trashing our lakes and streams

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
panfisher
Captain

trashing our lakes and streams

Post by panfisher » Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 am

i would like to know what can be done to curb the garbage around the lakes and streams that are seemingly getting worse even though there are some areas that have trash cans provided. how about a picture site of the trash being left on the shorelines. i like to walk and fish around the lakes and streams and get to see what sitters and boaters don't. any thoughts to this growing problem?

cole steffens
Petty Officer

RE:trashing our lakes and streams

Post by cole steffens » Mon May 07, 2007 2:45 pm

i would like to see more trash cans at boat launches and other public fishing areas and should be managed by the county or state and the garbage picked up on a weekly basis im tired of seeing overflowing trash cans and garbage all over the ground some people just dont have any respect for nature
if we are good to are lakes and streams they will be good to us

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Its frustrating to go to a lake, pond or any form of water and see paper, empty cans, and numerous other trash items just laying around on the beach, in the grass, and in the water. To be honest, I pick up trash when going from one place to another. If I go use the bathroom or on my way to the fishing spot. Where ever I am headed, I do what I can to clean up whatever is in my path. I feel at that point I am one more person making the effort to keep our state beautiful. Just imagine what it would be like if each one of us, that fishes at different lakes and rivers all around the state, what if we were to do the same thing? Would things start looking a little cleaner? I sure hope so. Also, me being the jerk I can be, I say something when I see someone throw something on the ground or in the water. If they want to get in my face, they can.

I just simply think we should all do all our effort to make this state more and more beautiful by doing the small things, as in pick up trash when we can.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 07, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon May 07, 2007 8:27 pm

i walked around the buena pond yesterday doing a little fishing and watch a group of about 7 adults, 5 teens, and 4 children, having a good time fishing, eating etc. would have been a perfect scene exept all the pop cans, chip bags, plastic store bags, floating in the water in front of them.(not to mention what was on the ground around them). commented to one of the adults that they shouldn't be throwing their trash in the lake and that they should pick it up. i guess they didn't know english because the trash was still in the water. (an hour later). funny thing though is that this pond has barrels for garbage and one was only about 150 feet away. i'm planning on taking pictures of the garbage and the culprits. be interesting to see what i come up with and how i can use the info. <')///<

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon May 07, 2007 10:05 pm

Unfortunately there are some people who just have no respect for the places they seem to enjoy going. So I have taken it upon myself to do what these people lack the brain power to do. As part of my fishing tackle arsonal I have added trash bags which I fill with these jerks trash and then properly dispose of. If all of us conscientious fisherman added a garbage bag to our takle box we would soon see clean recreation areas.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 09, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Call 911 or something when you see someone throwing their stuff all over the place...Report them or their license plates at a later time if you can't make the call right away
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon May 07, 2007 11:12 pm

The human being is inherently lazy. Many people think that "trash" is not their job. Someone else will pick it up. How many times have you pulled into a store parking lot, go to park in a spot and a shopping cart in sitting there? Most of the time the return bin for the carts is within 30 feet of where they left it.
The only way that lakes and other public areas are keep clean is when the community joins together and cleans it up themselves. The state agencies don't have the funds or manpower to do all of it. Clubs and organizations will often do a group project. The Marshall Community Coalition in Marshall, WA got together and cleaned up Fish Lake, just outside of Cheney. They did a marvelous job in revitalizing a run down county park.=d> But, someone had to get a group of people together to do it. We can all do our individual part in trying to keep it clean, however we will continue to be frustrated.](*,)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 07, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Law enforcement of "littering" is not there at all..They say its a $1000 dollar fine, but people still do it and its not getting enforced...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Tue May 08, 2007 12:27 am

I am a shoreline fisher and I am appaled by this as well, it is ridiculous. I have some connections that I am going to contact regarding community service probation violation work crews that are looking for work. I am going to see if the lakes is something they can help out with as this would be a great community service and it would keep the crews busy.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 08, 2007 12:41 am

Good plan.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue May 08, 2007 7:57 am

maybe they should take away the fishing liscence for a year when caught along with the fine?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm

I think the only thing to do is pick up after ourselves and others. I have a nasty habit of smoking and until a year ago I use to through most of my butts in the water not thinking anything of it. Then I read they find a lot of butts in the fish and not only that it takes 15 years before they are completely gone from the water. When I go camping I pick up EVERY piece of trash in the site on the way out even if it was there before I got there. Another thing I do is pick up all the fishing line laying around not only is it a B**CH when you get tangled in it, it is also terrible for any animal and at JOE'S they take old line so it dosnt hurt any animal

