Great Topic

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Great Topic

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:20 am

I collect older gear also.I have a few old mother of pearl Canadian wobblers with the red dot.Old polar bear coho flys.Its funny they worked great back then and I still use alot of them today.
I always thought that in a state like ours as big as fishing and hunting is there should be a sportsman museum.Showing older gear from yesteryears plus hunting traps and older guns.Maybe something in the future.It would even be fun to have gear collecting shows where we could trade .Its a great way to try new stuff.Im getting my camera back soon and will snap pics of some older gear and show on here.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

sanfrandan
Petty Officer

RE:Great Topic

Post by sanfrandan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:29 pm

I am putting about a dozen old wooden lures on ebay in the next couple of days. I'm not sure what they are so if anyone wants to look my sellers name is sanfrandan. hope all you fishing nuts like me enjoy the pic's.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 am

:fish: I was just browsing around and just came across this topic....I have been collecting fishing stuff for years...Mostly odds and ends.... Like rod and reel combo's like hurd supercasters and regular casters, gentleman streamliners etc and weird gear like a belly reel and self propelled bobbers and lot's of old stuff. I like to use the old gear not just look at it... I have an old Sears 12' boat with a Sears trolling motor all about 30-40 years old.... It all works great....I hate to use some of the stuff like the Bamboo Poles and old wooden lures and nice spinners from the 20's. I always think about breaking or loosing something that is hard to replace.

Good luck to all you collectors and if you want to sell something just PM me and I'll be happy to price it or possibly purchase it....Again Good Luck!,Steve:fish:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 am

here are some lures i picked up at a yard sale for 5 bux and put them into a shadow box they are some classics... i think:scratch: what do u guys think
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 pm

I hope youre not saying those lures and things are outdated I use quite a few of those items still today.Now I feel older.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 pm

christopherbeebe wrote:Image

here are some lures i picked up at a yard sale for 5 bux and put them into a shadow box they are some classics... i think:scratch: what do u guys think
Hi.. The lures you got are really not worth much but to put them in a shadow box. Those small 3" or so jointed lures are called L&S Bass Masters Originally called LeMasters Shiner Minnows from H.A. LeMaster of Bradley Ill ...1939 ira Yours I believe are from the 50-60's....They are not really collectable by the masses unless they are made of wood and in "mint with the box condition" . The big plug is from the Pacific N.W and could still be used.....Fish it deep and slow behind a flasher for kings. Keep finding some old lures to add to that box.....Maybe a killer lure that works for you or the one that caught the "big one" can go in the center ......You can buy shadow boxes at the craft stores and paint or stain them..... Keep looking for old lures and who knows you might find a reall keeper. Good luck on the hunt, .... BTW, just a note ...All newer L&S Lures have life-like eyes with industructable plastic bodies and the finest of imported hooks. Some people collect just the L&S Lure. You got a start and they won't break your bank acct.... I like to collect stuff that is cheap and weird... Have a good time collecting, Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:07 pm

racfish wrote:I hope youre not saying those lures and things are outdated I use quite a few of those items still today.Now I feel older.
OH NO!!! Never out dated.... I always use the older stuff and do quite well with them.... One thing about garage-sale lures is they are always cheaper than the store bought... Go use the lures and have fun...Steve :-)

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm

i like collecting the smallest of the L&S lures (flyrod size) I bought about 100 newer ones from a seller on ebay of varios colors, and have many from estate/yard sales. they are great for panfishing on a lite spinning outfit. most of my fishing gear is in the lite to ultra lite stuff, the old works just as well as the new. i have had many wooden lures that went to that big tackle box in the sky from over use on pike in minnesota. the stuff i don't use i stick in big old canning jars and have them on shelves and desks around the house so they can be seen, i also have many hanging from the top of lamp shades.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm

We need a Northwest Fishing and Hunting Museum.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 am

I found a fishing museum on Granville Island in British Columbia.... Nice website with lot's of pictures... Go to this place for vintage fishing items. http://66.51.163.9/ It would be a nice stop off when traveling B.C.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 am

It is to bad that it now appears the museum is closed?
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:02 am

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:It is to bad that it now appears the museum is closed?
Once posted on the web.... it stays. Oh well ...nice site to look at. I tried, Steve

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:42 am

If you want to take a trip down fishing lure history ,you got to go to Lincs on Rainier and Main St. They have a plethera of old fishing gear.I love that store just because all of the vintage gear.Its a must see.Tell the owners Ralphie sent you in.They have all those old salmon plugs,bass plugs,everything.