DIY Jig Head Painting ?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

DIY Jig Head Painting ?

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 pm

I am starting to paint my own jig heads. I am using vinyl paint for lures. What I would like to know is how many coats to put on and how to clean out the eye of the hook?

Do you think the fish will mind of some of the jigs are coneheads?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

YellowBear
Captain

RE:DIY Jig Head Painting ?

Post by YellowBear » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 am

Toni,
They make a tool called an eye buster that you can find at some bait shops or at Bass Pro or Cabellas.
It sounds like you may be getting to much paint on your jigs. I use the powder coat, its more user friendly.
I don't think the fish will care if a few come out cone shaped but it could cause your jig to run side ways.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 am

use a old hook point to clean it.... any thing that will fit through the eye#-o
fish on!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 am

:money: Cheep and easy Tooth picks ? I repaint my used jigs with finger nail polish cheep and easy with gliter colors.[thumbsup]
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 am

YellowBear wrote:Toni,
They make a tool called an eye buster that you can find at some bait shops or at Bass Pro or Cabellas.
It sounds like you may be getting to much paint on your jigs. I use the powder coat, its more user friendly.
I don't think the fish will care if a few come out cone shaped but it could cause your jig to run side ways.
I googled eye buster and for jigs there was one entry that said to use a split ring pliers (sharpened). What I did is use the pliers on both sides of the eye then push out the paint with a small sharp object. Worked much better than the other way I was doing it.

I choose to use the vinyl paint over powder because I was hoping the paint to stay on a little longer if it hit rocks. I just dip it in the jar of paint and let dry. I have put on several coats.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:32 am

I have just started painting my own jigs and I have found that the powder paint can actually handle more abuse than the vinyl. All you have to do is heat the jighead and dip it in the powder. Then clean the eye out of ALL paint. Then bake them on a rack at about 250 degrees. This makes the paint incredibly hard and durable. Give it a try if you get a chance. It really works.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 am

Powder coating is the toughest paint by far. Because of the process used, it bonds on a molecular level.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:58 am

aaron42ash wrote:I have just started painting my own jigs and I have found that the powder paint can actually handle more abuse than the vinyl. All you have to do is heat the jighead and dip it in the powder. Then clean the eye out of ALL paint. Then bake them on a rack at about 250 degrees. This makes the paint incredibly hard and durable. Give it a try if you get a chance. It really works.
Maybe after I use the other stuff up. It will only take about 12 or so more jigs. How much paint does the powder coat use?

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Dipping jigs takes very little powder coat. Heat the lead with a lighter or small torch for a few seconds, dip first in white basecoat (makes the top coat much brighter), reheat gently and dip into colored powder. Hang over a string to cool a bit and break out the eye. When you are finished hang on your oven rack and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Very hard finish! You can mix powder colors to get nearly any color that you want. Will they still chip? Yes but not too bad. If they get too ugly looking I repaint them with nail polish.
Life's short - fish hard!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 am

I've had great results using the PRO-TEC line of paints, and following the technique wolverine outlines above, for football, round and darter head jigs. I've also tried it with Bullet weights drop shot weights, Egg Sinkers, and even Hooks. The hook didn't work very well, but the others were ok. Be careful when you are using a lighter to heat the lead or you may end up with some very interesting deformities..or worse when you overheat them. I've also used the toothpick method to keep the eyes clean and that worked fine, but for the weights, I had to use a very thin diameter wire to run all the way through it. Have fun!
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I also use powder paint, but I also have a dip paint that is used for plastics, but works on anything, and it takes about 4 days to get it off your skin.
But what I do Toni, is I grab the eye w/ the pliers and dip it in the powder (should work for vinyl as well) so the eye dosnt even touch the paint.

I havnt actually used vinyl, but I would also recomend the switch over to powder as well. The process is very easy and unlike liquid paint there isnt any mess, well at least the mess can be cleaned up with a vacuum or duster and not more chemicals. Just dont let the jar of powder sit out in the sun, or on your dash like I did, what I was left with was a block of paint. Gulp! plastics and PRO-TEC powder paint dont mix well with Columbia Basin July heat

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 am

gpc wrote:I also use powder paint, but I also have a dip paint that is used for plastics, but works on anything, and it takes about 4 days to get it off your skin.
But what I do Toni, is I grab the eye w/ the pliers and dip it in the powder (should work for vinyl as well) so the eye dosnt even touch the paint.

