Pend Oreille River Pike tournament sign-up info

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sparky1doug
Lieutenant

RE:Pend Oreille River Pike tournament sign-up info

Post by sparky1doug » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:57 pm

I did a little research on the map Rick provided. According to the United Tribes Fisheries Center's study from years back, here is a list of names for those locations. 1. Jared Slough 2. Gardener Slough North 3. Gardener Slough South 4. Needle Island or as we've nick named it "One Cow". 5. Osprey Bay 6. Campbell Slough 7. Locke Slough 8. Tacoma Slough to the North and Trimble Slough to the South 9. Bass Slough 10. Blind Slough 11. Calispel Slough 12. Usk Slough 13. Davis Slough 14. Skookum Slough 15. Le Qlerq Island or as we know it "Dead Cow". Many of these have no offical name so locals may have many different titles. But this will be what my map shows, for all its worth.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Knowing all those sloughs name isnt going to help anyone win the tournament since none of them will have water in them come tournament time lol.....if there even unfrozen by then lol.....
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

True, oh wise one. Is ice fishing allowed in the tournament? [lol] Those sloughs won't likely be worth fishing until April or possibly May. Is this more of a normal winter this year on the POR? Meaning spring will arrive late April or early May.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:13 pm

I can say the slughs are still frozen over. Just got back from there. No fish seen, one hit. Doubled my new muskie rod over! It was a good fish, although I never saw it. I lost her about 5 seconds into the fight. Had to be one of two things; Either I hooked her, and pulled her right into the rocks (could feel her fighting, and moving off to the side); She was a hog molly. I would like to think the latter, but I don't know because I never saw her. Other than that I saw one small bass follow the same lure in. The lure was the one I made and posted pictures of early this winter. It's a combination spinner and swim bait. Water temps was sitting at 38-39 degrees. Still very cold. Don't think the air temp got above 35. Still a good day on the river, since it was the first of many outings this year. Can't wait to chase the tigers...... If we could just get rid of that ice!
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies
http://www.mountainmuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 pm

That all looks about the same as I know Sparky. Like Craig said though, it isn't gonna matter for the tournament. Those things are empty and FROZEN! And this week isn't gonna help that any with the temps in the single digits.

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Well main river it is than. Bundle up my friends and have the snow shovel handy. Check out my new blog by clicking on it from my signature below.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Good news is it cant be any worse weather than we had in October! I hope

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm

dougw wrote:
kevinb wrote:Is their an age limit on participants? More specifically,would a 4 year old be able to attend?
and will their be a judge boat to determine results in length/girth or opt for a livewell with a weigh in at the end?
Kevin, We have not ever put an age limit on the tournaments. If you can handle a fishing pole (Snoopy pole or otherwise!) you can fish the tournaments. We strive as a club to be family friendly and get the whole family involved. That being said, I am not sure about kids (under 18) actually being involved in the money/prize stuff..... We will have to check into the legalities there, just to cover ourselves. But they have always been welcome in the boat to fish with everyone. Again, we strive to be family friendly and keep the kids involved.

Last year the entry was only $10 per boat, if I recall. That includes as many people as can be safely carried and fish out of your boat according to Coast Guard Regulations. We made it enough so we covered the cost of the permit, and allowed for a little left over for a good little prize for someone.

As far as judging. Fish are measured for length. Winner is usually the one with the most inches of fish at the end, so girth doesn't come into play. It could come into play, if there are two fish buying for big fish award (separate kitty). Most, if not all of the fish are kept. No arguments when the fish are in your hands! In the event that a larger pike were caught and was to be released, then another boat would have to verify like our muskie tournaments. So, picture next to the tape, and a witness outside your boat and all is good.

As Craig said in a previous post on this thread..... Watch the website on Wednesday evening/ Friday Morning. I will post the rules as we set them at our next meeting on Tuesday Feb 22.
Thanks dougw, I really appreciate the info. and would certainly love to come out. Sounds like you got some good folks in your club. I'll checkout your website too.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 am

Kevin we look at it like come one come all everyones welcome...bring on the fish and bring on the good times....

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Well Sounds like I need to bring the Auger out with me so that we can fish certain areas during the tournament. Is is against the rules to anchor the boat and step out onto the ice LOL... Well, hopefully things will start to warm up and thaw out by the time the tournament starts to roll around. Look forward to keeping the party going in March!!! Keep warm everyone, the snow is on its way!!!

Nate

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Here is the offical word on kids fishing tournaments. Kids are more than welcome to fish the tournaments and are eligable to win the prizes. The price of the tournament will be $5.00 per angler with another $5.00 for big fish per angler. We will payout 1st-2nd-3rd places. Sign-up will be at the Cusick boat launch starting at 8:00 am and the tournament will run from 9:00am to 3:00pm. It will be a combined inches total for each individual There will be a one pole in the water at a time per angler so no two pole edorsment fishing. There will be no dead bait fishing only artifical baits and flys. If anyone has any questions just post them and i will try and get them answered for you....
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Craig,
You may want to list the "Required Items" you need to fish this tournament here, that you covered at the meeting.

Which brings me to a question, do we need a "contest" banner for the motor to fish this? You didn't mention it so just wondering. I have needed to have one in the past to fish bass tourneys in Washington. I have one, but my buddy (Michael that I brought to the meeting) wants to fish out of his boat and he doesn't have one. If he needs one where would you get it at? Mine came with my boat, so I never had to find one.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Yes, everyone will need a Contest Banner. I'm sure you can get them at any boat shop like Spokane Valley Marine. The other things you will need are a good landing net, Jaw Spreaders, Long Needle nose pliers (and/or hook remover), hook cutters, and a soft tape to get the girth of the fish. Girth will be the tiebreaker for the big fish.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Equipment needed is as follows, contestant banner for motor(valley marine sells these),side cutters,jaw spreader,knotless net if possible,needle nose pliers, digital camera. I think the rules are on the website but i may be mistaken, if not we will have them posted before the tournament for everyone to see.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 pm

The rules are not posted yet, but will be sometime tonight or tomorrow. Valley Marine was the only place in town I found that sells the banners needed.
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Good Luck To EveryBody Participating In The Contest !!!

You guys are lucky im not participating, id show you guys all up!! :^o

Haha, yeah right.
Ive never even seen a pike in person.
Its not about winning any ways,
just go out, catch some fish, and have a good time !
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Rules Posted for everyone!
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:19 pm

It will be first come first on the roaster for the tournament. We only have a 20 boat limit. If people want to email me at melodie@yjguideservice and sign-up early with your name and the names of the people fishing out of your boat that would be great along with a phone number. We will accept early sign-ups on a first response first on the list over people that show the day of the tournament. Thanks Craig

Black Plague
Petty Officer

Post by Black Plague » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:26 pm

sounds like fun...one question though...where is everyone gonna park?....that parking lot is iddy bitty isnt it? or maybe it just always seemed small...also can you camp at the launch right there in that grassy area?

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Black Plague wrote:sounds like fun...one question though...where is everyone gonna park?....that parking lot is iddy bitty isnt it? or maybe it just always seemed small...also can you camp at the launch right there in that grassy area?
There should be plenty of room. I'm pretty sure there wont be to many others outside of the tournament there either. Camping I'm not sure about