Any good campsites between Tacoma and Mt. Rainier??

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Any good campsites between Tacoma and Mt. Rainier??

Post by soulfishhawk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:24 pm

My family and I want to find a place to camp w/fishing from a dock, from shore, and maybe even boat rentals. We are thinking somewhere between say the Roy Y down in Tacoma and Mt. Rainier. We will be going July 22-24. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if there's any places where you can camp right next to the lake. We prefer Lake fishing only, and if there IS a place right on the water, where we can wake up and cast right out from our site, bonus. We did Lk. Sylvia last year, it was fun, but not much to do our there, and we just wanted to try something new and down south towards Mt. Rainier. Thanks
Last edited by soulfishhawk on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Any good campsites between Tacoma and Mt. Rainier??

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Try Offut Lake Resort. They are SE of Oly
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:29 pm

We love Offut for fishing, just not so much for camping.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Check out Silver lake resort, (thurston or Piecrce county?, not sure.) Most people swear by the resort, docks, boat rentals etc. I think there is camping, but somebody else chime in please.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:00 pm

There is camping there. My ex GF loves to camp there and there was GREAT fishing from the dock there last year. Small, privately owned campground.
Lee

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 pm

2 campgrounds on Lake Tanwax. Camp Lakeview (Camping, dock no boat rentals) and Rainbow campground (dock, camping, and boat rentals). Silver Lake (Pierce County) has a camping area, dock, and boat rentals or did have.

There are some campgrounds on Alder Lake
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:22 pm

The lakes mentioned above are great.
Alder Lake is another great option but doesn't have boat rentals.

Here is a copy/paste from another thread I typed earlier.
The lake level is now full,so disregard that part.

The lakes listed by others are excellent,if I was to toss in another option,it would be Alder Lake.
This time of the year isn't to great,they lower the lake for flood control but from mid spring to fall,the lake is at full pool
and offers some excellent fishing for kokes,trout,large and smallmouth bass. You can camp and moor at the Alder Lake campground on the west end(near the dam) this campground is operated by Tacoma Power,along with Rocky Point,a few miles further east. If my memory serves me right,I believe boat mooring is operated on a "first come,first served"basis.
If you have family and/or friends and want to take a break from fishing,checkout the Mount Rainier Scenic Railway in Elbe.
If your into off roading,there is also the Elbe Hills ORV Trails located between Elbe and Ashford.

As jens stated,Riffe is another one. I really enjoy camping at Taidnapam(east end of the lake) There is also the Mossyrock
campground. Both are also operated by Tacoma Power,clean and well maintained but I don't care for camping at Mossyrock,the tent sites are WAY to close together. Basically,if your neighbor snors or eats some beans....you will know.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:54 am

Riffe lake is a great place to go, alder lake too. I fish riffe lake in my seahawk 400, and it works great, even on the bigger lakes. And it only cost me 35 dollars. Riffe lake is fun because it has silvers, which get big and are tasty!

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, we will def. look into them, and try to get crackin on reserving a spot.
Fish Lake in June will be killer of course, after fishing there, I can't imagine another place w/fishing at that level.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 am

Silver Lake is a nice little place with boat rentals, has pretty much everything you need.

We like Alder Lake too, LOTS of shore access, with a small dock to fish off of too. Doesn't have the amenities Silver Lake does but it's a really nice campground, has a small store out on the highway with limited hours.

I'd go make a daytrip from each place and see what you think of each.

There's also Tanwax but I don't know much about it

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”