Old bamboo fly rod and other old schools

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
FlyBassFisherman253
Angler

Old bamboo fly rod and other old schools

Post by FlyBassFisherman253 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

I recently found in my garage one some of my grandpas old rods( isn't it always the grandpas that leave you the best stuff !) anyway I came upon a solid round short container. Next to it was the lower handle assembly part of an old bamboo rod so I open the container and comes out the rest of the well maintained rod. It looks like my grandpa didn't use it much after he stored it away. Im really not too sure with the value of something like this but anybody can shoot me some thoughts on what the modern average bamboo fly rod costs. Also i found a few old Kennewick rods from the 70's or 80's, along with two brands of rods I never heard of; Golden Gate rods and Penguin "executive series" rod. Thanks folks. Catch a good one !

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: Old bamboo fly rod and other old schools

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Great find. The price of a bamboo rod varies greatly. About a dozen years ago a Heddon fly rod sold at auction for about $25K as I recall. I had a no name (cheap) brand that had no value at all.

Right now I have a super good flyrod that my wife found at a garage sale, structurally excellent, but the name, the eyes, the ...... are all warn badly. Most of the snake eyes are missing. I will restore it, but because the name is missing on the Rod Maker, it will be worth whatever I put into it.

Today a quality bamboo rod, say an Orvis, might sell for $700.

The price all depends on the name of the maker, the age of the rod, the condition of the rod, and all of these things are very important. There were a lot of no-name makers in the day, a lot of conditions, etc.

IF you can read the name of the Rod Maker, post it. Any other information on the handle will help as well. For example, older rods were not rated by a WF-X rating, but something like a H-C-H rating.

The more information you can give us, the closer we can get to a real value.