Alaskan Fishing Trip Summer 2014

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
strider43
Captain

Alaskan Fishing Trip Summer 2014

Post by strider43 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Greetings fellow fisherpeople,
I have been looking into taking a trip to Alaska to fish for Salmon [drool] this summer and have found to book a trip it needs to be party of two or more. There are some decent deals if there is serveral people wanting to book together. Is there anyone out there that has serious intrest in going to Alaska to fish this summer?
Thanks, Scott G

mizm05
Commander

Re: Alaskan Fishing Trip Summer 2014

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Funny you mention this. I've also been wanting to go over there and I was just looking around today to get some ideas. What do you consider a good deal? All of the rates I saw were astronomical. And the salmon out there don't seem all that much better than what we have out here. I just can't see myself dropping a grand to catch fish I could get here. I think driving out to the coast or OP can net you fish just as nice as what you'd find in Alaska.

That being said, I've never personally been to Alaska. Just going off what I've seen and heard online and in documentaries. Don't really know anybody from Alaska. Maybe the fish are more plentiful there? From what I've seen, our fish on the coastal rivers get just as big as theirs. Again, maybe I'm wrong on that?

My idea of a good trip is if we could find a cabin to rent by one of their known salmon rivers and just pay a local to show us where to fish and then we could take it from there. I don't need a boat trip.

Seriously, the rates on every site I've gone to so far are freakin ridiculous. Maybe it would be worth it if you live in Indiana and can only dream of catching quality salmon, but when we have monster fish in our own state, I can't see myself dropping that kind of coin. This is just my opinion.

Interested to see what kind of rates you've found and what it includes.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:15 am

Haha, yeah, you're wrong about our fish being just as good as Alaskan fish. Whole other category. My grandfather went on his dream trip there the year before his cancer finally killed him, he came back with a 76 lb and 88 lb king, and let hundreds of others go over a one week all-inclusive charter/Lodge. They do it right up there, and he had the time of his life.

We have nice fish down here, but not many, and not as big and mean.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 am

mizm05 wrote:Funny you mention this. I've also been wanting to go over there and I was just looking around today to get some ideas. What do you consider a good deal? All of the rates I saw were astronomical. And the salmon out there don't seem all that much better than what we have out here. I just can't see myself dropping a grand to catch fish I could get here. I think driving out to the coast or OP can net you fish just as nice as what you'd find in Alaska.

That being said, I've never personally been to Alaska. Just going off what I've seen and heard online and in documentaries. Don't really know anybody from Alaska. Maybe the fish are more plentiful there? From what I've seen, our fish on the coastal rivers get just as big as theirs. Again, maybe I'm wrong on that?

My idea of a good trip is if we could find a cabin to rent by one of their known salmon rivers and just pay a local to show us where to fish and then we could take it from there. I don't need a boat trip.

Seriously, the rates on every site I've gone to so far are freakin ridiculous. Maybe it would be worth it if you live in Indiana and can only dream of catching quality salmon, but when we have monster fish in our own state, I can't see myself dropping that kind of coin. This is just my opinion.

I don't need a boat trip either, I like the idea of a cabin close to the river then being shown where the good holes are a day or two then fishing from the bank on my own. And I have found that most of the prices are over the top for a working man. I don’t really have $10,000 for a fishing trip. The numbers of fish up there I think warrants a trip and the sizes can be a lot greater than what is found down here. Most of the rivers have large populations of Rainbows that feed on the Salmon eggs and these trout get very large. The problem lies in finding a cabin for rent that is not part of a resort on a river that is small enough to fish and that has a good run of fish.
I do work with guy who used to live up there and will ask him if he can show me where to go otherwise another coworker has been up with this outfit found at this link. http://www.lakemarie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Lake Marie is about a $1,000 a day for a week but they have two for the price of one special. Associated with lake Marie is To-toy-lon River Lodge, their prices are about $685.00 a day and I am trying to clarification if the 2 for 1 deal is on for 2014, their website indicates it was for last year. Check out the webpage, it looks like a cool trip with great fishing. And you can fish in front of the cabins when not on the water with a guide. http://www.lakemarie.com/To-toy-lonRiverLodge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found another “resort that is about $1,000 for the week, they supply housing and three days of guided fishing on the Kenai but it sounds a little lame. One of the reviews said they went out and anchored then plunked and waited for fish…….

http://1alaskaadventure.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rwl
Petty Officer

Post by rwl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:36 am

If alaska still rents the forest service cabins, those are an amazing deal. I've never done it because I've mainly gone up there with my wife and we don't have sufficient firepower to handle the brown bears. There is a forest service cabin midway down the float on the Situk R. in Yakutat which has an amazing silver run. I caught 40 in one morning on a guided float. I think there is another forest service cabin in the yakutat area that is a fly in on the Italio River.

