Can you Camp at Soda lake

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
GCB069
Petty Officer

Can you Camp at Soda lake

Post by GCB069 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 am

Can you Camp at Soda lake? By looking at Google Earth it looks like it.. antone know?

bob johansen
Commander

Re: Can you Camp at Soda lake

Post by bob johansen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 am

I haven't been there for some time but the last time I was there you could camp.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:02 am

How is the fishing at Soda Lake? What kind of fish? This is a year round lake?

fishslayer80
Petty Officer

Post by fishslayer80 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 am

You can camp at soda lake. Fishing for multi-species is slow but should start picking up as the water warms.
It is a year around lake.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 am

camping is availabe with a couple picnic tables also. As soon as the water starts running out of Potholes, big whitefish can be had with a fly and a maggot. They fight well and may be okay to eat smoked. We have caught them up to 4 pounds, fun on ultralight tackle. Water should be running anytime as they started up the irrigation canals.

fishiefishie
Angler

Post by fishiefishie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

Soda has been one of my favorite places at potholes area. i have gone and camped/fished every year sometimes twice a year. it used to be a pay box something like $5 per night you drop in the box and every night WDFW would come by and collect the money. last year in may i went and signs everywhere said "camping free soda lake campground will be permanently closed after oct. 2012" I asked around and was told it cost too much to clean up after the mess people were leaving and the porta-johns. this is a real sad i loved this place. let me know if your out that way if they changed this as i will be back if they did.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am

Lots of good fishing opportunities at many of the lakes, Soda has some great carp action if I remember right, might have been Snow or Goose. I prefer to camp at a nearby motel and make day trips in, the ground is so darn hard, with potable water in short supply..... Most of the lakes are fun for a little fly action too as from what I've been told the have a sort rotating stocking schedule, some in the spring, some in the fall and well you get the idea. Make sure you have your WDFW parking pass, it's all that's required. In my trip through last year I didn't see any pay boxes or organized camping spots but lots of people have been camping by the lakes, you can tell by the garbage and the trucks full of garbage we hauled out.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas ... ep%20Lakes
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

backwater
Angler

Post by backwater » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 am

I was there mid-late August and their is no camping in there now :(

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”