Pend Oreille River update

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Pend Oreille River update

Post by YJ Guide Service » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Has anyone been up on the river lately and seen if any of the boat launchs are open. We've been up there duck hunting a few weeks ago but only launching the small boat cause of the snow in the launchs.
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

RE:Pend Oreille River update

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 pm

I looked at the Oldtown launch today. It has some snow on it but only about 3 to 4 inches. I figure I may have to put chains on the front to help keep the rig straight backing into the water. The last 25 feet of the ramp was bare so not worried about taking my Explorer for a swim. :) There was no ice under the snow though so that should help.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks for the report Rick..I think i'll try the sandy shores launch this weekend...

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Is Sandy Shore just down the road from Pioneer Park? Do you think they are hanging in the deep channels off the islands between there and Indian Creek?
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Is there a list of public/pay boat launches in the Pikey stretch of that river anywhere? Or can someone list some launches? I've never been there and want to give it a shot this year and don't have a clue where to go. My mother lives in Springdale and I'm trying to leverage that somehow.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:00 am

PDX there are launces at sandy shores (free) which is between pioneer park and the Usk bridge on the eastside of the river. There is a launch at Davis rd(free),Cusick boat launch (free),oldtown at the bridge (free with idaho liscense), Usk store(pay), and Pioneer park has one (pay). I think there probley in the deep water right now 15ft-20ft. I'll let you know after i go out on Friday.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Hey Craig, Just wanted to let you know that the oldtown launch isn't in to bad of shape. There were 2 boats out on the river today and 1 of them was ME!!!! LOL
I put chains on the front of my Exploder to keep it from sliding backing down and had no problems at all launching.
AS far as the fishing we found them in the bay shallow, in about 9ft. to 14ft. of water. Had 5 bites and got 2 of them, I got one on a S-Waver swimbait in 9 foot of water and one on herring under a slip bobber that was 10 feet down in about 14ft of water. We fished for smallies for about 2 hour with no luck and for pike about 2 hours. Neither fish was a monster that I caught but we had a fish roll right next to the boat that was pushing 13 to 15 pounds, so the fish are there and somewhat willing to bite. I'm thinking about going again tomorrow.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oAoqZvrqY7o

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Hey Rick,

I think I'm gong to try and go this next week a few times when the weather stabilizes a little like wed and thur. I dont bobber fish for the reason that usually the fish swallow the bait and then you end up killing the bigger fish and i'm all for catch and release lol. Dont get me wrong i eat alot of the smaller fish we catch. Let me know maybe we can get together this week. I think mel wants to go out on Sunday if the the weather is ok.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:04 pm

I cant launch at that launch since i dont have a Idaho License yet. Did you fish the area by the islands down there in the bay? I tried for smalleys by drop shotting but nothing. I have to launch by sandy shores if i fish that area.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Craig,
The way I rig my herring I dont hurt many fish, but it happens sometimes. I release about 95% of all the fish I get too, even off a slip boober and herring. For Bass it's 100% release and if I EVER get a Tiger it would be a release too. LOL

We were in the front of Ashton Feltcher bay in the still water in that 7 to 18 foot area. Didn't have any problems gettin a bite though so if you need some lessons I would be happy to help. LOL J/King
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oAoqZvrqY7o

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 pm

AHHH you were fishing the stocked pond area of the river thats were the rookies fish lol. I,ve fished that alot in the past. I will probley fish it more when i get a Idaho license is there any good fishing the otherside of the bridge for Pike? I see alot of people bobber fishing in that bay, its fun in that bay cause i'll be throwing lures and they'll say its to early to use those and i'll ask how many have you caught and they say one or none and i'll can usually say 5-8 guess the lurees dont work early lol...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Sounds like the Pend Oreille is just waiting for us Westerners to come over to the East Side to heat up. Maybe we should all come over a little early to get things going sooner rather than later LOL... I tell you I can't wait to get back over there in March. Doug and I will be coming over again for the Tourney and we are hoping to take the Pike Cup back with us this time :cheers: Look forward to seeing everyone real soon!!! Keep Warm till then

Nate

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:55 pm

There are some great spots for SM and some LM too, but I have only caught a few pike above the bridge and none of them were big. So I'd say it's not a good area for pike. I do catch a bunch of big trout while bass fishing up there though. Lots of really big Browns and Bows up there. You get a few Cuts and Bull trout and beleive it or not a few Macks too!!!
You do know that this bay is in Washington not Idaho dont you. So you don't need an Idaho license to fish it. Above there and the other side of the Island is Idaho though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oAoqZvrqY7o

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:43 am

Ok, you guys are driving me crazy. It sure is great to hear that the Pike are hitting even when the rivers under winter's grip. Nate grab your long johns and lets hit the road.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:59 am

I know the bay is in Washington but the launch is in Idaho