I havnt actually used vinyl, but I would also recomend the switch over to powder as well. The process is very easy and unlike liquid paint there isnt any mess, well at least the mess can be cleaned up with a vacuum or duster and not more chemicals. Just dont let the jar of powder sit out in the sun, or on your dash like I did, what I was left with was a block of paint. Gulp! plastics and PRO-TEC powder paint dont mix well with Columbia Basin July heat
gpc, can you share the name of the dip paint you use for plastics? Thanks!
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 am

davidwat1 wrote:
gpc wrote:I also use powder paint, but I also have a dip paint that is used for plastics, but works on anything, and it takes about 4 days to get it off your skin.

Yes it is called Quick-Coat Lure dip. It will actually work on anything. Its nice because you can dip blades, spoons and hooks 1 time and the metal will show threw and give it a metalic look or you can dip plastics over and over and and they will have a deeper color. I am pretty sure I got it from the Do It molds website. The only down side is it stains ANYTHING it touches, and lasts a VERY long time, but I guess that is what we are going for when we want to paint our lures.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 pm

AWESOME! Thanks for the tip!!!!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Toni wrote:
YellowBear wrote:Toni,
I googled eye buster and for jigs there was one entry that said to use a split ring pliers (sharpened). What I did is use the pliers on both sides of the eye then push out the paint with a small sharp object. Worked much better than the other way I was doing it.

I choose to use the vinyl paint over powder because I was hoping the paint to stay on a little longer if it hit rocks. I just dip it in the jar of paint and let dry. I have put on several coats.
Toni, just in case you are having problems finding the eye buster DoIt Website carrys them..

Eyebuster
This little tool belongs on every tacklemaker’s workbench and in every fisherman’s tacklebox. The Eyebuster quickly and efficiently punches paint clogs out of the eyes of hooks on painted lures. Item# 2117
$2.50

http://www.do-itmolds.com/product.aspx?i=428
Attachments
428_2_eyebuster.jpg
428_2_eyebuster.jpg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 5178 times

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am

gpc wrote:
davidwat1 wrote:

Yes it is called Quick-Coat Lure dip. It will actually work on anything. Its nice because you can dip blades, spoons and hooks 1 time and the metal will show threw and give it a metalic look or you can dip plastics over and over and and they will have a deeper color. I am pretty sure I got it from the Do It molds website. The only down side is it stains ANYTHING it touches, and lasts a VERY long time, but I guess that is what we are going for when we want to paint our lures.
I've had good results coloring plastics (like grubs and worms) with regular permanent pens (like Sharpies). The ink permeates the plastic material and does not wash off. Also, since it is ink, the action is not affected (due to any added weight or coating).

If I have a white or clear grub plastic, for example, i can color them with a brown/orange/green sharpie to get a crawdad look.

You don't want to use too much... the sharpie ink spreads thru the plastic after a few hours. Just use a dab here and there.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Powder paint all the way. However I would recommend using a heat gun instead of lighter/candle or fire of any type. You can get a heat gun at harbor freight tools for as low as $7.99 when on sale, which is real often. I use that same heat gun and it works great even on the low setting. If you don't have a harbor freight close to you, just go online at harborfreight.com
They also have powder paint, but only black, white, red, and yellow. I paid $3.99($4.99 when not on sale) for a pound (16oz) I pay about $6.00 for 2oz of the other stuff, but you can get all kinds of great colors. I found a place on ebay that has lots of good colors and sells it in 1 oz containers for only about $3.00.... also has UV

steelheader
Angler

Post by steelheader » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:39 am

my buddy ties jigs for a few guides and uses powder paint.and if you can't find the eye buster go to the fly section at a tackle shop they have a set of clippers with a eye poker on one side make sure to clean the eye before baking. and yes bake your jigs it makes them more durabull and helps paint smooth out and look uniformed and some colors end up with a better sheen or gloss, try to get a toaster oven you can keep it next to your work area and there is no mess in the food oven and no getting chewed out, and get some tupperware cups, then you just have a little bit out and you can make some new colors of your own

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:49 am

Just an update...got the eye buster and it wasn't good for me. I now use straightened paper clips. I have 2 sizes.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 am

Toni

Did you switch from Vinyl to powder? If so, which one did you settle with? I started tying my own jigs and painting is the next logical step. In my experience, the jigs I have bought, the vinyl ones seem to hold up better and have brighter colors so I am tempted to go towards vinyl (especially since I have the time & space to dip & dry).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”