Hog Canyon / Fourth of July - How's the fishing???

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
russ2683
Petty Officer

Re: Hog Canyon / Fourth of July - How's the fishing???

Post by russ2683 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 pm

hey is there still ice out there

sobrien
Petty Officer

Post by sobrien » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 pm

4 / 5 inches thick

russ2683
Petty Officer

Post by russ2683 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

awesome thanks

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:18 pm

sobrien wrote:Thanks for the info Hewesfisher.
HTH. I much prefer folks enjoy their time on the water (or ice as appropriate) without risking a citation/fine. Fish on! :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

sobrien
Petty Officer

Post by sobrien » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey all,

Another great day of fishing at Hog's Canyon ! Pulled out four of these guys today. Could of had about ten if I wasn't having such a hard time setting the hook !

Does anyone ice fish Williams, Badger, or any of the other lakes down near Hog's ?

I am planning on being back out there next weekend if anyone has any interest in meeting up.

- Sean O.
Attachments
DSCF0173.jpg
DSCF0173.jpg (105.64 KiB) Viewed 5059 times

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Regs: Williams and Badger are closed till the Spring opener, me thinks............
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Oh, just looked at that fish again, over 17 inches, NICE FISH!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:40 pm

sobrien wrote:Hey all,

Another great day of fishing at Hog's Canyon ! Pulled out four of these guys today. Could of had about ten if I wasn't having such a hard time setting the hook !

Does anyone ice fish Williams, Badger, or any of the other lakes down near Hog's ?

I am planning on being back out there next weekend if anyone has any interest in meeting up.

- Sean O.
Just in case: HOG CANYON LAKE (Spokane Co.) TROUT Dec. 1-Mar. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 5. Up to 2 over 14" may be retained.

to avoid a ticket at Hog: Up to 2 over 14" may be retained.

sobrien
Petty Officer

Post by sobrien » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:09 pm

yeah they are closed... I really need to open the regs PDF before opening my inter-webs mouth. Anyone ever fish Williams in Stevens county ?

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Took the family (in laws) on a fun day to fourth of july today. First time ice fishing up in Wa and it sure was fun. We ended up with 12 fishs over 14in and 4 that was under between 9 people (lots of sisters and brother in laws:p) I was the only one that did catch my limit even those I was running around drilling holes (thank god I have a gas auger), fixing lines, baiting and ununhooking fish all day. Some how I did it. I only kepted my 2 biggest over 14" which was 18", 16" and release the rest of the 3 which were only 10-12". We were on the ice @ 9am and fish on after 15 min. Ice is still around 5-6" thick. Im sure we would had landed more but the in laws didn't really now how to set the hook, so there was a lot of missed fish.

We used power bait, worms, corn, marshmallow, maggots and jigs. It all works. We caught fish in different depths from 6ft to the bottom which where we was @ is about 15 ft. After I caught my limit (took about 2 1/2 hours) it was time for lunch so we all had lunch on the ice. After that it was a lot of playing around and sitting. It slowed down a lot after 12pm so we left 2:30pm. All around it was a fun lake to fish and ill be sure to come back. GL fishing and be safe.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 pm

sobrien wrote:yeah they are closed... I really need to open the regs PDF before opening my inter-webs mouth. Anyone ever fish Williams in Stevens county ?
I've fished it a few times, really haven't had much success there myself. There's an aerator in the middle of the lake, this large area around the aerator rarely freezes.(I've never seen it frozen)

There are fish there, they are nice fish, I just haven't figured that one out. The method that I've been told that works best is put a boat in when there isn't much ice and troll.

Last year, I fished it with little success, a nice one armed russian or east european showed up. He walks out towards the precarious edge of the ice, casts into the open water and commences to catch one fish after another. I had walked toward that edge earlier, too thin for my comfort. My hat is off to the Russian! I'll bring a boat next time! LOL

sobrien
Petty Officer

Post by sobrien » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Anyone ever taken a 2 wd 4 cyl. pick-um-up truck down the Hog canyon road in 12 inches of snow ?

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Haven't been myself but seem to recall it can get a bit dicey. LOL Bring chains and load some pellets in the back!

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 pm

sobrien wrote:Anyone ever taken a 2 wd 4 cyl. pick-um-up truck down the Hog canyon road in 12 inches of snow ?
dunno if you were joking, but i'll bite... i wouldn't take my 4x4 v8 tahoe down there with 12" of snow. i probably wouldn't even attempt it at half that much snow. even a little rain would leave it greasy enough i wouldn't try it. the last section is really steep.

i grew up on a ranch in montana and have been in some deep hairy stuff and know my way around in it, but i also know when not to try it. that's a long walk home in spotty cell coverage.

if you were just kidding, joke's on me. #-o

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 pm

In past years, folks have gotten their vehicles stranded there during icy/greasy conditions. That hill is very steep. Vehicles were left for days until the weather warmed and the road melted to a muddy mess!

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm

sobrien wrote:Anyone ever taken a 2 wd 4 cyl. pick-um-up truck down the Hog canyon road in 12 inches of snow ?
Take your tent with you. You might stay there overnight or until it will melt down :salut:

sobrien
Petty Officer

Post by sobrien » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Handled the eight or so inches that day no problem... probably wouldn't try it with an ice base though. That last hill appears to be a dozzy in the wrong condition. But can't see the rest of the way ever being so bad.

Anyone heading out there tomorrow ?

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 pm

sobrien wrote:Anyone heading out there tomorrow ?
Great question, I hope we hear from someone. I have ben dying to get out there but havent seen a report in quite a while. Have no idea what the road or ice conditions are.

sobrien
Petty Officer

Post by sobrien » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Was out last Sunday. Ice was about 5 or six inches. Fishing was great between 1:30 - 3:00. Road was good ( i drive a 2wd ford ranger);however, I parked at the top of the last hill. Few people parked at the bottom though.

MegaSpokaneMan
Angler

Post by MegaSpokaneMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:46 am

Hey all,

I really got the itch bad to hit the water... anyone have any infor on Hog Canyon ? We have any safe ice yet ? Does it seem to anyone else that this season is taking its sweet ass time ?

- Mega :nemo: