30 holes/12 trout

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
panfisher
Captain

30 holes/12 trout

Post by panfisher » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 pm

went out monday the 12th for the first day of ice fishing! Went to N. Elton Pond in Selah Drill'd 30 holes {ice averaged 4"} fish some bright marabou jigs I tied. others were baitfishing and some fish were caught. caught 12 nice fat BOWS Kept 2 as that is the limit for this pond. regardless what a local claims about the rules you can catch and release all the fish you want untill you (RETAIN) your limit (2) when not using bait or scent and/or the fish didn't swallow the lure or get mortally wound'd Which once you retain'd your limit. you must stop fishing,as which was confirm'd from a quick call to the yakima wsfw.
Attachments
Dec. 2011 034.JPG
Dec. 2011 034.JPG (165.61 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Dec. 2011 026.JPG
Dec. 2011 026.JPG (138.26 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
Dec. 2011 023.JPG
Dec. 2011 023.JPG (183.41 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: 30 holes/12 trout

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Excellent pictures. Looks to be two jigs on one line? NO trout candy used on this trip? I could use some pointers. Is ice fishing for trout a bottom bouncing affair do to oxygen and water temp? Are the holes dug from shallow to deeper water or why in a line like they are?

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 pm

under tackle rules you may use up to 3 hooks on one line per angler. angling with several jigs helps the odds on hook-ups and will help determine whats hot (color). I used up and gave away all the candy jigs this year and have not resupplied the colored skirts (cabela's has a Great selection) I will start near the bottom as trout in these pond structures root the bottom alot but will cruz at all levels. this pond averaged 8ft from the first hole(furtherest out) till i found were it banked up and were the weadline started. this is usually a great spot as the trout like to follow weedlines and/or area's that would be used as a highway plus it is another area of food source. Trout are siteup feeders as they will go up to food more than they will go down when they see it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:40 pm

nice photos - added to the lake database!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 pm

panfisher wrote:caught 12 nice fat BOWS Kept 2 as that is the limit for this pond. regardless what a local claims about the rules you can catch and release all the fish you want untill you (RETAIN) your limit (2) when not using bait or scent and/or the fish didn't swallow the lure or get mortally wound'd Which once you retain'd your limit. you must stop fishing,as which was confirm'd from a quick call to the yakima wsfw.
WOW! You don't know how happy I was to read a post from someone who takes the time to read the regs and understand what they say. I don't ice fish, but I sure read the posts from those who do and correct the misinformed on what the rules say. Press on with your C&R practices, that's how you have a nice day on the ice until you decide to retain a limit. :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount