Winter-Summer Run Metal Head Identification

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Winter-Summer Run Metal Head Identification

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:23 pm

So on another thread, Gringo said he caught 10# native winter run,
what are the differences between a summer run steel, and a winter run steel?
OTHER THEN THE TIME OF YEAR THEY RUN.
Last edited by Fish_Bait111397 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Winter-Summer Run Metal Head Identification

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Is one of them a 2 year cycle and the other a 4 year cycle? :scratch:

edit: or is that salmon?
Last edited by Amx on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:So on another thread, Gringo said he caught 10# native winter run,
Not a stupid question at all. In fact, the answer is really just what you said, the time of year they run or enter the river system. They both spawn in the spring, but one is in the system a lot longer then the other.

I guess you could say it is genetics. Summer run Steelhead continue to feed in the river for quite some time.

Both summer and winter run steel can return to the salt and then come back to the river the next year. The biggest Steel often have made the cycle a few times.

Now, I'm sure there is more to it then this, so I look forward to other answers as well.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Amx wrote:Is one of them a 2 year cycle and the other a 4 year cycle? :scratch:

edit: or is that salmon?
Pink Salmon run every odd year ('07,'09',and so on.)
Other salmon, run every year.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:So on another thread, Gringo said he caught 10# native winter run,
Not a stupid question at all. In fact, the answer is really just what you said, the time of year they run or enter the river system. They both spawn in the spring, but one is in the system a lot longer then the other.

I guess you could say it is genetics. Summer run Steelhead continue to feed in the river for quite some time.

Both summer and winter run steel can return to the salt and then come back to the river the next year. The biggest Steel often have made the cycle a few times.

Now, I'm sure there is more to it then this, so I look forward to other answers as well.

Correct, and it is possible to catch both summer runs and winter runs on the same river at the same time, if I'm not mistaken. Just to make things more interesting...

As to pink salmon, they do run every year, but for whatever reason the odd year runs are huge.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Not a stupid question at all FB. I don't know if there are any tell-tale physical characteristics that could determine a dime-bright winter from a dime-bright summer. If anybody does, speak up I'd like to learn something too. Steelhead have their spawning seasons (Summer & Winter), but some will hang out longer than others (I've caught summers in November too). I deduced it was a winter because it was red, in other words still had it's spawning colors, where the summer runs are still bright.
Last edited by Gringo Pescador on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:23 am

Can definitely catch both at same time. I did it a couple times on the Elochoman when fishing for winter runs. Think maybe December? Anyhow, definitely can happen. The Cow probably can too.:)

As far as diff between them not sure, guess I'll defer to others.#-o
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 am

Yea, the way you can tell is how far turned they are into their spawning colors. Also, summer runs tend to be more agile and aggressive, I've caught winter runs that made a couple half hearted runs and then rolled over on me, didn't even last five minutes, and I've hooked summer runs that on the same tackle took yards and yrads of line, charged at me, ran up and down three or for times, had to chase them from one hole to the next downstream, and the next one after that. They like the fresh water more than the winter runs is my guess.

Not a dumb question, but you'll know one when you see it. I've caught summer runs still in the river in december, they were just old a booty, but some of them get super pretty colors, and don't get moldy. Those are the fun ones.

Some rivers like the Cowlits get fish returning year round, the come and sit and wait for the spawn. Cowlits gets Early winters, A run, B run summer run, winter run. So the line really getgs drawn at how bright the fish is and what kind of mood it's in when you catch it.

A lot of the fun of summer runs is fishing light tackle in really clear water without needing neoprene, a parka, layers and gloves. YOu might need sunscreen.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks For The Information Guys !

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:42 pm

As far as physical characteristics go, winters tend to be more GREEN on the back, above the lateral line, and have a pink tint to the cheek as well as a more pronounced red band. When they are chrome they are a bit harder to discern, but I think summer look a bit different.

Summers are generally the distinct BLACK on WHITE hues when they enter the system.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Return to “The Pacific NW Fish ID Corner”