Monster 51 pound pike

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
oly1
Petty Officer

Monster 51 pound pike

Post by oly1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:34 pm

Thought everyone might be interested in this brute. Would have been fun on hook and line but pretty sure he would have been too smart for that.

Johnny Darter
Angler

Re: Monster 51 pound pike

Post by Johnny Darter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Wow, what a hog! Do you know where this was speared? When you are out panfishing and a northern comes through and scares them off you can send down a fathead,shiner, or sucker and usually catch them to get them out of the area. They probably had a wooden decoy going in circles or a big sucker to bring him in. Caught a 34in northern on 4lb test through the ice last year on a fatboy and maggot. That was fun!

oly1
Petty Officer

Post by oly1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Was posted as the Michigan Monster! from Antrim County 57" 51 pounds. Amazing fish and I have seen a musky about the same size at a sporting good store by Leech Lake. Pretty cool the guys would bring in their big fish and put it in the freezer in the front window so people walking down the street could stop and look at the big fish thru the window. The crazy thing is the heads on those things is like an alligator. You could literally stick your head in it's mouth and the teeth on those things are about 1/2 long. Pretty nasty on the business end of the big guys.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Wow...that's a huge muskie. I didn't think you could spear muskie through the ice up there? Am I wrong?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:07 am

Lucius wrote:Wow...that's a huge muskie. I didn't think you could spear muskie through the ice up there? Am I wrong?

Come on Lucious--- the story calls it a pike

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:04 pm

That is a musky. A couple of my musky guide buddies back in Michigan are pretty irrate..speared through the ice. Unfortunately it is legal to do so. Muskies are now closed for the season but spearing through the ice for these critters is legal..kinda messed up!

oly1
Petty Officer

Post by oly1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Probably why they listed it as a pike. I saw the picture and cut and pasted and didn't even pay attention. They should have lots of new friends after posting that one on facebook.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Muskie spearing is an epidemic in Michigan and Northern Wisconsin. Unfortunate. Their outdated treatys allow it.