Where to get lead?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Where to get lead?

Post by Skeeterpilot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 am

I just bought a Do-it jig mold and was wondering where everyone gets their lead. I have read that tire weights are made from "hard" lead and not the optimal type to use. Obviously it would be best to get lead for free when possible to keep the cost down so where does one find it? I plan to start hitting up garage sales for old fishing sinkers, down rigger weights, etc.

Also where do you buy your jig hooks? I have found the best price so far at Jan's Netcraft if bought per the 1000 box.

Any suggestions?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Where to get lead?

Post by Amx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:00 am

I have some I'm not going to use.
Tom.

Interests: living

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks Tom, PM sent, call me...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 am

Call made, message left with phone number. I think I'm gonna take a nap, got up early this morning, call anyway.
Tom.

Interests: living

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:42 pm

tire weights work just fine for jig heads. Tire weights are all I use.

but they are hard to find nowadays, since most tire shops (like Les Schwab) have contracts with metal dealers for the used tire weights. Either they won't sell/give to you at all, or they sell it at a price that sometimes exceed the market price for lead. (For example, tire weights are made up of lead, other metals mixed with the lead, and the steel clips--if you are buying it by the pound, make sure you take into account the non-lead portion of the total weight to see if you are really getting a good deal compared to the market price of lead).

About 5 years ago, I was able to get a bucket full of tire weights (a lifetime supply). I called all the smaller mom and pop tire stores, and found a small place that had a barrel in the back that they were giving away.

If you want to use pure lead and want to use old sinkers, downrigger weights, etc. to melt down, try to get a price as low as possible. Garage sales, as you mentioned, is a good start. I once saw a tackle box full of old sinkers selling for about $1 at a garage sale. There was about 10 lbs of lead in it, but I did not buy since I already had enough. At Goodwill, I saw a diver's belt full of lead slabs, selling for about 5 bucks. That also would have been a good deal.

Pogue
Petty Officer

Post by Pogue » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I've got a bunch of lead I've been tryin to get rid of

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Pogue wrote:I've got a bunch of lead I've been tryin to get rid of
I'll be glad to take it off of your hands. What ya wanting for it?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:14 pm

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.html

This is a great site to get your hooks, the also sell lead ingots for the jig heads. I prefer Gamakatsu 604 heavy wire, but they run about $.33 a piece. Matzu Sickle hooks are tough to beat. They are probably sharper than Gamis out the package, and are comparable in quality they run about $.07 per hook.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/

Another good site that has a little of everything and some stuff that no other site has. But for some reason the actual Do-it molds run about $20 more from the website than anywhere else. Most prices on this site run a little more, so shop around. But like I said they offer some unique stuff and have a HUGE selection of materials

Edit: I also use tire weights and Have not had any problems. If you know anybody in construction tell them to keep their eyes peeled. I got some from a roof demo and from an x ray room demo. But at $4 a pound you can still buy it and save a bundle.But they will only ship up to 5 lbs at a time, hazardous material.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pogue
Petty Officer

Post by Pogue » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Big D wrote:
Pogue wrote:I've got a bunch of lead I've been tryin to get rid of
I'll be glad to take it off of your hands. What ya wanting for it?
I'll give to whoever wants it!

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Pogue, thanks for the offer, PM sent.

Shad Eathing Grin: Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone who has used the tire weights before. I kinda figured that the tire stores would not just give it away anymore, too much money in it for them. However I had never considered divers belts.

GPC: Thanks for the info, I did find Do-it molds site but I bought their mold through BPS instead. Your right, a little cheaper there.

I now need to find something to melt with. Has anyone used the Hot Pot 2? Considereing one of those as it seems to be an all in one solution rather than having to have a heat source.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:13 am

Skeeterpilot wrote:Pogue, thanks for the offer, PM sent.

Shad Eathing Grin: Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone who has used the tire weights before. I kinda figured that the tire stores would not just give it away anymore, too much money in it for them. However I had never considered divers belts.

GPC: Thanks for the info, I did find Do-it molds site but I bought their mold through BPS instead. Your right, a little cheaper there.

I now need to find something to melt with. Has anyone used the Hot Pot 2? Considereing one of those as it seems to be an all in one solution rather than having to have a heat source.
Go to Ebay and get a Lee bottom pour pot. A good used one should cost you 25 bucks or less plus shipping.

I got my Lee from Ebay and it is the only thing I have used. I really like it.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Check with roofer's supply houses. Roofers used to use sheet lead for flashing around chimneys and roof vents. Not sure if it's legal anymore. If there is a profit for anyone, then it's probably still legal.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for the idea Joe. It's funny you don't realize what all lead is used for until you start looking for it. Lots of good ideas I would never have thought of.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:11 pm

I would also recommend the one Shad_Eating_Grin is talking about. I have a melting pot similar to the Hot Pot 2 and it is a pain in the but. I am going to upgrade ASAP to a bottom pour type pot. It is possible to melt lead on a stove top, probably not the safest idea and probably makes 1 hell of a mess, but in a pinch it will get the job done.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:27 pm

i might of found 34 pounds of lead for ya
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm

curado wrote:i might of found 34 pounds of lead for ya
[omg] thats going to be "ONE BIG JIG" :thumright

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Curado, PM sent. I'll see if my friend in Mill Creek would be able to get together with you.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Tire weights work just fine. I use them to make plunking weights. I make 4,5,and 6 oz weights.There is a metal clip on the tire weight. That wont melt down. I remove those with tongs.Then I pour.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:49 pm

I've used old solder, pluming and electrical, it is a mixture of lead and tin. If I needed some now, I'd call Pacific Iron and Metal in Seattle to see what they have available. You can also bust up an old lead acid battery, it can be messy and you'll need a bunch of baking soda to neutralize the acid, but they hold a lot of lead.

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:24 pm

racfish wrote:Tire weights work just fine. I use them to make plunking weights. I make 4,5,and 6 oz weights.There is a metal clip on the tire weight. That wont melt down. I remove those with tongs.Then I pour.
Thanks Racfish. Good to hear that guys are using the tire weights w/o any problems. I'll start pulling them off all the tires at work. :-"

Upon others advice here I ordered a Lee bottom pour pot. I checked out the few that were available on Ebay used and after figuring in the shipping I would only have saved $20-25 or so. Not worth taking the risk of getting something with the nozzle messed up (which I hear is an issue with them). I'd rather have the warranty for the extra money.

Getting closer to getting some jigs made.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”