Fishing and Hunting Fee Increases

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
hewesbob
Lieutenant

Fishing and Hunting Fee Increases

Post by hewesbob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:03 pm

A post came out today on Facebook from Northwest Sportsman magazine stating that Sen. Kirk Pearson is looking for public comment on proposed fee increases. I don't know how to share these post to this, I hope somebody smarter than me can do it because folks here need to be able to voice their opinion about this and maybe have it heard. Sen. Kirk Pearson (R-Monroe) is the chairman of the Senate Natural Resources and Parks Committee.and says he gets first look at new plans and budgets from the states Dept. of Fish and wildlife. He says" The costs are significant. Overall, recreational and commercial fishing license fees will increase by an average of 30 percent. Recreational licenses for saltwater salmon,freshwater trout,and shellfish license would increase from $55 to $75. Columbia and Snake river salmon and steelhead license will go from$38 to more$64. Saltwater salmon and sturgeon licenses from$30 to $55. An average angler could see fee costs increase by double or triple". He goes on to say "Hunters will pay for the new spending with fees that will increase by 10 percent on average. A migratory bird permit will go from$15 to $25. A deer,elk,bear and cougar big game hunting license will increase from $85 to $93". This guy is asking for public comment and I hope we can give him plenty of it. In my opinion we are not getting the service from fish and game that we are paying for now, more money isn't going to fix their problems. There were four letters links to this story, I read all four and there was not one single word mentioned about doing anything for Eastern Washington. Why in the world should we pay more for services that we are not getting now. When I first read this article I was about the fourth person to post a comment, within the next 20 mins. there were over 100 comment all against fee increases for various reason. When I tried to repost the article the comment would not repost. It's like this guy is asking for comments but wants to keep them private. I'm hoping that somebody that knows what they are doing can create a forum where everybody's voice can be heard on this issue.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Fishing and Hunting Fee Increases

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:51 pm

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/headlines/sen ... increases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shrimper
Angler

Post by Shrimper » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:33 pm

The fee increases are even more than outlined in the article.

Below is a link to a WDFW spreadsheet showing the increases? The biggest increases that stand out to me are the crab endorsement going from $8.75 to $17 and you will need to pay $10 for each species of fish on the catch card, If you plan on fishing for Salmon, Steelhead, Sturgeon, and Halibut that is an additional $40.

I paid $64.10 for what I wanted to fish for last year. With these proposed increases to fish for the same species I would pay $121.70, which is an increase of 90%.

Below in a link to the WDFW spreadsheet that outlines the fee increases.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildfuture/proposals ... oposal.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Looks like the freshwater license for me will be $5.50 more, but because I'm old, it'll go down slightly. Have to wait to see what all they decide.
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Shorter seasons, no seasons, fewer fish, fewer chances to fish and fewer places to fish - all for a lot more money.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:32 am

Larry3215 wrote:Shorter seasons, no seasons, fewer fish, fewer chances to fish and fewer places to fish - all for a lot more money.
+1

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Question: I was just examining the proposed increases and noticed the terms "Charter stamp" and "Guide stamp." Anybody tell me what those are for? I've only fished with a charter once in WA so far, but am sure I never bought, or was charged for a "charter stamp."

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:19 pm

I think those are for fishing guides and charter boat owners and/or the people working for them who help bring in fish for customers.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am

This is very serious and I suggest everyone email wdfw now and let them know how you feel about this. We can't just be pushed around and let them think it is ok. I for one will boycott this movement even if it means stop fishing as it will become cheaper to buy fish from stores then it would be for a "chance to catch one". I am very ticked off about this and hope you all feel the same way

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 am

riverhunter I also am very ticked off about this. I have been amazed with the lack of views and comment on this thread since I posted it. I kind of get the felling that folks think these increases are justified.The only way we can be heard is through emails, phone calls and boycott. If anybody has a better idea I for one am listening.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Maybe posting this forum topic on other forums like saltwater, riverfishing, crabbing, etc etc more ppl will take notice on what is trying to happen

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”