trashing our lakes and streams

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
beerman1981
Commander

RE:trashing our lakes and streams

Post by beerman1981 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:21 am

panfisher wrote:talked to couple who do alot of shore fishing, said they use to hand out trash bags to everyone that they walked passed. it worked to some degree, some said thanks and did just that and others were offended. they stopped handing them out when they found the bags used but still scattered around. the worst is the beer bottles that are broken aroud the pathways. lots of kids use these areas to swim and fish on summer vacations. i remember having the pleasure of stepping on some when i was a kid.
I always cringe when I see a broken beer bottle along a path, or by a body of water. Despite a persons best efforts, one can never get every single piece of shattered glass and because of this, no place is safe to step barefoot anymore. The people you refer to really had the right idea, and if people took offence, it was probably because they knew they were "personally" guilty of littering. I don't understand what is so hard about packing in what you packed out. If a person packed in pop, beer, snacks, etc, obviously they had an ice chest or back pack, etc. to pack it in.... It's really not that hard to throw the empties back into those devices, and take them home. That is what I always do... pop cans, beer cans, sandwich bags, etc always go into the ice chest, to be sorted through when I get home.

I was pretty upset to go to a high altitude lake (Dog Lake) a few days ago and see quite a bit of litter. It seems that no matter how primative the location, people are equally inconsiderate of their waste. I figured that by getting far away from civilization, the litter problem would be alleviated. Potato chip bags, beer cans, etc were scattered all along the banks. It is really sad that people have no consideration for mother nature anymore. Some people will just never get it, and until then, I guess all we can do is pack an extra bag and collect the trash we find and dispose of it properly.

Joe
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

tug
Angler

Post by tug » Fri May 11, 2007 9:54 pm

maybe they should put up a 4x8 sheet of plywood and have it say pick trash .this has been going on for many years in the 70's i use to see a native man {indian} in a canoe paddeling in a lake get out and have trash throwing at him a tear came down his face .it hurts me to see trash in are rivers lakes creeks ocean up in the mountains it hurts .i hate to see it i also pick up trash when i see it .i dont know people are just fuc>ing dumb .now i am worked up happy mothers to the moms good fishing weekend to sink the link and get the worm wet

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat May 12, 2007 9:37 am

i went up to dog lake yesterday. yea there was trash up there. looked like somebody had a beerfest up there there is about an 18 pack of beer cans at the bottom of the lake 10 ft out. caught some nice trout near the spot, maybe they like the trash???????

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”