Selling my tackle on-line?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
dbrowning
Petty Officer

Selling my tackle on-line?

Post by dbrowning » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I'm thinking about selling my tackle on-line. Just getting an idea of how much interest there would be in buying some of this stuff. The picture is just a sample of what I make. Different colors can be made. Let me know if I need to learn how to make some other things as well. Always looking for suggestions and advice.

Thanks, Dave
Trying to get my picture loaded. Hopefully soon!
Attachments
tackle_.jpg
tackle_.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Selling my tackle on-line?

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:34 am

You know, I don't know how well you could do. If it were me, I guess I would first try to sell some on e-bay and see what prices you got. This should be on the low end, mostly because e-bay is a bargain shoppers dream, but...................you never know.

On some forums, they have member sales/trading spot. I suppose there might be some web sites for fishing that have this, so perhaps.................?

Good luck on your endeavor.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:10 pm

Hey Dave,..Bass gear maybe,..man if you could make some Spinners/Chatters something 2 that effect who knows,..I'd consider buying,..LOL,..I could be one of your "Product-Testers",..LOL,..but seriously who knows it might pay off,..!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Good looking lures!

I considered selling jigs, spinners, etc online, but after some market research and crunching the numbers, return on investment wasn't too hot. Fishing is a multi-billion dollar industry, and there's LOTS of competition. It's hard to compete with lure companies that manufacture their products overseas in massive quantities using cheap labor. The biggest expense when making your own lures is time (also known as "opportunity cost"), so you've got to figure out exactly how much your time is really worth.

So then I considered specialty products -- you know, coming up with killer ideas for lures that are not currently on the market. This concept has possibilities, but the window of opportunity is relatively small. As soon as word gets out about killer new lures, the "big boys" will waste no time flooding the market with cheap imitations. Then it's back to the drawing board... #-o

Also, I've heard people say that transforming a rewarding hobby into a job can take all the fun out of it... :shaking:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Good point HBG,..maybe just some local friends or WL buyers would be the target for his sales? Like I said, I'd try some Bass gear if he made some,..and I know of a few other Bassers that would also,..JMO!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:55 am

I know for my ownself ,I tie all my own hooks and make my own gear much like you do.My theory is if I lose a fish to a bad tie and I tie it then I can only blame myself.If its a commercial tie then I get peoed.
Are you licensed and do you have a bus lic to sell would be another thing.If youre making money ? are you paying the taxes on your sales.If youre selling off used or older gear its one thing.If youre selling here To avoid a lic . or taxes then thats something else.Im not implying anything Im just stateing a concern.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”