Eastern wa spot

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
rl206
Commander

Eastern wa spot

Post by rl206 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:05 am

Hi guys, i have been going to potholes for years now and was looking on google maps for a place to fish along the way. I saw some lakes right outside of Quincy on the east side of the vantage bridge. I was totally unaware of these lakes until now and was wondering if anyone has camped there before or if overnight parking is allowed.
the fishing reports seem hit and miss, but was considering giving it a try. there is a report about musky or pike in the evergreen res. can anyone vouch for that?

gpc
Admiral

RE:Eastern wa spot

Post by gpc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Yup free camping and some decent lake side spots. Quincy has a little of everything panfish, bass, walleye, muskie and some selective gear trout lakes. The main draw is the March 1st opening trout lakes. There are 5 main lakes and a ton of small hike in lakes.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Sweet! thanks alot, thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
By chance, are you aware of how abundant the muskie are?
I am planning on float tubing in these lakes and have always heard they can cause problems?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:56 pm

I know they plant it annually, or close to it. I have looked for them and threw some plugs trying to get a follower w/o any luck but that didnt surprise me. Try asking around in the muskie forum. I know float tubers do well in Stan Coffin lake for panfish and bass and if you dont mind a 1 mile hike they (float tubers) kill the trout at Dusty lake, both lakes are a part of the Quincy area lakes.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 am

Thank you for the info, I have not caught a musky before, so i might look into it

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 pm

The area is called the Quincy Lakes and includes Evergreen Reservoir, Burke, Quincy and Stan Coffin lakes. Evergreen is the largest and has Musky, Walleye, and bass both SM and LM. Burke has only trout, muddy yucky tasting trout so we just C&R if we fish it. Quincy and Stan Coffin are the two northern most lakes and are fairly shallow. Don't fish them much.

The road in from the south is closed for the season for some reason. This is the first I have seen this in over 30 years of fishing over there, you have to come in from the northern end of the lakes. There is camping in the area but they are closing down some of it due to problems with people trashing the place.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:19 pm

thanks, i was wondering about depth, it looked shallow and weeds arent fun at all.
That sucks people dont pick up after themselves, i hate that
Evergreen looks like the best choice,
P.S. Does anyone think i would have any physical problems with musky in a float tube?

silverking0
Angler

Post by silverking0 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 pm

I used to fish Evergreen Res. and the whole Quincy lakes chain. Evergreen has bass walleye tigermusky brownbullhead/catfish and used to have loads of perch that we would catch every year after school let out between my friends and I we would catch over a hundred perch a day. quit doing that though too many hours spent filleting so I stop at 15 now makes for 2 good meals. The south entrance was closed due to gang activity/vandalism thus one way in one way out. The good thing about the float tube is you can fish all the lakes there. The only problem with the musky I could see is them wrapping arround your legs and snapping you off. Best part is FREE CAMPING there are only vault toilets there too. H lake is a great small lake for bass. Weeds might be a problem on some of the lakes too. The best camping spots are any where you can find shade trees.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 pm

rl206 wrote: P.S. Does anyone think i would have any physical problems with musky in a float tube?
LOL!!:cheers: :cheers: I don't fish for Musky,, but I just liked what you said. Go for it! If you die by Musky.... be proud!:safe: I'm throwing the condom on for float tube safety.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 am

More power to you ifin you hook a musky and it takes you for a ride. I had a skate take me for a ride when I lived on Whidbey.I was in a lil life raft.Those kinda things make for a great campfire story.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Regarding Evergreen and tiger muskies, it was just recently planted. See the following link: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... plant.aspx

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:38 pm

hahaha thanks guys
yeah it would be nuts but would definately be interesting
thanks again for the input!

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”