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 08, 2007 9:07 pm

panfisher wrote:maybe they should take away the fishing liscence for a year when caught along with the fine?
Nice thought, however the courts take away drivers licenses from people and they still drive!](*,)

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Tue May 08, 2007 11:44 pm

Fish Lake was horrible for trash this evening. I think with the nice weather there was a lot of people there earlier in the day. The trash cans were overflowing, but worse was the amount of beer bottles and cans everywhere spread throughout the park.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed May 09, 2007 12:41 am

That apparently is turning into the college party area. The Marshall Community Coalition normally controls the maintenance of the park, but I don't think they start until just before Memorial Day. I think that the park is posted "No Alcohol". If it is, then the sheriff should start paying more attention out there. It is technically a county park.
I'm going out there later in the week and will look it over. Several years back, it was the bikers that were the problem.

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 pm

bigastrout wrote:Unfortunately there are some people who just have no respect for the places they seem to enjoy going. So I have taken it upon myself to do what these people lack the brain power to do. As part of my fishing tackle arsonal I have added trash bags which I fill with these jerks trash and then properly dispose of. If all of us conscientious fisherman added a garbage bag to our takle box we would soon see clean recreation areas.
I do practically the same thing. As you well know by now, Banks is my favorite lake. Every time we pull up to a beach, one of my first things to do is walk around and pick up trash. It's amazing how many people leave trash on the beaches.

If I'm on the boat and I spot some garbage in the water, its the same thing. Stop and pick it up.

We can all wish for better/improved enforcement, but that's just not practical. I would rather the money go to education, transportation systems, healthcare and the like. Ignorant people will be ignorant. Look at people who have multiple DWIs/DUIs. It's up to the responsible people to look after the idiots.

Just my $0.02.

Tim

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 09, 2007 8:30 pm

tcb wrote:
bigastrout wrote:Unfortunately there are some people who just have no respect for the places they seem to enjoy going. So I have taken it upon myself to do what these people lack the brain power to do. As part of my fishing tackle arsonal I have added trash bags which I fill with these jerks trash and then properly dispose of. If all of us conscientious fisherman added a garbage bag to our takle box we would soon see clean recreation areas.
I do practically the same thing. As you well know by now, Banks is my favorite lake. Every time we pull up to a beach, one of my first things to do is walk around and pick up trash. It's amazing how many people leave trash on the beaches.

If I'm on the boat and I spot some garbage in the water, its the same thing. Stop and pick it up.

We can all wish for better/improved enforcement, but that's just not practical. I would rather the money go to education, transportation systems, healthcare and the like. Ignorant people will be ignorant. Look at people who have multiple DWIs/DUIs. It's up to the responsible people to look after the idiots.

Just my $0.02.

Tim

I never thought of it like that but thats a good way of looking at it

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu May 10, 2007 8:20 am

talked to couple who do alot of shore fishing, said they use to hand out trash bags to everyone that they walked passed. it worked to some degree, some said thanks and did just that and others were offended. they stopped handing them out when they found the bags used but still scattered around. the worst is the beer bottles that are broken aroud the pathways. lots of kids use these areas to swim and fish on summer vacations. i remember having the pleasure of stepping on some when i was a kid.

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:27 am

It's just as bad here in North Idaho also. Went and fished off the bank at one of my favorite spots one fall and the place was a mess. I went to my truck and got out some garbage bags and my boys and I cleaned it up. Went back a week later and it was just as messy as the first time. We cleaned it up again but have never went back.
This of cource is happening everywhere there is shoreline access. Alot of the places here are covered by the department of fish and game and not the sheriffs. I talked with one at Cocolalla Lake a couple years ago and he said they were just about to close the small campsite there cause they couldn't keep up cleaning the place up. Its just to bad people just can't pick up after themselfs. When all the shoreline access gets posted with no fishing signs, privite property, no trespassing, bank fishers can only wonder what happened. Please pack it in pack it out. [-o< Also thanks for all that do clean up after the trashdroppers to keep things green and neat. =d>

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Thu May 10, 2007 11:26 pm

panfisher wrote:talked to couple who do alot of shore fishing, said they use to hand out trash bags to everyone that they walked passed. it worked to some degree, some said thanks and did just that and others were offended. they stopped handing them out when they found the bags used but still scattered around. the worst is the beer bottles that are broken aroud the pathways. lots of kids use these areas to swim and fish on summer vacations. i remember having the pleasure of stepping on some when i was a kid.
I like that maybe some of the people who took those bags now bring bags of there own. Even if its only one person because that is what we need. Help! The fact here is that there are more people who either throw garbage on the ground or do nothing when they see it. Then there are picking it up. My thanks to that couple =d>
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 12, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”