Paid $10 for some real old fishing meatstick rods and reels today.

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
knotabassturd
Captain

Paid $10 for some real old fishing meatstick rods and reels today.

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Three of them, they are not worth anything as far as marketability but worth buying in hopes of using for my wife and daughter next year for salmon (and maybe me) :)
I'll probably use one for the pinks off the pier. Might even be able to land one of those seals LOL (these are true meat sticks).

Was surprised the rods could be taken apart into their 2 pieces and therefore think I can do a little cleaning and get them working as meat rods/pool cues as long as they aren't brittle. I tried bending them a bit and they seemed still flexible (no cracking sounds) enough to hold up to fishing. Zero sensitivity though, kinda the opposite of a noodle rod.

A fair amount of corrosion on the reels, there were 2 old Penn reels and an old spinning reel.
Maybe I'll take a couple pics this weekend to see if anyone has some simple suggestions to get the rods (and reels) up to running (or at least fishing condition) condition.
Figured I could at least wipe them down a bit and use some WD-40 to loosen things up a little.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

tnj8222
Admiral

RE:Paid $10 for some real old fishing meatstick rods and reels today.

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Sounds like the seller scored lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:51 am

tnj8222 wrote:Sounds like the seller scored lol.
LOL you got that right but for $10 and looking at having something potentially uh functional[blush] ? I said OK after driving to get them. Gotta be the ugliest gear I've seen in awhile. 2 rods (or I should probably call them poles, they aint rods) have solid wood butts. I'm hoping these will be emergency backup 'poles' :-" and can work on finding a good deal on better quality now that I got the 'backup' stuff taken care of for $10.

OK here is what I mean (I may have a bit o' work to do :-& :-$- in the meantime laugh if U see me using one of these on the water #-o afterall I gotta test them before letting wife and daughter use them#-o ).

Ya ya, I'll have all 3 of us fishin' Loomis or at least Lami one day.

Not any time soon though LOL.[blink] If nothing else I'm giving you guys a good laugh:cheers:

Oh and a disclaimer- I am not responsible for anyone gettin' ill after looking at these pics heh heh:-" :
Attachments
rode.jpg
rode.jpg (52.85 KiB) Viewed 6706 times
reele.jpg
reele.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 6710 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am

Hey knot! After looking at those pics, I realized I have a bunch of cra. err "quality equipment" I would be willing to sell you for a bargain price:-"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Hey knot! After looking at those pics, I realized I have a bunch of cra. err "quality equipment" I would be willing to sell you for a bargain price:-"
My inbox will probably be filling up.#-o

Yep that stuff was/is nasty. I just MIGHT bring one of the meat 'poles' down to the river cuz I gotta see how the 'action' is on it[blink] [scared] [omg] . Got it cleaned up just a little today.

I think even an angry chum would have a hard time getting a 'hit' to travel to the tip LOL. Makes a great piece of defense equipment though in a combat fishery. Would double up well as a martial arts tool :spiderman

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:06 pm

10 bucks ain't to bad. If nothing else, if you have a fishing collection they will look cool hanging on the wall. I have a bunch of old rods on my wall that I know are not worth the effort it took to put them up there, but they look damn cool.[cool] Especially if they are roughed up, they just look used and weathered that way. You can only imagine what kinds of fish those rods might have tangled with in the past. But, hell I also may just be a pesamist[flapper] (if thats how you spell it?).
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:05 am

Take them down to the flea market, put a price of $100 on them and some California yuppie transplant will buy them, and call them "wall art".
That would be the biggest sucker caught on a pole.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:43 pm

reelman wrote:Take them down to the flea market, put a price of $100 on them and some California yuppie transplant will buy them, and call them "wall art".
That would be the biggest sucker caught on a pole.
LOL. Not a bad idea. "Antiques" "Vintage" #-o

No I want to catch fish with these. They'll be put to use next year probably off Dash pt pier for pinks :cheers:

This year I feel things may be winding down for me fishing wise. Maybe a steelhead trip here or there (NOT with this gear though LOL) or a quickie river trip to Green if water is down and fish are stacked. Otherwise have other priorities for now.