There are great do it yourself opportunities on Prince of Wales Island where you can rent a skiff for around $100-250 a day and fish for silvers and halibut in the bays. Also for the budget minded, keep in mind that a lot of people have those Alaska Airlines companion fares were the second person flies for $100.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:19 am

if your thinking about going into the wilderness in Alaska, all I can say is you better be armed... I've been up to Alaska 4 times... one year for spring bear. twice for Salmon fishing. and the last time I let the wife pick the time frame that we went and there were no fish running... We Had family up there, so it was nice... Fishing the rivers, you are gonna be fishing with the bears... most fishermen keep a good distance and i never was the closest to the bears... So if your thinking of do a self guided type of trip... have a good time but pack some serious heat... minimum of a 44 mag... if not bigger... some guys carry a i shotgun or a carbine rifle...

perfect time to be looking at guides ... Sportsman show this week... can get some deals there , I would think...

rwl
Petty Officer

Post by rwl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am

I would mention that there are no brown bears on Prince of Wales Island, on the situk it is densely forested and people always use the cabin, but I would definitely want to be with someone who is an experienced hunter. The italio is right by the ocean and much more open, you can generally see the bears coming.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Dang. Even those prices are out of my current budget. But it does sound amazing. Someday...
strider43 wrote:
mizm05 wrote:Funny you mention this. I've also been wanting to go over there and I was just looking around today to get some ideas. What do you consider a good deal? All of the rates I saw were astronomical. And the salmon out there don't seem all that much better than what we have out here. I just can't see myself dropping a grand to catch fish I could get here. I think driving out to the coast or OP can net you fish just as nice as what you'd find in Alaska.

I don't need a boat trip either, I like the idea of a cabin close to the river then being shown where the good holes are a day or two then fishing from the bank on my own. And I have found that most of the prices are over the top for a working man. I don’t really have $10,000 for a fishing trip. The numbers of fish up there I think warrants a trip and the sizes can be a lot greater than what is found down here. Most of the rivers have large populations of Rainbows that feed on the Salmon eggs and these trout get very large. The problem lies in finding a cabin for rent that is not part of a resort on a river that is small enough to fish and that has a good run of fish.
I do work with guy who used to live up there and will ask him if he can show me where to go otherwise another coworker has been up with this outfit found at this link. http://www.lakemarie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Lake Marie is about a $1,000 a day for a week but they have two for the price of one special. Associated with lake Marie is To-toy-lon River Lodge, their prices are about $685.00 a day and I am trying to clarification if the 2 for 1 deal is on for 2014, their website indicates it was for last year. Check out the webpage, it looks like a cool trip with great fishing. And you can fish in front of the cabins when not on the water with a guide. http://www.lakemarie.com/To-toy-lonRiverLodge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found another “resort that is about $1,000 for the week, they supply housing and three days of guided fishing on the Kenai but it sounds a little lame. One of the reviews said they went out and anchored then plunked and waited for fish…….

http://1alaskaadventure.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Mordalphus wrote:Haha, yeah, you're wrong about our fish being just as good as Alaskan fish. Whole other category. My grandfather went on his dream trip there the year before his cancer finally killed him, he came back with a 76 lb and 88 lb king, and let hundreds of others go over a one week all-inclusive charter/Lodge. They do it right up there, and he had the time of his life.

Mordalphus i'll second that.. , You hit it on the nose. Alaska is nothing like Washington's coastal rivers. Hah ahaha You need to give it a shot.. The fish are incredible up there, strong fighting fish. When you can see a few hundred coho in a small eddy that would normally only hold 20 fish tops on Washington's coast and every fish in there is willing to in hail your eggs then I'll change my mind and that's on any given day during the season. Plus the average White fish goes 5 pounds and the arctic grayling get just as big.. No guides were needed, all i can say about Washington is the tough fishing has helped perfect my skills.
:salut:
Austin if you've got any pictures from that trip you should share them,

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 am

Weekend-warrior17 wrote:
Mordalphus wrote:Haha, yeah, you're wrong about our fish being just as good as Alaskan fish. Whole other category. My grandfather went on his dream trip there the year before his cancer finally killed him, he came back with a 76 lb and 88 lb king, and let hundreds of others go over a one week all-inclusive charter/Lodge. They do it right up there, and he had the time of his life.

Mordalphus i'll second that.. , You hit it on the nose. Alaska is nothing like Washington's coastal rivers. Hah ahaha You need to give it a shot.. The fish are incredible up there, strong fighting fish. When you can see a few hundred coho in a small eddy that would normally only hold 20 fish tops on Washington's coast and every fish in there is willing to in hail your eggs then I'll change my mind and that's on any given day during the season. Plus the average White fish goes 5 pounds and the arctic grayling get just as big.. No guides were needed, all i can say about Washington is the tough fishing has helped perfect my skills.
Weekend-warrior17 do you know where I could go up there and fish without a guide?

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:19 pm

strider43 wrote:
Weekend-warrior17 wrote:

Weekend-warrior17 do you know where I could go up there and fish without a guide?
I was in Unalakleet on a mission trip helping the locals, theirs a reason it was a mission trip i wouldn't try it on your own.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Weekend-warrior17 ,
Yes I get that as I would have no idea where the good holes are or which areas are more prone to have bears present. I have looked at a lot of places on the Kenai Peninsula. There are a lot places to rent and public fishing areas but I have heard that there is a good bit of combat fishing up there as well. I’m not going that far for that. I would really like to go remote and I know that needs a guide of some kind.
Thanks for all of the input!
Scott G

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”