Alder Lake Camping

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Alder Lake Camping

Post by Cozmo4196 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm looking for some information on Alder Lake. Was planning on taking my small aluminum boat down with a few buddies for Memorial Day Weekend, part my truck and trailer in an available campsite and try tofind our own rural place to camp across the lake. Only problem is none of us have ever been to this lake and don't know if this is even a possibility. Anyone familiar with this lake and have advice or experience with this style of camping?

Thanks in advance!

JAYDOG
Petty Officer

Re: Alder Lake Camping

Post by JAYDOG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Good luck with finding an available campsite at the Tacoma power parks on a holiday weekend, however if you do there are islands in alder that look to have areas that people have camped at, but I don't know the legality of it. I can assure you though that the Sheriffs Dept. will be on the lake. I would recommend calling TPP to get further info. Good Luck, have fun, Be safe.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

I can tell you this.. Alder lake on Memorial day weekend will be loud... Lots of jet boats... and wake board boats... there are a couple of campgrounds at the lake, but all of them take reservations at that time of year... you'll be damn lucky to get a spot this close to the holiday... i have never heard to much about the fishing there either...

https://www.mytpu.org/tacomapower/parks ... lake-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and there is also a road that will get you to the south side of the lake... just look at google maps...

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 pm

JAYDOG wrote:Good luck with finding an available campsite at the Tacoma power parks on a holiday weekend, however if you do there are islands in alder that look to have areas that people have camped at, but I don't know the legality of it. I can assure you though that the Sheriffs Dept. will be on the lake. I would recommend calling TPP to get further info. Good Luck, have fun, Be safe.
I'm not sure where you'd park your rig and trailer. I've thought about dropping some crawdad traps overnight and doing some catfishing but short of renting a camp site I'm not sure where you'd park. The boat launch parking lot is gated and closed nightly. Not sure how they'd handle some rig being parked there after hours.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 am

My map shows it all is City of Tacoma land. Above that is timber Co. or other private. You would need to talk to Tacoma utilitys to find out it they will let you camp or park overnight.

This might help.
https://www.mytpu.org/tacomapower/parks ... lake-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for all the information. We will definitely NOT being going to Alder Lake for Memorial Day Weekend.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Last time I was on that road on the south side of the lake was about 20 years ago and at that time you'd need a serious mudding machine to make it through the mud holes in the road. Pretty sure it was a Forest Service road

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”