Thanx for the idea though, maybe I'll take pics with salmon next year to prove their worth and work the Cali yuppie angle you mention LOL:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:47 pm

that penn reel will clean up nice and shiny. picked one up that looked like that at a garage sale a few years ago. couple of hours of elbow grease later, it was beautiful

don't expect to cast with it though--not made for casting

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:that penn reel will clean up nice and shiny. picked one up that looked like that at a garage sale a few years ago. couple of hours of elbow grease later, it was beautiful

don't expect to cast with it though--not made for casting
Ya I got it cleaned up and used a little WD-40 too to keep things moving. It works fairly well, but as you said these old reels aren't for casting (they are made in USA:cheers:). Plus some of the chrome parts have a little tarnish in spots from the corrosion that was on there probably for awhile. Can tel lthe guy that owned them years ago took care of them, although it also looks like they went untouched i na garage for about 10 years... Would be good for the salt in a boat maybe trolling, mooching, or off downrigger :cheers:.

Maybe one of these days I can talk my wife into taking up a friend invite on fishing Bajo Reef off Nootka Sound July/Aug. The reels would probably work well for what he's doing. He got a couple 30+ pounders chinook (tyee- although not caught under official tyee guidelines) out there this year.
And the hali can get pretty big too.
Ooooooo that would be fun[-o< [-o< .
Darn loooong ways away though plus the ferry ride....
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:16 pm

You can cast them but not without the help of a 4-6oz banana weight and your thumb on the spool. But you will, on occasion, experience the worst backlash you've ever seen.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:45 pm

Splitshot wrote: You can cast them but not without the help of a 4-6oz banana weight and your thumb on the spool. But you will, on occasion, experience the worst backlash you've ever seen.
On occassion? You haven't seen me with a casting reel LOL. Would take me less than 10 casts with that big old thing and 6 ounces of lead...#-o

I could probably cast further casting the old fly line on that short classic fly rod and reel you have:)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:32 pm

You might want to start with an 8oz. ;)

There's nothing like the sound of the drag clicking on an old Penn.
It reminds me of captain Quint fishing for Jaws. :)
Attachments
penn209.jpg
penn209.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 6584 times

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 am

knotabassturd wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:Sounds like the seller scored lol.
LOL you got that right but for $10 and looking at having something potentially uh functional[blush] ? I said OK after driving to get them. Gotta be the ugliest gear I've seen in awhile. 2 rods (or I should probably call them poles, they aint rods) have solid wood butts. I'm hoping these will be emergency backup 'poles' :-" and can work on finding a good deal on better quality now that I got the 'backup' stuff taken care of for $10.

OK here is what I mean (I may have a bit o' work to do :-& :-$- in the meantime laugh if U see me using one of these on the water #-o afterall I gotta test them before letting wife and daughter use them#-o ).

Ya ya, I'll have all 3 of us fishin' Loomis or at least Lami one day.

Not any time soon though LOL.[blink] If nothing else I'm giving you guys a good laugh:cheers:

Oh and a disclaimer- I am not responsible for anyone gettin' ill after looking at these pics heh heh:-" :
if im looking at the pic right, i have the same rod and reel at my grandfathers house. Never used them though.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 pm

[quote="Splitshot"]
You might want to start with an 8oz. ]

LOl I have heard of "Zebco screamer!" before on the river but as you mention from the Jaws analogy the zziiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggggg that Penn would put out throwing a chunk of lead would almost need earplugs I'm guessing.:cyclops:

fish bait no idea of your taste for fish gear but at your age if your grandfather had one like that it might be worth keeping safe and in good condiiton if it has a wood handle/penn reel combo as long as it is OK with the parents. I'm guessing as you get older you will find it to be a neat piece of equipment and it'll be harder to find gear like that in good condition. The Penn 209 casting reel on mine was made in US, not sure how old but it is old. Too bad the corrosion got to it a bit but they are fully functional from what I can tell.

