can't wait to get back over that way too! Stay warm everyone, and get that gear ready for spring time!

Nate