Northern Pike Anyone?

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Re: Northern Pike Anyone?

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 am

YJ Guide Service wrote:You dont need to deadbait to catch Pike this time of year. Seems like most guys that deadbait catch one or two. We can go out and double and triple that out put by casting lures. I dont like the idea of hooking a big fish deep with a treble hook which is used in a dead bait rig. Just my opinion....

I only dead bait in the winter and if done correctly it is not any more harmful then fishing lures, most of the guys that deadbait from the bank wait to long to set the hook and will gut hook a fish. I have never hurt a fish yet deadbaiting, but as the water warms up to the high 40's I pretty much only throw swimbaits, spinners or plugs.
AJ's Dad wrote:Do you want me to put you in my boat, drive you to the spot, tie one of my lures on for you, cast it out and hand you the rod?

YES :) LOL when boat-less I will take any opportunity to go fishing. Even if yah want to make fun of me. I can take it.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:21 am

I wasn't making fun of you Rick. I was having fun "With You" [flapper]

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Hey all,
Heres your sign!
Attachments
IMG950582.jpg
IMG950582.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 4071 times

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:25 am

Todd, its funny you post that sign now. I was just talking with Doug W and AJs Dad last week about how misleading those signs are when posted on the river. It is not illegal to release pike live on the river! And this, unless you are educated on the matter makes it sound like they are not to be released.

I understand why these or similar signs are posted at muskie lakes, but I dont like that either. To the average angler muskie and pike are very similar looking. I could see anglers doing the "right thing" and keeping an undersized tiger thinking it was a pike... there I go talking about muskies in a Pike forum, sorry Todd :-({|=

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Well Markie, so far this year you haven't had to worry about that now have you? [flapper]

LOL I'm just giving you a hard time. I know it's early and you've only been out one time so far. We can fix that.

"Catch and Release Baby" Weather they like it or not!

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I agree let them all live and breed for years if were lucky....

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Mark K wrote:Todd, its funny you post that sign now. I was just talking with Doug W and AJs Dad last week about how misleading those signs are when posted on the river. It is not illegal to release pike live on the river! And this, unless you are educated on the matter makes it sound like they are not to be released.

I understand why these or similar signs are posted at muskie lakes, but I dont like that either. To the average angler muskie and pike are very similar looking. I could see anglers doing the "right thing" and keeping an undersized tiger thinking it was a pike... there I go talking about muskies in a Pike forum, sorry Todd :-({|=
Yup Marky Mark,
Talkin ski's in the northern pike forum. Its ok..no hurt feelins.
My buddy fished up on the river last weekend and shot me the photo. I didnt know there was a fine involved with the northerns. Was that new? Just wondering. Another un-forceable rule I think. Just like the lead deal with the loons.
Did Bye and you get a date set for our northern pike excursion? Will we need tip-ups? Lookin forward to that man!
See ya, Todd

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:20 am

Todd,
I'm not sure what you mean by an unenforcable rule, other than how hard it would be to catch someone doing the old bucket biology thing. I believe what I have read, and what I have heard at the meetings with the WDFW is that a pike caught in the POR or any other waters can be released back in to that same water. Where breaking the law comes in is when someone takes a pike, transports it to another body of water, and drops it in. The way the sign reads though can be confusing. It simply says "If you see someone transporting or releasing live fish, call the Washington state patrol".
I wonder how many concerned citizens that read this sign will missinterprate it and call the state patrol when they see someone release a pike in the POR, because they didn't understand.
They may have to channel some of that 10 million dollars to the WSP to help handle the extra amount of calls. LOL

If I get pulled over by a WSP officer on the way home for a tail light, I wonder if the officer is going to ask to look in my live well to see if I'm transporting any "LIve fish"? I suppose they could, but I would imagine they have better things to do.

On a related story, I talked a while back with a guy from Arizona. His buddy caught what he thought was a new Arizona state record large mouth bass. He didn't want to kill the fish and remove it from the gene pool, so he put it in his livewell and went looking for a certified scale. He thought he would weigh it, have the new record, then put the fish back in the lake where he caught it. When he got close to the local game office, he wondered if they would have a scale. He stopped and asked the question. The warden asked to see the fish. After he had proudly displayed his catch, the warden told him he didn't have a certified scale, but what he did have for the happy fisherman was a ticket for transporting a live game fish. Needless to say, my friendss friend was less than happy. There's what you get for trying to be a responsible fisherman and also obtain a new state record.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 am

To add to this If your caught with Pike in your live well or cooler that are still alive you are in trouble. They have to be dead when you leave the boat launch. I agree this sign is very misleading, which i think it was made that way. AJ if you ever need someone to fish with let me know.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:07 pm

muskyhunter wrote:
Mark K wrote:Todd, its funny you post that sign now. I was just talking with Doug W and AJs Dad last week about how misleading those signs are when posted on the river. It is not illegal to release pike live on the river! And this, unless you are educated on the matter makes it sound like they are not to be released.