Good luck on the Cow in mid November. :thumleft: Sounds like the coho are stacked up pretty good below Barrier dam now although I haven't been out. There may be a good chance on the Puke too for chum before you head off to sunville.

The weather in Arizona will probably be VERY nice compared to what we'll be getting in December.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 am

I, for one, think that you scored. I like those old rods and reels. $10 isn't bad considering that some folks spend as much as $7 for a pack of cigarettes and that money just goes up in smoke. Once you get those reels cleaned up with WD-40, you can use something like Whale Spit to lube them. As long as the level wind pawl is working, you shouldn't have any problems with them.
You done good me thinks.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:I, for one, think that you scored. I like those old rods and reels. $10 isn't bad considering that some folks spend as much as $7 for a pack of cigarettes and that money just goes up in smoke. Once you get those reels cleaned up with WD-40, you can use something like Whale Spit to lube them. As long as the level wind pawl is working, you shouldn't have any problems with them.
You done good me thinks.
That's the spirit Lotech:) The WD-40 did a decent job along with some scrubbing with a little toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Still some spots from the corrosion but it is functional and that level wind feels nice reeling in.

The one spinning reel is pretty neat too. It was made in Germany and has a little jumping trout emblem on the side that I like, a DAM Quick reel. The base is heavy and kind of squarish/flattish compared to more modern rounded styles.

It is fun playing around/cleaning up old fishing stuff when time allows.

If I ever get around to a functional man cave I think these items may find their way onto a wall. AFTER they catch salmon so I can put some pictures next to them[biggrin] Would be neat to have one with a pic of wife landing a salmon, another with my daughter, and me to round it out.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:08 am

Did a little cleaning on one of the Penn 209 reels last night.:)
The one on the left I just WD-40d and lightly scrubbed. The one on the right (the red handled one) I cleaned a bit more than that. Had to use a little sandpaper to lightly abrade the corroded spots. The level wind works smoothly on both reels. Still need to clean the set screws/wing nuts part you can see hanging in the middle of the reel. Looks a lot better than in that first pic at least:cheers:

I think shad eating grin and Lotech were right. It cleaned up fairly well and is quite functional.
Attachments
a329.jpg
a329.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Those look like nice sturgeon reels. I use a similar penn on one of my sturgeon setups and have loved it. It would take a million yards of 85 lb braid if I wanted it to hahah.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm

knotabassturd wrote:
Lotech Joe wrote:I, for one, think that you scored. I like those old rods and reels. $10 isn't bad considering that some folks spend as much as $7 for a pack of cigarettes and that money just goes up in smoke. Once you get those reels cleaned up with WD-40, you can use something like Whale Spit to lube them. As long as the level wind pawl is working, you shouldn't have any problems with them.
You done good me thinks.
That's the spirit Lotech:) The WD-40 did a decent job along with some scrubbing with a little toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Still some spots from the corrosion but it is functional and that level wind feels nice reeling in.

The one spinning reel is pretty neat too. It was made in Germany and has a little jumping trout emblem on the side that I like, a DAM Quick reel. The base is heavy and kind of squarish/flattish compared to more modern rounded styles.

It is fun playing around/cleaning up old fishing stuff when time allows.

If I ever get around to a functional man cave I think these items may find their way onto a wall. AFTER they catch salmon so I can put some pictures next to them[biggrin] Would be neat to have one with a pic of wife landing a salmon, another with my daughter, and me to round it out.
"It was made in Germany and has a little jumping trout emblem on the side" Sounds like a "Quick" brand, I had a Quick 220 N, I did some darn good fishing with that spinning reel over 30 years ago!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"