I don't really want to drive all the way to Conconully again...

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
bkawafishin
Petty Officer

I don't really want to drive all the way to Conconully again...

Post by bkawafishin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 pm

So here's the scenario: My extended family is planning on a week long camping trip in a couple weeks and I'm pretty sure they are going to Conconully again. They go there every time, not because we love it so much, but because it's where we've always gone and nobody really has any idea where else to go. I will be visiting over the weekend since I have to work during the week, but not really looking forward driving so far for an overnighter.

The problem is we need to have decent toilet and shower facilities (Aunts won't go to anywhere that does not have them), and there needs to be a lake (or some kind of body of water) and a place to launch my uncles' Livingstons (I would guess they are about 12'-15'). Conconully has both of these.

Is there somewhere else anyone here can recommend that might be a tad bit closer? Someone at work mentioned "sun lakes", is that a decent place? Or should I start downloading music and podcasts to keep me entertained on the long trek over to Conconully?

Or, if there is another website i can use to research, I would appreciate just a point in the right direction.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:I don't really want to drive all the way to Conconully again...

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 pm

whatchya gonna be fishing for?

Try Potholes resev. Mardon's or the fed. camp grounds. Mardon's has resturant, toilets, a store, motel, and campsites all under trees. Good launch and great docks. Also a couple gas pumps.
Tom.

Interests: living

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:00 am

I don't know if you can see this blog post by rseas. http://www.washingtonlakes.com/BlogPost.aspx?bpid=207 But he caught trout, walleye, large and small mouth bass there in Sept last year. BUT I don't think it is closer than Conconully. Does everyone live in Seattle? Maybe Silver lake in Cowlitz county or Mayfield or Riffe lake they have state parks?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks for the help folks! I believe we will be going to the potholes instead. Thanks again!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Mineral Lake is nice. Alder lake is nice. Both in Thurston County. On the East side there are many many lakes. Banks lake has numerous nice campgrounds with toilets/showers.Especially Steamboat Rock. Sun Lakes is really nice. Both these campgrounds are packed all summer long. On this side there is also Deception Pass Campgrounds with loads of good camping. There is Cranberry Lake right there. Campbell Lake right down the road.It has awesome salt and freshwater fishing. Most Federal and or state campgrounds have nice bathrooms with showers. The eastside will give you better weather.
Up in the Leavenworth area there are loads of campgrounds all the way up Icicle creek road. Fish lake is near there. Look up campgrounds on the Nat Park site.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Will be heading to Conconully and Palmer lakes this weekend. I remember camping at Concoully when I was a kid with the family- good memories. Worth the long drive IMO. But just for a one-nighter, it is quite the drive.

Potholes is not super close either, but will be a nice change of scenery for ya.

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”