Canada Pike Here We Come!!!!

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Drumdog
Petty Officer

Re: Canada Pike Here We Come!!!!

Post by Drumdog » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Awesome pics guys! That does look like it was one heck of a trip.
I'd love to get up there someday.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

great pics and report guys.

It would be really cool if you could post a report to the site, so these excellent pike pictures become a permanent part of the web site.

Our new, "Outside Washington" report form is located here:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/NewOutsideWAReport.aspx

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BigCatDaddy
Angler

Post by BigCatDaddy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 am

WOW, THAT LOOKS GREAT. WILL BE HEADING TO LAKE ATHABASCA ON 6-23 HOPE THE FISHING IS AS GOOD. TOLD OLDEST GRANDSON WHEN HE GRADUATED I WOULD THAKE HIM WHERE HE WANTED TO GO. HOPE TO GET LOTS OF PICS. IT WILL BE HIS JOB TO GET THEM INTO W-L.COM.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Buddy, glad to see you guys had fun and caught lots of fish.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 am

Rosann G wrote:Buddy, glad to see you guys had fun and caught lots of fish.

Thanks Rosann!!! Yeah I am already having pike withdrawals!!!

BidcatDaddy,
I just read an article about the pike at Anthabasca and let me tell you I am jealous of you!!! It stated that 40-60 pike days are very common with 5-8 over 40 each day!!! You definitely have to post a report!! Or you can send me the pictures and report and I can post it for you as I am very interested on how you guys do!!

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Buddy,
I say we hide out in Big Cat Daddy's bags and go along for another Canadian trip :) I can't wait for next years adventure! I'm ready to go again right now! Well good luck Big Cat Daddy You are going to have a BLAST!!! Any Canadian fishing is Amazing no matter what you are fishing for or where it is at! I too am curioua about Anthabasca and how well you do, definetely report back your success! Tight Lines

Nate Pike Baron

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Does this lake have size restrictions on walleye? I must admit,this place looks very convincing to drop in at.
I wouldn't keep any big 'eyes but wouldn't mind a few smaller ones by the campfire/shore lunch.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:09 am

You can keep 5 only 1 over like 26" I think or 28". Similar for the northern you can keep 5 only 1 over 30". The G&S Marina owners though would perfer everybody put back all big fish. I believe her exact words " If the law permited, we would stand by the fish cleaning station with AR-15's to enforce the return of all large pike and walleye for the preservation of the fishery..." or something along those lines.

I can say that this metality is working as we have stated the average pike caught was about 34" or around 10lbs. How many places can you say the average pike you caught was 10lbs.....I don't know many that have the chance at producing that quality of fish.

:cheers:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 am

Lucius wrote:You can keep 5 only 1 over like 26" I think or 28". Similar for the northern you can keep 5 only 1 over 30". The G&S Marina owners though would perfer everybody put back all big fish. I believe her exact words " If the law permited, we would stand by the fish cleaning station with AR-15's to enforce the return of all large pike and walleye for the preservation of the fishery..." or something along those lines.

I can say that this metality is working as we have stated the average pike caught was about 34" or around 10lbs. How many places can you say the average pike you caught was 10lbs.....I don't know many that have the chance at producing that quality of fish.

:cheers:

Sounds like my kind of people!!! Thanks for the information,the lake I mentioned earlier (Keho) is great but doesn't even produce northerns of that size on a basis of what you guys had. Theres big northerns but those pics are epic. The only place that I can think of that can produce pike like you folks had would be Kasba but thats a pricey trip. I'm currently packing up the truck/boat and taking the family on a northern trip but we're going for numbers to keep the kids interested. Thanks again for the info,that place looks well worth the trip.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:42 am

Hey boys,
I hate to beat a dead horse but I would say the POR would have produced very similar size fish to Last Mountain if it had been managed istead of "DESTROYED"

I just watched that episode of In Fisherman where they fished at Last Mountain with Mr. Shultz. My wife happened to be in the room. I just looked at her and said, "I'm going there next year" "Would you like to come"?

Who knows, I might just have to make a run up there this year. HHMMMMMM ??

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 am

I have to agree AJ's Dad....and don't tease me about going back this year...I almost didn't come back :-"

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Did someone say ROADTRIP!!! Twice in a year, let's do it! I am already going thru Canada Fishing Withdrawal, it really is AMAZING and undeniably better than almost any fishery in the States. I hate to even admit to that, but Canada just knows how to take much better care of there fisheries and protect the big gals. Plus they do a heck of a job educating people and showing how to care for each species instead of jumping the gun and throwing caution to the wind! I had mentioned while we were in Saskatchewan what was being done on the PO River and they almost were going to pull there guns out and shoot me until I told them that I was certainly not for it! They were absolutely STUNNED as to how any organization could take such a drastic approach instead of weighing all the options on the table.

I am definitely game for next year and am already starting to make plans to be ready, the only suggestion I would have is to try and plan it a little later in June and make sure to be either around the Full Moon Cycle or New Moon Cycle. I truly believe there is a BIG FACTOR in the success we had due to the Full Moon. We caught all of our biggest Fish on the day of the Full Moon, everything before that and after that was much smaller and a little slower. Keep me in the loop, I am fair game to do this trip again next year!

Nate The Pike Baron

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:22 am

Natebg1 wrote:They were absolutely STUNNED as to how any organization could take such a drastic approach instead of weighing all the options on the table.
Oh, I'm sure they did weigh all the options. And the money won. Back in 2009 they were talking about management, then they did a 180 when they realized it paid more to kill them.

Without spending money on my countless trips to the river in the future I may be able to pull off heading up to Canada.