peninsula fish + tent combo

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
Dustin07
Commodore

peninsula fish + tent combo

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 pm

would anyone be willing to share with me a general region where there might be some spring fishing and tenting available on the peninsula? I have very little experience out there but my buddy and I are trying to plan a combo hike + fish + tent trip... and we have no idea where to go.... :-({|=

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: peninsula fish + tent combo

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Hope your tent is VERY waterproof for a trip to the o.p. during rainy season... Some of the coastal rivers are open to the end of april for steelhead fishing and can produce some rather large native fish. there is a few lakes around but with limited shore fishing.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selected ... l%20kindly
http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/upload/mora.pdf

few links to camping sights.
and as far as hiking Hurricane ridge in Port angeles has some nice hiking. and someone in forks could probably give you a trail map of the 10 billion trails there is around that area

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm

The bogachiel, hoh and queets rivers are all fantastic winter steelhead rivers for the big natives. I will be out there guiding a lot for them, they are pretty much the top fish of the year for me. All three have trails that access the upper portions of the rivers where you will find miles of river to fish. Of course there won't be any hatchery fish to play with, so you won't be keeping anything, but that's not the point. There are some hike in camps up there on the respective trails, although be acreful on the queets trail, if the water goes up while you're down it, you may get stuck, there is a river crossing that you have to make while you're out. There will be plenty of days with nice sunshine to make tent camping worth while and not wet. I often camp out there while I fish. WTA has a lot of the hikes described and gives you access points and trail condition reports. Good luck and have fun, I know I will. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:10 am

awesome, thanks for getting me started guys I really appreciate it! I have heard that those peninsula steelies are huge. catch and release isn't too big a deal since I bass fish a lot, although it is true when you are camping sometimes its nice to catch something for dinner. for a short weekend trip its just as easy to pack food though.

at this point, I'm just happy to get out of the house as soon as possible, lol.

is there a better month between now and april that you would recommend? or just anytime we can get out..?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 am

Remind me in the Summer months when its 85 during the day and 60-70 in the evening. Hahaha. The OP is rough camping during winter/spring months.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 am

honestly I think I've camped in rain more than anything in this state. the conditions aren't ideal, but I need to get out of the house... finished my schooling last fall and that was about 3 years of no adventures. 2013 i plan to go crazy. [thumbup]

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

If you want to try something that may be on the tamer side, you could consider Lake Leland just south of where HWY 101 meets HWY 104. There is a campsite right beside it. I have never used the campsite but it is relatively small. Check to see when it is open. The lake is well stocked with nice sized rainbows and is open all year. The dock is easily accessible, close to the campsite, and of reasonable size. A plus is that rainbow fishing from that dock can be quite productive. The lake does have bass, perch and crappie, but beach access, except around the public access area, is fairly limited. This area though is large enough so that you could quite easily fish and have no one else within casting distance, even on a busy summer day. Good luck.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 am

thanks David, really appreciate that! fishing is probably the most important part of the trip for us, but we are really hoping for a hike as well. makes us feel tougher if we have to carry our kitchen sink and portable heaters and case of diet pepsi a couple miles.... =D> lol

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Im not just blameing my age but I usually find a lesser expensive motel near where Im fishing. For me a bathroom is a must. A small kichenette is also nice. It dosent have to be fancy ,it just needs a few ammenities for comfort and dryness. If youre out fishing and allready being wet then its nice to have a place to dry off. Sometimes camping the spring in the Nothwest can be a wet one.Where ever you go and campout have a great time.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 pm

lol the last three years I did only motels and boycotted any and all tenting. I had decided I had enough cold tents. especially have hiking 10 miles a day sweating like crazy looking for deer. a shower and a warm bed were a must.

I just happen to get the backpacking bug again after a few years hiatus and want to explore new land :)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Head up Hurricane and walk into Grand and Moose lake, about 3 or so miles. Streams and lakes full of cutts. Pretty much pick any of the lakes up out of PA and you're in for some beautiful country. Get out the whip stick and practice up nothing better than a trout on the fly.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 pm

thanks Bodo! right now that is definitely a contender. I haven't busted the fly rod out in over a year and I know its been longer for my brother.

Do you guys know anything about the camping at Shi Shi Beach?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Very popular.........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Read this forum;

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 am

winner winner chicken dinner =D> #-o lol

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”