My Experimental Rod Holder for My Solo Steelhead Outings

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
islandbass
Commander

My Experimental Rod Holder for My Solo Steelhead Outings

Post by islandbass » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:12 am

I made a very simple contraption that will hopefully assist me when I hook into my first steelhead. Given the rule, if I understand it correctly, that they must be kept in the water unless they are being retained when legal, I have often wondered how I could take a photo of the fish, while still holding the rod in one hand (I am not going to do the, “hold it by the teeth method,” no way), keeping it in the water, AND trying to hold a camera. The simplest way would be to have a buddy around to take the photo. Unfortunately, most of the time I go fishing, I am usually alone.

I got a small section of PVC tubing and put it together with a few other items to that should enable me to at least be able to hold the line with one hand and the camera with the other.

In descending order, a 5.5” PVC pipe (1.5” diameter), a Slide Lock, 5’ of black strapping, and a strip of Velcro.

I fed the strapping through the PVC tube and attached the ends of the strapping to the slide lock. Next, I wrapped the Velcro strip around the strapping. This Velcro strip is probably a short-term solution until I can think of a better way to hold the blank to the strap, but it seems to work.

You put it on as you would a bag with a strap, and then feed the butt of the rod through the tube. Then, you hold a section of the rod blank by the Velcro. My son was more than happy to help me by acting as a model.

This little contraption seems to hold my 8’6” rod pretty well, even with some harsh movements and jumping. Granted it has yet to be tested in the real world but I think things look promising at this point.

My son thought it was pretty neat and wanted one for his Spiderman rod. I suppose it’s the least I can do for his willing assistance. Although I don’t know when I will get the chance go fishing, I can’t wait to test it.

-ib

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:My Experimental Rod Holder for My Solo Steelhead Outings

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:02 am

It looks interesting. How do you cast and work the rod while its on? Or do you secure it after your catch?

My son likes Lego Starwars too! :cheers:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:27 am

The norm, when taking a photo, is to place the rod next to the fish and hope that A: no one steps on it when they come to gawk at your catch B: the fish is spent enough so that it doens't flop around and break you rod in the process.

I like your solution, very creative and more rod friendly.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks, guys. I hear you both. Yeah, my intention is to secure the rod into the holder after the fish is hopefully exhausted. The holder should be good for the contingent there is no nice place to also lay the rod down.

Someone also suggested that it would also be great for rebaiting and retying while wading without having to put your rig down. Hadn't thought of that, but that but that is pretty cool too.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 am

Check out the the sportsmans show. There will be a guy there selling a rig very close to what you have there. His is like a tactical pistol holster that straps to your thigh. Just slip the butt of the rod in the tube and you're good to go. Now I'm not suggesting that you buy one but take a look and make your own, very easy. I enjoy making my own stuff like that too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

there is a deal like that advertised in sts magazine that looks like it would be handy, they show it at www.fishingpolesling.com but like bodo says I also like making my own, but you can get ideas from it.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm

they had those little do-dads on the ends of his sling in a jar on the counter at OE when I was there a week a go. I'll be a guy could get them unstrung and a piece of elastic from Seattle fabric too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I just saw those little things at sportco to just the other day. That is also a pretty neat sling thing too. It's focus appears to be for transport and the bottom part sure beats using a piece of PVC. Mine is more focused on keeping hands free for that first photo while the two rod pieces are still together. I'm going to see if mine can be a sling too. :)

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Good idea, my chest pack has something similar but it is all on one side so the rod is more vertical. It works great for rebaiting/changing up while standing waist deep in the water. I am always trying to minimize the amount of weight I carry. You could get away with 1/2 or even 1/4 of the pvc that you currently have on that. Or better yet just take a piece of the strap and sew it in a into a loop onto the chest strap and get rid of the pvc all together.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:06 pm

My wading jacket I bought has a built in holder. Just a loop of fabric on the bottom and a velcro strap on my chest. The handle goes in the loop on my right side and there is velcro on the left side that keeps the rod in a similar position as your set up. It is a cabelas back country jacket.
More fish please!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 pm

flinginpooh wrote:My wading jacket I bought has a built in holder. Just a loop of fabric on the bottom and a velcro strap on my chest. The handle goes in the loop on my right side and there is velcro on the left side that keeps the rod in a similar position as your set up. It is a cabelas back country jacket.
And there is the lightbulb! My vest has this feature and I never could figure out what the heck that velcro strap was for :scratch: . I hang my hemostats off the thing. Well that is a fun bit of information :cheers: . Thanks!

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”