Baitcaster 101

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
SPARKY101
Captain

RE:Baitcaster 101

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Im a right hand man in a right hand world#-o "J/J lefties its cool"But all my reels are left hand reel im kinda like ambidextrouse if you wanna call it
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:14 am

SPARKY101 wrote:Im a right hand man in a right hand world#-o "J/J lefties its cool"But all my reels are left hand reel im kinda like ambidextrouse if you wanna call it
Yeah that's me 2!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:33 am

SPARKY101 wrote:Im a right hand man in a right hand world#-o "J/J lefties its cool"But all my reels are left hand reel im kinda like ambidextrouse if you wanna call it
I'm not ambidextrous, but I am right handed and use left handed baitcaster reels. I feel it's more comfortable to have your strong hand holding the rig and the other can turn a little handle. To me I think the baitcaster concept of right handed and left handed is backwards.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:50 am

I 100% totaly agree

Team OLYBOYZ

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:55 am

I wish they made ALL baitcasters with interchangeable retrieves like on the much cheaper models. Picked up another Left Handed Baitcaster Shimano Curado $200.00+ retail,..got a great deal from a friend who hates Baitcasters,..brand new,..paid less than $100.00,..:cheers:Nice reel,..very smooth and user friendly!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 am

I agree with that as well ... It is how I have my spinning reel set up and it was a learning curve as well with the baitcaster that has the righthanded retrieve now.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:03 pm

[/quote]I feel it's more comfortable to have your strong hand holding the rig and the other can turn a little handle. To me I think the baitcaster concept of right handed and left handed is backwards.
[/quote]

I also agree. It took a whole day of birdnesting when I finally got the hang of it.
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:21 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I got my 1st baitcaster last spring, the above helped alot! Another thing somebody told me that made a far bigger difference than I ever thought it would (at least for me) for an overhead cast was to twist your wrist so that the spool is facing sideways, not up. Once I started doing it, my casts improved dramatically.
That was one of the biggest bits of information. shifting the reel so the spool is sideways during the cast was a huge improvement. Also I tightened up the cast control more so that the lure doesnt move when I release the spool and my back lashes have almost disappeared. I think I will be able to loosen it a little as I get more casts under my belt. I used my new reel over the weekend sharing its time with my spinning reel and I was only getting one back lash per trip on the water.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Yeah baitcasting at times can be a hassle. I was really good when I was younger but then trent took me out and I struggled heavily with getting the timing down and how much to put behind the cast. I now have about 5 baitcasting sets vs 2 spinning set ups. Practice is the best thing you can do and to always be conscious about lure weights as previously stated. One last thing. Don't try to fight against the wind. I am 1-11 against the wind :(

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:57 pm

RB wrote:Yeah baitcasting at times can be a hassle. I was really good when I was younger but then trent took me out and I struggled heavily with getting the timing down and how much to put behind the cast. I now have about 5 baitcasting sets vs 2 spinning set ups. Practice is the best thing you can do and to always be conscious about lure weights as previously stated. One last thing. Don't try to fight against the wind. I am 1-11 against the wind :(
Totally agree on this one,..when I first started with my Baitcasters,..they were always the last pole 2 grab because of the lack of confidence,..but then I went down to a dock on Lake Wa early one morning and while no one was there I tossed for about 1 straight hour adjusting and fighting birdsnests the whole time till I figured out what I was doing wrong,..since then I hardly ever pick up my Spincasting Poles! Practice is the key! Teaching my 9 year old daughter how 2 use it now,..she's amazing!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 pm

best tip i would suggest. click the reel to free spool and once the bait hits the ground, there shouldnt be any line spooling off.

At least thats what the pros taught me, and it works well.
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Its all in the adjustments,read the manual if you need to....The more you spend the less trouble you should have and the better distance of throwing it as hard as you can,in turn the better reel you get i say SPLURGE i have been,why not if its something you love.:cheers:

Team OLYBOYZ

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Basstradamus wrote:best tip i would suggest. click the reel to free spool and once the bait hits the ground, there shouldnt be any line spooling off.

At least thats what the pros taught me, and it works well.
Yes that's how I was taught as well,..since the lure weights can vary one must adjust tension when a change is made in the lure weight before casting or the possiblity of a birdsnest exsist,..also remember,.."your thumb is your friend",..use it to pinpoint your casts!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”