New website in pending battle against voracious pike

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: New website in pending battle against voracious pike

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm

I heard he LET you catch it because he felt sorry for you because you weren't catching any fish that day. ImageImage
Tom.

Interests: living

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:22 pm

One fish. That's it. He has one fish bigger than my personal best and he got it when I wasn't with him otherwise I would have caught that one to. Go ahead Dog, tell them who puts more fish in the boat per day, every day. That's right, ME! :cheers:

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Lucius wrote:
AJ's Dad wrote:
Amx wrote:Well, yourdaddy is in Spokane with a Qwest internet supplier, but we'll be keeping an eye on him if he wants to cause trouble.

IP : 71.215.15.152 Neighborhood
Host : 71-215-15-152.spkn.qwest.net
I wonder if yourdaddy writes for the Spokesman Review. [flapper]

OK I was just kidding. I was sure he was a west sider. LOL
Or maybe they work for somebody else....
Wow, too much credit guys! You think this loser works? [laugh]

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Hey everyone,
Sounds like I need to get back over to the East Side and have another friendly competition of who can catch the Biggest Pike. Last time I was there I had the biggest one of the day on my own personal homemade lure until good ole Craig pulled out all the stops and brought the swimbait out for a good swim or should I say deadly swim! :scratch:

Yes, cabin fever has started to set in now that the Salmon fishing is finally pretty much done till spring, which by that time will mean it is back to the fun and action of freight train strikes and line burning off the reel. Something I can't say I have gotten to experience since pulling in my last Tiger Muskie back in September. It's OK though, I have a new weapon waiting to get wet that I can't wait to break out for the next challenge on the Pend Oreille. Don't worry, I won't take all the Pike just the biggest one for a Picture and measurement and back to the Great River she will go! I may keep a few for some enjoyment on the plate, but that is just because Pike are so darn good to eat and I can never resist a good Pike Fry, of course a little Walleye, with some panfish isn't bad either. Oh and I almost forgot, I owe a few of you some of my Grandmothers famous Pickled Pike, so remind me to bring my ingredients with me this spring and I will ensure to share the secrets with all the Pike lovers. Maybe if the Pike haters are nice I might share with them too, but only if they agree to calm it down a little bit and stop with all the BS and bashing of the Pike fans! Last I checked this is fishing, and it is suppose to be fun and enjoyable and all about getting out on the water and making great friends and memories! I can tell you all that I don't know one Pike fisherman out there that doesn't Rock and isn't a blast to fish with!!! Even if they do whip me every now and again with the good ole swimbait!!! I say we come up with a friendly competition of using 3 of everyones favorite Pike Lures and whoever catches the biggest out of those 3 lures wins the bragging rights and maybe some kind of Pike trophy. You ask where would we get something like that? Well I am working on the Pike topper as we speak and I am hoping to show it to everyone in the coming spring, but that means I have to finish up writing here and get back to work. Good Fishing and Tight Lines :cheers:

Nate

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:31 am

Sounds like fun Nate, we might have to just do that. I think we all have forgotten what this is all about. Its about enjoying the outdoors, fishing a river we all enjoy no matter what species we fish for. Its about fishing and having a great time doing it. This bickering among the fishing community is exactly what others want us to do. They want the fishing public to be divided in this. Remember we all fish and we have that in common no matter what type of fish we fish for. We have to remember the river is getting more fishing pressure and we have to share the river with others as the popularity grows and thats just a fact. The river has plenty of fish for everyone to catch and plenty of water to fish. Good fishing everyone.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 am

You can count me in on that little competition. I'm always up for that. I already have my favorite lure figured out. Mark K. if you read this :-$ Don't let the secret lure out of the bag.

I have had a few PM's and emails with a fellow Washington Laker about this whole thread and the whole pike issue. I feel that these discussions have been informative, as well as a bit overboard, inflamitory, and sometimes downright childish. Here's what I told him.
I think that no matter how long or how hard we all talk about this issue, ultimately it may be all for not. Our opinions are just that, our opinions. I believe that in the end, the WDFW will say "We are the biologists, we're the experts, and we know what's best" "Thanks for your input but the war on pike will continue".

To sum up my opinion of how to handle controlling the pike:
Set up limits that require releasing all big fish. Over 30".
Encourage fishermen and women to keep more fish of the most effective size range.
And most importantly:
Concentrate all efforts to remove pike in Boundary Reservoir

It is my intent to continue to read this thread but not to continue to restate my opinion any longer. It's getting old. (I hope I can live up to that)

Happy Fishing everyone and let me know when that friendly little competition is to be held. don't make it too official, we might end up needing a permit or something.

Peace.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 pm

AJ's Dad wrote:You can count me in on that little competition. I'm always up for that. I already have my favorite lure figured out. Mark K. if you read this :-$ Don't let the secret lure out of the bag.

I have had a few PM's and emails with a fellow Washington Laker about this whole thread and the whole pike issue. I feel that these discussions have been informative, as well as a bit overboard, inflamitory, and sometimes downright childish. Here's what I told him.
I think that no matter how long or how hard we all talk about this issue, ultimately it may be all for not. Our opinions are just that, our opinions. I believe that in the end, the WDFW will say "We are the biologists, we're the experts, and we know what's best" "Thanks for your input but the war on pike will continue".

Encourage fishermen and women to keep more fish of the most effective size range.
And most importantly:

It is my intent to continue to read this thread but not to continue to restate my opinion any longer. It's getting old. (I hope I can live up to that)

Happy Fishing everyone and let me know when that friendly little competition is to be held. don't make it too official, we might end up needing a permit or something.

Peace.
I believe that in the end, the WDFW will say "We are the biologists, we're the experts, and we know what's best" "Thanks for your input but the war on pike will continue".

Mark,
I strongly disagree with you on that comment. If you know those bios from the DFW at all, I really serious doubt they would say anything remotely close to that. I respect you very much and cannot wait to catch a bigger northern than you this spring. See ya buddy, Todd

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 am

muskyhunter wrote:
AJ's Dad wrote:You can count me in on that little competition. I'm always up for that. I already have my favorite lure figured out. Mark K. if you read this :-$ Don't let the secret lure out of the bag.

And most importantly:

Peace.
I believe that in the end, the WDFW will say "We are the biologists, we're the experts, and we know what's best" "Thanks for your input but the war on pike will continue".

Mark,
I strongly disagree with you on that comment. If you know those bios from the DFW at all, I really serious doubt they would say anything remotely close to that. I respect you very much and cannot wait to catch a bigger northern than you this spring. See ya buddy, Todd
Todd, I also doubt these are the words that are used by the bios, however I have to agree with Mark that this is the opinion of them. There is nothing that we fisherman can say to change their mind. I hope to net that bigh pike for ya in the spring! Mark showed me right where she's at so we will go get her! Lol, see ya