Pike meeting update March 22nd

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Pike meeting update March 22nd

Post by YJ Guide Service » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 am

Well first off i would like to thank everyone from WDFW and the Kalispel Tribe that came to the meeting to speak to us. We had about 50 concerned Pike fisherman at the meeting, we almost needed a big meeting room. The meeting lasted over 2 and half hours and the biologists were more than happy to answer all our questions. Even if we still dont know exactly how many fish they need to remove from the river, we atleast know what their short term plans are as far as gill netting for population numbers like they did last year. I think we all agree that the Pike numbers need to be controlled, i think the biggest problem is that the state of Washington hasnt ever had to deal with Pike and this is all a learning process and is going to take time to figure out the best methods for population control are going to be. I think they got alot of good ideas proposed to them at this meeting and now its up to them to see if any of them are even a option or affordable. I am happy to see they are willing to have these kinda meetings to keep the public informed. They will be doing hopefully 2 more of these meetings before they begin there gill net surveys. I for one am still concerned about the state wanting to change the statues of the Pike from a game fish to a evasive species. I wish they would have had more info on this subject, but hopefully in the near future they will address this. I know we didnt all agree with everything they said but we need to understand we need to all try and work together to accomplish the ultimate long term goal. They also incouraged us to keep as many Pike as we can as fisherman since that is partially the reason the numbers are growing. Basically its that not many fisherman are keeping the Pike according the boat surveys the Tribe has been doing. With that being said we took that as a personal challenege to help with reduceing the numbers by keeping and eating as many small fish as we can. Remember we are all for releaseing the big fish and eating the small ones. If people dont want to mess with the fish them themselves they can drop them off at the foodbank. If people are still concerned about anything thats going on dont be affraid to contact your local legislators and let them know how you feel. Hopefully well see everyone at the PO River on Sat for the tournament registration is at 8, tournament meeting at 8:30, start time is 9:00-3:00 pm. If you havent signed up you might want to get ahold of me at melodie@yjguideservice.com to pre register since we only have a few spot left.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

RE:Pike meeting update March 22nd

Post by sparky1doug » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:32 am

I too would like to thank WDFW and the Kaliispell Tribe for coming to speak to the fisherman and entertain questions and comments. The future of the fishery depends on cooperation and open discussion. Just being able to have a say or know what the plan is means a lot to those of us whom spend our hard earned money to go fishing and enjoy our time on the water. I have found that the managers and biologists are just as passionate about thier jobs which provide us fisheries as we are about our fish. My hope is that last night was a first step on a long road of working together.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 am

As stated prior a major concern WDFW has is that the Pike can get into Lake Roosevelt and then further downstream. They said that would be a big problem and that basically they will do what they have to in order to stop that. Here is an article about Pike in Alaska that are taking over the Salmon Rivers, and "ruined" the fisheries. Link

They are going to decrease the population of Pike as much as they can(or to the point they are most comfortable with), its not a question of if but how soon. I like how a guy at the meeting said he would much more enjoy catching a 28 inch Pike vs a 7 or 8 inch Trout, very funny but very true and I couldn't agree more that the statement.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I hope that what you got was not window dressing. If they make Pike invasive, then we won't even be able to keep them to eat them.

Still, at least for now, it looks like they are talking to you. (sorry, got sick after I saw you and could not make it).

Keep vigilant, don't let them pull the wool over your eyes, but it looks like there may be hope.

PS, there are already Pike in Roosevelt. They came down through the Spokane River. I caught two of them about three years ago. I think the numbers are really low, but they are here.

Worse yet, I suspect, based on past limited history, that there is a large number of them in the Spokane River in the slack water above upriver dam. Worse yet because fishermen can't even get access to the water unless you own land on the river. It drives me nuts to see boats and docks but know I can't launch or fish it myself.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.