Hog Canyon / Fourth of July - How's the fishing???

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Re: Hog Canyon / Fourth of July - How's the fishing???

Post by romanfishing » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 am

Only half of the lake

YellowSevenPot
Angler

Post by YellowSevenPot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Hit up the Hog again. Ice is 5 to 6 inches deep; lake isn't producing like last year. I have only caught one in three trips, and everyone I spoke to reported skunks. Two guys today said they were there from six am to 3 pm with out a bite.

- YellowSeven
Some like it hot.... Only a few of us know what that really means.

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm

I kind of hate to say it, but Hog Canyon is basically a hole full of farmed trout. Two years ago, when I first got into ice fishing, it was a good lake to go catch on, and everyone was basically taking home limits of trout. Unfortunately, and this is basically why any trout fishery in the state is in bad condition, trout are not sustainable if everyone who catches them keeps them. This is why Badger lake is in trouble... and that lake is top notch. Trout anglers will complain and cuss about foreign species, but the problem is and always has been fish eaters and the desire to catch and keep trout.

Sprague ought to be better if the ice is thick enough.