Yup Marky Mark,
Talkin ski's in the northern pike forum. Its ok..no hurt feelins.
My buddy fished up on the river last weekend and shot me the photo. I didnt know there was a fine involved with the northerns. Was that new? Just wondering. Another un-forceable rule I think. Just like the lead deal with the loons.
Did Bye and you get a date set for our northern pike excursion? Will we need tip-ups? Lookin forward to that man!
See ya, Todd
The fine would be if releasing Pike into a different water. Has that not always existed? I knew you could be held responsible for the cost of "eradication". And I agree with you Craig that they did word they sign that way (misleading) on purpose.

I haven't heard any dates from Bye yet Todd. I'm looking forward to it though. I'm hoping the Tip-Ups can be left at home though, the water up there is warming slowly but surely!

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Can't Wait to get back on the river!
Attachments
40570_10100287776779960_13934227_64333927_4213801_n.jpg
40570_10100287776779960_13934227_64333927_4213801_n.jpg (93.27 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

AJ's Dad wrote:Todd,
I'm not sure what you mean by an unenforcable rule, other than how hard it would be to catch someone doing the old bucket biology thing. I believe what I have read, and what I have heard at the meetings with the WDFW is that a pike caught in the POR or any other waters can be released back in to that same water. Where breaking the law comes in is when someone takes a pike, transports it to another body of water, and drops it in. The way the sign reads though can be confusing. It simply says "If you see someone transporting or releasing live fish, call the Washington state patrol".
I wonder how many concerned citizens that read this sign will missinterprate it and call the state patrol when they see someone release a pike in the POR, because they didn't understand.
They may have to channel some of that 10 million dollars to the WSP to help handle the extra amount of calls. LOL
Mark..the rule is hard to enforce. And you used examples in your statement to answer that yourself. I just thought you pike guys might have just wanted to see the sign. I agree the sign is a bit misleading. BUT, if you are a goodsportsman and know there is a rule that if broken I would doubt those folks well, would be on top of it. I think the only way you would get questioned is if another fisherman or woman saw you dumping fish in a lake or river. In all my years fishing here in Washington I have been questioned 2wice by wardens. Again, maybe not anymore. And they never asked if I had any fish in the live well..not once. So I think any fishermans odds is pretty low of getting stopped. But now the Pend is a hot area. So the dude that has the shot of the pike release might get tickected? Just sayin..I could use 5 grand.Just playin! Wouldnt do that..If I get pulled over by a WSP officer on the way home for a tail light, I wonder if the officer is going to ask to look in my live well to see if I'm transporting any "LIve fish"? I suppose they could, but I would imagine they have better things to do.
I have been pulled over by the WSP for a driving infraction and the patrolman never asked anything like if I had been been or anything fishing related period. Maybe now I will I dont know..On a related story, I talked a while back with a guy from Arizona. His buddy caught what he thought was a new Arizona state record large mouth bass. He didn't want to kill the fish and remove it from the gene pool, so he put it in his livewell and went looking for a certified scale. He thought he would weigh it, have the new record, then put the fish back in the lake where he caught it. When he got close to the local game office, he wondered if they would have a scale. He stopped and asked the question. The warden asked to see the fish. After he had proudly displayed his catch, the warden told him he didn't have a certified scale, but what he did have for the happy fisherman was a ticket for transporting a live game fish. Needless to say, my friendss friend was less than happy. There's what you get for trying to be a responsible fisherman and also obtain a new state record.
Huh..! Really how good of a buddy is this guy? LOL Sounds like a fish story to me. All the dude would have had to do is get a note from the guy with the scale saying what happend and I think he would've been okay. I think that was a fish story.
See yah, Todd

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Well s**t,looks like I'm going to have to pull more OT at work and attempt to avoid jail time. How else am I suppose
to stock my pike farm? On a more serious note,its pretty evident that the sign is misleading. I don't support bucket biology
but they could have worked a little better at the usage of language but again,I personally feel that it was intended to be misleading.

Been meaning to give a few of you some phone calls,just been busy with work and hockey/arena politics and god knows what else. I won't be making as many trips to the eastside as last year but the PO and CDA are certainly on the list as usual
but I'm really aiming for Noxon. Anyhow,chat with you guys later

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:31 am

I was just reading the Bass forum.
There was a post over there that Mark k wrote about top 100 bass lakes.
He made mention of Pike being in Dworshack Res.
Any conformation of this?
How long have they been there?
Why was this not part of the argument for the Pike in the Pend Orellie?

I have heard rumors for years of Pike being caught in the Snake but this is the first I have heard of them being in Dworshack.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:00 am

Dworshack was #85 on the list. Mark's post said all nporthern bodies of water in the top 20 had Pike in them.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 am

I did make a note that it was but it easily could have been bad info from a google search. I've never fished it so I really don't know for sure.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am

I spend a bit of time at Dworshack.
Thoght I may have missed something,lol.

nicco1
Angler

Post by nicco1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Does anyone know where the best place for me to catch pike without a boat around the washington idaho border would be? I would love to catch some as they are my favorite fish by far... but I can't find a place where I'd have a decent chance at catching one without a boat.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Rose lake.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:22 pm

I would say try Lake CDA out Wolf Lodge bay area, some good spots to fish off the road at the end of the bay there.