forest service roads camping

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
fisherstorms
Petty Officer

forest service roads camping

Post by fisherstorms » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 am

Me and some buddies are looking to do an end of summer camping trip.. Only problem is I'm not to sure where to go. We want to go east where its warmer and be next to a lake so I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of some good forest service roads or other free camping next to any lakes? Help would be greatly appreciated. We are going sept 20-23rd.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: forest service roads camping

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 am

Check out the Salmon La Sac area off of Interstate 90. Go to Google maps and search the map using "Salmon La Sac"
The exit from I-90 is exit 80, this is about 25 min. from the Snoqualmie pass (to the exit anyway)

You can look at the Google map image... and then mag (out) to see where you are in relationship to I-90. It is a very beautiful area that is close proximity to Seattle. I go there all the time. My friend just called me from there this morning. They went way up river on the Upper Cle Elum river... spent night in roughed in camp spots, caught a a lot of trout on the fly rod. Not big fish in streams like that, but active fighters and plentiful.
You also have Cooper lake which is right there.. You can Google map or You tube that place. Alpine lake, great for canoeing, kayaking, no gas motrs. Tons of places in general to throw a tent. Cle Elum river camp ground is on the very top end of lake Cle elum... same area. Very nice car camp spots. The lake is almost completely done with it's draining... (dam) So very low. Makes for some cool exploration of the lake. Lots of large mud flats with stumps everywhere. Shallow flats of water that might be a little warmer to mess around in. I saw people carrying on in the shallows earier this week.
If you get to fish.... put in a report, or PM me, and let me know what you did.
check out the fly fishing shop in Cle Elum, the main strip, for any info/flies.

fisherstorms
Petty Officer

Post by fisherstorms » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks quadfather good info. I should have put that I'm looking to go a little more east then that (more like an hour and a half- 2 hour drive) towards or past ellensburg.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:06 am

all around potholes area is camping with your game dept parking pass

fisherstorms
Petty Officer

Post by fisherstorms » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 am

Game dept pass?

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 am

The rearview mirror hanger you get with your fishing license for parking on game dept land, or a discover pass.

fisherstorms
Petty Officer

Post by fisherstorms » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 am

Ok ya I have that. Where would I find these camping areas that your speaking of? Boat access?

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 am

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/water_access/county/Grant/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the site name and it will tell you if you can camp. The Lind Coulee arm has a lot. Also look at some of the seep lakes.

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”